Production NCASE M1EVO

Marijan

Efficiency Noob
Jan 29, 2021
Looks cool! Hope it gets the same feet like the old one because I was loving them. Also I like that it is not brushed (Brushed is very old school in my opinion).

What I am really missing is a headphone jack at the front panel! I am working in VFX and with some projects I just need a headphone

Reactions: rfarmer

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Looks cool! Hope it gets the same feet like the old one because I was loving them. Also I like that it is not brushed (Brushed is very old school in my opinion).

What I am really missing is a headphone jack at the front panel! I am working in VFX and with some projects I just need a headphone

+1 for front headphone jack.

I have both soundbar & headphone connected to my PC.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
+1 for front headphone jack.

I have both soundbar & headphone connected to my PC.
-1 for front headphone jack.

Front panel "HD" audio quality is awful and prone to interference, quite a few people had issues with the one on the original M1.

Just use the rear I/O headphone jack or if you only have one output, use a type-c dac/amp dongle on the front ports. They're like €20 for a good one these days.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
-1 for front headphone jack.

Front panel "HD" audio quality is awful and prone to interference, quite a few people had issues with the one on the original M1.

Just use the rear I/O headphone jack or if you only have one output, use a type-c dac/amp dongle on the front ports. They're like €20 for a good one these days.
This.

I can't believe there are people who actually use front panel audio. It has been an inferior option on every computer case I've ever used, including my NCase M1 v5. Static, hissing, left channel cutting out, etc.

Plugging directly into the rear of the motherboard always got me better results, and even then, onboard motherboard audio is inferior to even a cheap USB DAC. and a USB DAC is more convenient anyway - run a long USB to the back of your PC, place the DAC on your desk wherever you want it. You can have the DAC right next to your keyboard, even closer than the front panel of your PC...

Anyway, the new pics of the case look great! I just hope that "smaller" doesn't mean similar or worse GPU compatibility than the old NCase. I'd welcome it being larger to accommodate large GPUs without issues...

Reactions: ncook06

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
This.

I can't believe there are people who actually use front panel audio. It has been an inferior option on every computer case I've ever used, including my NCase M1 v5. Static, hissing, left channel cutting out, etc.

Plugging directly into the rear of the motherboard always got me better results, and even then, onboard motherboard audio is inferior to even a cheap USB DAC. and a USB DAC is more convenient anyway - run a long USB to the back of your PC, place the DAC on your desk wherever you want it. You can have the DAC right next to your keyboard, even closer than the front panel of your PC...

Anyway, the new pics of the case look great! I just hope that "smaller" doesn't mean similar or worse GPU compatibility than the old NCase. I'd welcome it being larger to accommodate large GPUs without issues...

Chicks dig DACs. Been using the Rode AI-1 for over a year, absolutely love it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Many others have no issue using front audio jack (albeit on a different case), me included.

Yes, USB DAC is an option, but the hassle of extra cables & device is a bit meh. Also, my ears are not sophisticated enough to be able to hear the audio improvement offered by a DAC, so yeah..

Not sure why it is so hard to put an audio jack there? There are 2 USB-A holes & 2 USB-C holes, so it seems there's enough space. Surely one can be re-purposed?

Reactions: rindo and rfarmer

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
Many others have no issue using front audio jack (albeit on a different case), me included.

Yes, USB DAC is an option, but the hassle of extra cables & device is a bit meh. Also, my ears are not sophisticated enough to be able to hear the audio improvement offered by a DAC, so yeah..

Not sure why it is so hard to put an audio jack there? There are 2 USB-A holes & 2 USB-C holes, so it seems there's enough space. Surely one can be re-purposed?
The way I see it, USB can be used for audio devices and much more, but 3.5mm audio jacks can't be used for anything besides audio, so personally I'd rather have more front USB for the versatility. If you don't want a fancy audiophile-quality DAC, you don't have to spend a lot. Something like this $25 option from Creative could just be plugged into a front USB.

Also, ASUS announced an ITX motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X670E ITX) that just won't have onboard audio on it at all:

If we see this becoming a trend...well, a case with 3.5mm jacks on the front that you can't use wouldn't be a very future-proof design...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The way I see it, USB can be used for audio devices and much more, but 3.5mm audio jacks can't be used for anything besides audio, so personally I'd rather have more front USB for the versatility. If you don't want a fancy audiophile-quality DAC, you don't have to spend a lot. Something like this $25 option from Creative could just be plugged into a front USB.

Also, ASUS announced an ITX motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X670E ITX) that just won't have onboard audio on it at all:

If we see this becoming a trend...well, a case with 3.5mm jacks on the front that you can't use wouldn't be a very future-proof design...

From versatility POV, of course a USB port is better compared to a 3.5mm audio jack. I don't deny that. It's just that I'm not really a big fan of adding an intermediary device. The creative DAC looks good though.

Btw, correct me if I'm wrong - at a glance it seems that a USB A cutout hole is large enough to handle an audio jack? Perhaps a separate jack is possible while still using one of the USB A holes?

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020

That's interesting since I already use a USB DAC/Amp and those audio jacks do take up space on the back of the Mobo

dwade

Efficiency Noob
May 26, 2020
Hope it's wider this time around to accomolate large CPU heatsinks. Zen 4 and Raptor Lake are gonna run hot as hell. Add RTX 4090 into the conversation and it's practically a volcano science project.

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
Also picking up an interest in going with NCase's cases, despite never owning one. Went with ThorZone's offering as a first SFF build but sadly ditched it due to thermal issues once I upgraded my GPU. That's all I did. I went with an NR200 as my next build, introducing 12th gen into it. I'm now looking for an "endgame" watercooled build and I'm digging around several cases in my plans.

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
With new 40 series cards coming in as big as 3.5 slots and 357mm long, would the new Ncase be adjusted for that? Feels like it would be a huge adjustment in volume maybe better suited for a different case entirely. Here's the link to the new cards - Asus ROG 40 series cards

Exist50

Trash Compacter
Feb 25, 2021
With new 40 series cards coming in as big as 3.5 slots and 357mm long, would the new Ncase be adjusted for that? Feels like it would be a huge adjustment in volume maybe better suited for a different case entirely. Here's the link to the new cards - Asus ROG 40 series cards
If we can forgo bottom case fans, it should work out reasonably well without any huge increase in volume. If anything, I think the Ncase design is a bit more resilient to these changes than other layouts.

dwade

Efficiency Noob
May 26, 2020
Based on Discord and the recent poll, they're looking to make the case fit an MATX motherboard. 😅

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Based on Discord and the recent poll, they're looking to make the case fit an MATX motherboard. 😅
To be a little more clear, W360 said there will be 3 different sizes, and that one of them will support ATX.

Don't mind me, I had my wires crossed with the Streacom x NCase project

Last edited: