Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Finished my watercooled T1. Its absolutely packed with components now.

I think I managed to get a higher packing density than even @fabio. Less free space = less dust right?

One thing I did notice is some cracking around one of the screw holes on the new res, so will require replacing the face plate. I might take the opportunity to countersink the screws at the same time.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
It's amazing how much stuff you managed to cram into that thing!

Power button is installed wrong, just a heads up.

Damn it. I had to install it like that with previous builds to stop the power button contacts hitting the metal radiators I had in previously. I can now remove the retaining ring that I was using as a spacer. Good spot.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Whoa is that double Hanjiang Taobao radiators?? How do you like performance? Did they require much cleaning before filling the loop?

It is indeed! Gaming (GPU ~90% & CPU ~40%) with 2080ti and 9900kf I have fluid temps of ~35c, Components temps low 50's

1x240mm with 15mm's (1850 rpm), 1 x 240mm with 25mm's (1500 rpm).

Rad's were ok, not much worse than other manufacturers. Soapy water, flush through, shake. Repeat a couple of times, then run some distilled through with a spare pump. The vendor shipped them with some "chemicals" to clean them. Superbuy took them out the package! :D

imode

Chassis Packer
Nov 28, 2018
Over on the formd sub-reddit there are an alarming number of reports of consistent manufacturing/QC issues in this latest batch of T1's. Has any comment been made regarding this yet? It's been about a week since any last contact from W360, so my hope is that he's busy kicking the asses that need to be kicked. But as someone who paid nearly $300 for an upcoming batch, I can't help but worry.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Over on the formd sub-reddit there are an alarming number of reports of consistent manufacturing/QC issues in this latest batch of T1's. Has any comment been made regarding this yet? It's been about a week since any last contact from W360, so my hope is that he's busy kicking the asses that need to be kicked. But as someone who paid nearly $300 for an upcoming batch, I can't help but worry.
I also want some kind of update, because it is starting to get quite alarming. I can't keep replying "this isn't normal, please contact support@formdworks.com and they will help you" because at some point people are going to think that it is normal, and no one wants to deal with all of these problems.
And I think it's already gotten to the point where people do think it's normal to have these issues (standoffs is the main one that comes to mind). Several people on the subreddit have stated that they want to cancel their order for an otherwise great case, all because these problems are really starting to come up out of no where.

Hopefully we can get some kind of update, and personally, I would be fine waiting longer for a case if it meant that I didn't have to deal with these flaws.
I still think that it may seem like every other case has these problems because of all of the posts as of late, but I'm sure that the cases that do have problems (excluding the standoffs, that will happen with every case AFAIK) are still in the minority, but the amount of the problems is still alarming.

EDIT: there has been a response.

Last edited:

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
I also want some kind of update, because it is starting to get quite alarming. I can't keep replying "this isn't normal, please contact support@formdworks.com and they will help you" because at some point people are going to think that it is normal, and no one wants to deal with all of these problems.
And I think it's already gotten to the point where people do think it's normal to have these issues (standoffs is the main one that comes to mind). Several people on the subreddit have stated that they want to cancel their order for an otherwise great case, all because these problems are really starting to come up out of no where.

Hopefully we can get some kind of update, and personally, I would be fine waiting longer for a case if it meant that I didn't have to deal with these flaws.
I still think that it may seem like every other case has these problems because of all of the posts as of late, but I'm sure that the cases that do have problems (excluding the standoffs, that will happen with every case AFAIK) are still in the minority, but the amount of the problems is still alarming.

I am in this boat, my batch is not till late November (27th) and the quality issues have me seriously considering cancelling my order, as with conversion to AUD at the time it was significant spend, add the wait times to get one, to end up with something that the quality does not reflect the cost would be devastating. each time I see more posts on this topic i think about either sticking with my A4 and downgrading my cpu, or going for an Ncase instead. but i really like the design of the T1 and the smaller footprint, not much more than my A4, but with much better cooling.

Mao_Setzer

Trash Compacter
Jul 10, 2019
@Goatee would a DDC heatsink fit in 3-slot mode with Aquanaut? Alphacool's heatsink housing is just 26.1mm tall.
Hmm if I guess count 24mm for the Aquanaut + 26.1mm for the alphacool heatsink it gives a height of 50,1mm (tolerance of 0.5mm). It could fit or you can have a tiny bulge. You can still sand the heatsink a little bit in case of....

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Was just about to post about the increasing number of issues posted on the subreddit.

Having to sand down a standoff/screw or removing tape from the riser might be minor issues, but are definitely not worthy of a premium case / a case with a premium price. Misaligned/wrongly sized screw holes and (according to some people) a lack of comprehensive instructions add to this. These issues need to be dealt with (or at least there needs to be some official communication about it), as people are getting worried (including me, late November batch).

Looking forward to an official statement (who knows, maybe these are like 5 of 500 cases, maybe it's only a specific batch etc), as I am still hyped for my T1.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Was just about to post about the increasing number of issues posted on the subreddit.

Having to sand down a standoff/screw or removing tape from the riser might be minor issues, but are definitely not worthy of a premium case / a case with a premium price. Misaligned/wrongly sized screw holes and (according to some people) a lack of comprehensive instructions add to this. These issues need to be dealt with (or at least there needs to be some official communication about it), as people are getting worried (including me, late November batch).

Looking forward to an official statement (who knows, maybe these are like 5 of 500 cases, maybe it's only a specific batch etc), as I am still hyped for my T1.

I agree 100%.

Speaking as someone who's ordered an E-White that is estimated to ship out in late December, I can't help but be worried & tempted to cancel the order after seeing how the number of QC issues seem to have gone way up with batches received in the past 3 weeks:
Honestly, I think any kind of statement acknowledging these issues would be better than nothing right now. Even better if we get confirmation that they will be solved or that the parts will be replaced easily if customers have issues.

I still love the design of the case and everything, and bought because pretty much everyone loved it and raved about the quality, but now I can't help but be nervous, that's all.

Last edited:

Ashenfall

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2020
I wonder if the QC issues from the latest batch have anything to do with the move to increase production and availability a few months ago. The timing of the reports of these troubled cases and their delivery dates seem to line up with the time there was a massive increase in availability (e.g. being able to place orders on the Monday instead of running out within 2 minutes of order opening on the Friday)

I don't really like speculating but it lines up too well

64bytesme

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 9, 2020
Finally got my case and built the thing. Unfortunately it came with a few small finish imperfections, not sure if I should raise an issue with this for QC purposes?

Incredibly tough with the lack of decent instructions, had to watch a few videos/look at other builds to really get a grasp of what was going on. Currently running 3-slot mode in anticipation of a 3080 (or similar).

Some observations:
  • Case is half the size of my previous InWin A1, and has much better thermals. Also near silent, except for the GPU which you can really only during gaming. Hooray! Not going to lie, it didn't look all that 'premium' to me in pictures, but it really does in real life. Beyond happy :)
  • I had to file down a motherboard stand-off to stop it from hitting the riser. I used a nail grinder (for my dog, ha) to get it to a flush, acceptable level. Better than grinding into the riser, but seems to be a design oversight.
  • In 3 slot mode, an EK-120 AIO will *just* fit. The block will literally touch the side mesh panel, without too much noticeable bulge. RGB diffusion through the mesh looks great. I am a stickler and can deal with this. I couldn't use the full length brackets, had to use the smaller ones so my AIO is sitting 'freely', but snugly.
  • Using G.Skill Trident RGB RAM, best to mount the tubes on the mono shroud side, so they've got more room to travel above the block+ram-lock, and less 'bunching' occurring above the PSU. Mounting with tubes closest to the ram is tough.
    • Works well using the ROG Strix X570-I motherboard, but can get in the way of some of the fan headers if mounting shroud side.
  • Current CPU temps are 30c idle from boot, sits around 35-45c most of the time after extended use
  • Current GPU sits around 40-50c idle, and hits about 75-85c depending on game (Zotac 2080 Blower, rather hot)

The ASUS TUF 3080 seems to be the card to go for in terms of thermals/noise, but I am concerned about reports that its too tight that you need to snap the power connectors off - has anyone managed to get one in there without modding this?

Your setup is exactly what I'm planning to build down to the mobo, RAM, AIO, and GPU so you're giving me hope. I didn't want to return the Tridents so I was wondering if the AIO tubes would fit by routing them up towards the mobo-side fan followed by pinching them between the RAM and AIO fan. I ordered a couple of Noctua 12x15 fans to maximize that overhead space. Three questions:

1) Would you be able to share pics along the path of the tubes near the RAM, fans, and PSU as well as the orientation of the block (I think I get yours but want to be sure)?
2) Do you think that I'd get extra clearance from the low profile fans?
3) You mentioned that the radiator is sitting freely. If you could mount it, would it be to the top panel with protruding screw caps? Would a low profile fan allow for secured mounting by brackets?

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I am in this boat, my batch is not till late November (27th) and the quality issues have me seriously considering cancelling my order, as with conversion to AUD at the time it was significant spend, add the wait times to get one, to end up with something that the quality does not reflect the cost would be devastating. each time I see more posts on this topic i think about either sticking with my A4 and downgrading my cpu, or going for an Ncase instead. but i really like the design of the T1 and the smaller footprint, not much more than my A4, but with much better cooling.

I agree 100%.

Speaking as someone who's ordered an E-White that is estimated to ship out in late December, I can't help but be worried & tempted to cancel the order after seeing how the number of QC issues seem to have gone way up with batches received in the past 3 weeks:
Honestly, I think any kind of statement acknowledging these issues would be better than nothing right now. Even better if we get confirmation that they will be solved or that the parts will be replaced easily if customers have issues.

I still love the design of the case and everything, and bought because pretty much everyone loved it and raved about the quality, but now I can't help but be nervous, that's all.
Some comments have been made by Wahaha regarding the QC issues on reddit. I made this thread compiling them.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I agree 100%.

I don't blame you. No hard feelings, just cancel if you are not sure.

I already commented on the issues on the Reddit thread

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

EDIT: there has been a response.

Sorry man, I'm at ground zero, trying to fix the issue systematically.