Concept FormD T1 V2.0

Mao_Setzer

Trash Compacter
Jul 10, 2019
Reactions: Revolution and x111

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Reference cards (both amd/nvidia, except 3090 FE) should fit fine, given there's space for more than two solts (for nvidia 2 slots is fine).
So literally 2 options if someone wants 3080/6800XT level of performance?
In general yes, but there's this gem for 3080FE as well: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-fe-rtx-3080-d-rgb-black-special-edition
But as I understand/imagine you could install only one rad (but 280mm with 25mm fans) in classical, so yea, it's definitely not the best choice for watercooling.
If you spend €200+ on a nice-looking RGB water block you'd probably want to show it off by mounting vertically.

fish.ch

Caliper Novice
Jan 26, 2020
If you spend €200+ on a nice-looking RGB water block you'd probably want to show it off by mounting vertically.
That's more of showing there's possibility, in the next line I say it doesn't make much sense to watercool in classic layout at all.
So literally 2 options if someone wants 3080/6800XT level of performance?
Nvidia ones are reasonable noise-wise this time around, so I don't see much of a problem? Given there's 2.5 slots, EVGA XC3 / MSI Ventus 3X fit as well. Given by some miracle Wahaha manages to make 2.7 slot in 220mm height, Palit GamingPro is an option.

Without increasing volume past 10L classic layout is definitely a second-class citizen, but I don't see a problem with that — it would allow you to make a silent (CPU) build using air-cooling if you're not ready for watercooling in sandwhich.

Maybe it's a time wasted in design as 240MM AIO on CPU will give just as good results with way better GPU compatibility, but if Wahaha wants to try to add that option and it doesn't noticeably increase complexity/price or hurt sandwich layout, I can only welcome it. More options, more unique case.

Edit: also not everyone goes out for flagship cards, classic layout would work best for quiet guaranteed hassle-free/low-maintenance (aircooling) APU/mid-tier GPU builds. IMO having option to do so in the same case is cool.

Edit2: what's up with my post needing "moderator approval"? I didn't even link anything nor use strong language, lol.

Last edited:

revival

Cable Smoosher
Feb 11, 2016
Really looking forward to this vertical case.
After reading through lots of this thread I didn't see a estimate release date. Are we think June or next fall?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
We’re gonna need some good instructions with all these configuration options

Not for general public consumption.

I think the T1 is already too complicated for a lot of new SFF people. I want to keep the focus on sandwich layout for public.

So let's just say *new features are just bonus for people in the know.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
If anyone is looking for a side project, PM me.

None of this is to scale or anything. I can do the necessary measurements when someone takes me up on the project (and when we get final dimensions for the T1 Evo)

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
I’m also in huge favor of a classic layout. We already have so many cases in our SFF community that specialize in AIOs, and sandwich format. Believe it or not, in the general public, air cooling is still more commonly used than water cooling.

120-130 CPU cooler height air cooling case with 2.5-3 slots would be my perfect dream case. N case already does this but side panels feel too thin and build quality is probably leaps below what a FormT1’s build quality would be. It would be around 11-13 Liters which would be just perfect.

Reactions: JankyWrender

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
I’m also in huge favor of a classic layout. We already have so many cases in our SFF community that specialize in AIOs, and sandwich format. Believe it or not, in the general public, air cooling is still more commonly used than water cooling.

120-130 CPU cooler height air cooling case with 2.5-3 slots would be my perfect dream case. N case already does this but side panels feel too thin and build quality is probably leaps below what a FormT1’s build quality would be. It would be around 11-13 Liters which would be just perfect.
Big air cooler support requires a larger form-factor than T1. Don't want to go too much off topic but take a look at Dan C4-SFX, it looks like all around better and more versatile M1.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Big air cooler support requires a larger form-factor than T1. Don't want to go too much off topic but take a look at Dan C4-SFX, it looks like all around better and more versatile M1.

C4 looks like it won't support a good chunk of modern RTX 3000 series cards in classic layout. Dan has already confirmed in thread that he won't increase size to increase compatibility. I can't say for sure since there are no third party reviews yet, but it looks like it uses similar build quality from Lian Li with the thin panels. I trust Form D's panels / build quality much more based on what I saw with T1.

I thought we were trying to create a bigger case than T1 here? Or are we trying to get the same size again? Because T1 is a sandwich, AIO-friendly case 9.5L case, why would you want to do a second model of a new case that is also going to be exact same sandwich / AIO-emphasis 9.5 L case then?

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
C4 looks like it won't support a good chunk of modern RTX 3000 series cards in classic layout. Dan has already confirmed in thread that he won't increase size to increase compatibility. I can't say for sure since there are no third party reviews yet, but it looks like it uses similar build quality from Lian Li with the thin panels. I trust Form D's panels / build quality much more based on what I saw with T1.
C4 has a number of features that should help with compatibility, like a hole at the front that extends max GPU length compatibility further than the frame. In addition, the 4.0 Riser Card planned for the C4-SFX doesn't sound like it will have the issues of current 4.0 Riser Cables, so Sandwich Layout should greatly increase compatibility with large Ampere cards without hurting performance or anything - especially now that it can be flipped and support a 280mm rad and two slim fans while doing this.

That said, having owned neither the T1 or M1, I can't address any worries regarding build quality.

I thought we were trying to create a bigger case than T1 here? Or are we trying to get the same size again? Because T1 is a sandwich, AIO-friendly case 9.5L case, why would you want to do a second model of a new case that is also going to be exact same sandwich / AIO-emphasis 9.5 L case then?

100% agreed. The T1 is a fine case that meets its goals well - so borrowing some improvements from the originally planned P1 for a V1.2 of the case, such as additional spine positions would be good, while keeping it below 9.5L.

That said, personally, I would have preferred having a proper, separate case that has its own size & features, such as 280mm support, classic layout support, vertical layout support, larger size, etc. That said, it'd probably cost more in machining, logistics, etc.

Either way, regardless of how it's done, I think we're all still very much in the dark about what this case (The T1 EVO) is supposed to look like and support. We've heard things tossed around like classic layout support, multiple 240mm rads, changing case size, not changing case size, vertical support, etc etc etc.

But we still don't have renders or even a list of planned changes on the first post of this thread.

It's all just been tidbits of 'I'm planning this change, also may do this, also might change this - would need to do this if we did this" etc etc etc.

I just hope people temper their expectations and wait for details to be confirmed & shown before getting hyped.

(Please note, I'm not saying the case won't be amazing, but rather just that we don't know what is 100% happening yet. Just speaking as someone who got burned by the eWhite T1 and QC issues - things happen, even right up to shipping.)

Last edited:

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
One of the reasons people love T1 is its incredible space-efficiency (thanks to sandwich layout) in sub-10L form-factor. I don't see how it would make sense to basically discontinue it and replace with a 1-2L larger case that would belong to a different form-factor.

Reactions: Kuzan and eedev

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
One of the reasons people love T1 is its incredible space-efficiency (thanks to sandwich layout) in sub-10L form-factor. I don't see how it would make sense to basically discontinue it and replace with a 1-2L larger case that would belong to a different form-factor.

Agreed - IMO: T1 should stay <10L, T2 or P1 or whatever, should implement additional features and target, idk, <15L? <13L?

Separate classes of case for different needs, rather than trying to create a jack of all trades, master of none.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018

No one is saying T1 should be discontinued and replaced with a larger case.

This EVO model (to my understanding) would be a different case, and a 2nd case from FormD. T1 would remain as the sub-10L that everyone loves. I'll leave it up to Wahaha to clarify or correct if my understanding is wrong.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
100% agreed. The T1 is a fine case that meets its goals well - so borrowing some improvements from the originally planned P1 for a V1.2 of the case, such as additional spine positions would be good, while keeping it below 9.5L.

That said, personally, I would have preferred having a proper, separate case that has its own size & features, such as 280mm support, classic layout support, vertical layout support, larger size, etc. That said, it'd probably cost more in machining, logistics, etc.

I think that's the eternal problem. To maximize compatibility/flexibility, you'll compromise on optimization of space/volume. The OG T1 is a great case but it's had issues getting produced.

Either way, regardless of how it's done, I think we're all still very much in the dark about what this case (The T1 EVO) is supposed to look like and support. We've heard things tossed around like classic layout support, multiple 240mm rads, changing case size, not changing case size, vertical support, etc etc etc.

But we still don't have renders or even a list of planned changes on the first post of this thread.

It's all just been tidbits of 'I'm planning this change, also may do this, also might change this - would need to do this if we did this" etc etc etc.

I just hope people temper their expectations and wait for details to be confirmed & shown before getting hyped.

(Please note, I'm not saying the case won't be amazing, but rather just that we don't know what is 100% happening yet. Just speaking as someone who got burned by the eWhite T1 and QC issues - things happen, even right up to shipping.)
Agree that at this point, it's too much speculation until we see actual renders/sample photos. W360 says target availability is April so I think we're a month+ away from getting anything more concrete.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
If anyone is looking for a side project, PM me.

None of this is to scale or anything. I can do the necessary measurements when someone takes me up on the project (and when we get final dimensions for the T1 Evo)

I should clarify i'm only looking for cad work, not fab work.

Reactions: DrHudacris