Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
He concludes the RAM factor with: "Was aber unbestreitbar ist: alle CPUs profitieren in hohem Maße vom höheren Speichertakt."

This roughly translates to: "Without a doubt: all CPUs [at least the ones he tested] benefit significantly from higher RAM clock speeds."

Last edited:

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
Igorslab had a comparison with ddr3200 and ddr4000. I think there is only a German arcticle/Video for now but the diagrams should be easy to understand.

edit: too slow
He concludes the RAM factor with: "Was aber unbestreitbar ist: alle CPUs profitieren in hohem Maße vom höheren Speichertakt."

This roughly translates to: "Without a doubt: all CPUs [at least the ones he tested] benefit immensely from higher RAM clock speeds."

Word. Thanks guys.
Is a slower speed worth lower latency? like the corsair LPX 4000cl18 is 9ns and the 3600cl14 is 7.777777777ns.

Sorry if this is a basic question i have just seen some very in depth discussions for zen2 about ram elsewhere and i'm out of my depth so i'm a bit intimidated lol.

or, more likely, this doesn't actually matter really at all.

Last edited:

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020

This roughly translates to: "Without a doubt: all CPUs [at least the ones he tested] benefit immensely from higher RAM clock speeds."
"benefit immensely" seems too strong to me. What is it, 5% performance increase, but 25% more power?

Reactions: pwnedundies

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Well, you can translate it to "significantly".

5% (didn't check the numbers) performance increase due to RAM clocks alone is still impressive.

max31092

Average Stuffer
Mar 1, 2020
Significantly should be the better term.

About latencies: lower latencies and higher tact are both benficial. latenciy is often messured as tacts. So it isn't easy to compare. cl8 and 1000mhz and cl16 and 2000mhz is the same latency in ms. So you have to compare both at the same time.
But ultimately only tests can tell. There are tons of different latencies and they impact the performace on a defferent basis.
And each application handles latency and tact differently.

Tutorial

Case Bender
New User
Aug 19, 2020
so, speaking of ram in the T1, do I need low profile ram if im in 2-slot mode? the kit I have isnt on the QVL for my mobo but other similar kits are. wondering if i should return and get something better (and maybe not low profile). I have an asrock x570 currently but I still havent put anything together until I get my cpu and the off chance that they release a refreshed x570 though it seems extremely unlikely

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
so, speaking of ram in the T1, do I need low profile ram if im in 2-slot mode? the kit I have isnt on the QVL for my mobo but other similar kits are. wondering if i should return and get something better (and maybe not low profile). I have an asrock x570 currently but I still havent put anything together until I get my cpu and the off chance that they release a refreshed x570 though it seems extremely unlikely

I don’t believe low profile is required in 2 or 3 slot unless you have tubes to route.

even then I think it’s only necessary in 3 slot.

custom looping can do whatever it wants.

Reactions: Tutorial

lilclie

Caliper Novice
Jul 14, 2019
Probably switching to air cooled soon, anyone know what cpu coolers are compatible with the Gigabyte x570 I aorus pro wifi?

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
I have a question before the Zen 3 CPUs drop on the market in a few hours. I have the intention to use the T1 in 2-slot mode so that I can use the NH-L12S cooler (already bought)

Would the 5800X’s with its 105W TDP (wtf is up with that anyway? 5800X, 5900X and 5950X are all 105W, how can that be?) be problematic on that air cooler? I have 0 intention to overclock
IMO, you should forget this idea, because it's really hot with this cpu cooler. take a watercooling ;)

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I have a question before the Zen 3 CPUs drop on the market in a few hours. I have the intention to use the T1 in 2-slot mode so that I can use the NH-L12S cooler (already bought)

Would the 5800X’s with its 105W TDP (wtf is up with that anyway? 5800X, 5900X and 5950X are all 105W, how can that be?) be problematic on that air cooler? I have 0 intention to overclock

With the Ryzen CPUs, the single CCD components have the majority of their heat over the CCD it self, whereas the dual CCD models (5900x and 5950x) spread the heat over 2 chips. In the example of heat pipe air coolers, some of the heat pipes might not be providing any benefit at all if they are running over the "empty" space on the package! This is why 5800x runs hotter with the same PPT as the 12 and 16 core.

HisAirness_23

Efficiency Noob
Oct 20, 2020
Seems like the white version is available now. However, you cannot choose the side panel color? Will they decide it for you? I thought you can decide yourself what color the side panel gets. Also, it is 50$ more than the standard color... :/

moulderine

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 31, 2020
Hi bought my T1 in this wave of preorders which im expecting in January.
I am getting the 5600x and due to the good thermals, I'm trying to understand what the set-up for best air cooling the GPU (3080 FE) is, even if its at the cost of the best aircooling for the CPU.

I'm basically trying to evaluate which one going to best help the GPU (if any) most, when all things considered:
  1. 120mm AIO + 3 fans(?)
  2. CPU heat sink (L12s) + 3 fans
  3. 240mm AIO cooling CPU + 2/3 fans.
I have seen builds of 2,3 and from reading most builds, seems either of them result in similar thermals for GPU. But I cant see any builds for 1.... It be great to hear which is expected in theory to be the best, and any recommendations / builds.

Read the last 140 pages of this thread plus a lot of the reddit so aware of the majority of options for fans, AIO's (240mm) and custom looping (ruling out water block for the GPU). I am also open to custom loop for the CPU but seems like it be a waste -but if there is any recommendations which ultimately help for best air cooling the GPU, appreciated.

Best

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Seems like the white version is available now. However, you cannot choose the side panel color? Will they decide it for you? I thought you can decide yourself what color the side panel gets. Also, it is 50$ more than the standard color... :/

There was a poll for the side panel color and light silver was the winner (wasn't 50% though, I suggest a run off election? lol) So light silver will be the side panel color for the E-white. Also the expense is due to the more expensive coating process of E-white. I'm not knowledgeable in this area, but it is a more involved and expensive process, and is more durable than anodization.

Reactions: pwnedundies

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
I know this isn't a "help @hetvler build a PC" thread but bear with me. I've done my googling and can't find an answer to this anywhere. Regarding ram OC, is it better to buy the goal speed and then try to tighten the timings, or the goal timings and OC the speed e.g.

3600cl16->4000cl16
or
4000cl18->4000cl16

basically do i buy ballistix or ballistix max

To make this t1 specific so yall don't yell at me, ram clearance would be the same as CPU cooler clearance right? 50mm in 2slot? need to make sure i have room for my aio tubes as well. ~10mm required.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
I'm fairly sure those will perform the same.
I've just bought 32gb 3600 cl 16-16-16-36 G.Skill which are in my opinion the best right now.
Timings are important.
In three slot mode 10mm tubes should fit.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Hi bought my T1 in this wave of preorders which im expecting in January.
I am getting the 5600x and due to the good thermals, I'm trying to understand what the set-up for best air cooling the GPU (3080 FE) is, even if its at the cost of the best aircooling for the CPU.

I'm basically trying to evaluate which one going to best help the GPU (if any) most, when all things considered:
  1. 120mm AIO + 3 fans(?)
  2. CPU heat sink (L12s) + 3 fans
  3. 240mm AIO cooling CPU + 2/3 fans.
I have seen builds of 2,3 and from reading most builds, seems either of them result in similar thermals for GPU. But I cant see any builds for 1.... It be great to hear which is expected in theory to be the best, and any recommendations / builds.

Read the last 140 pages of this thread plus a lot of the reddit so aware of the majority of options for fans, AIO's (240mm) and custom looping (ruling out water block for the GPU). I am also open to custom loop for the CPU but seems like it be a waste -but if there is any recommendations which ultimately help for best air cooling the GPU, appreciated.

Best
You will only be able to put one fan on the 120mm AIO, as the AIO will be mounted too close to the top panel to add a slim fan above the radiator. You can add another fan next to the radiator for better case airflow.

Going from config 1 to config 3, I saw about a 5c increase in GPU temps. Config 2 should have the best GPU temps, but also the worst CPU temps. Config 3 is the best balance for everything, but with the 5600x I don't think you need a 240mm AIO unless you are doing some overclocking or want more silence.

Reactions: moulderine

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
UPDATE RE: Big Shuriken 3 + Noctua A12x15 Air Cooling

Hey everyone,
I decided to install the L12S to see what kind of performance i'd get over the BS3 + Noctua fan. I did return my old 32GB Ripjaws 3200 C14 for 16GB Corsair LPX 3600 C14 just to have maximum compatibility with any cooler for the T1.

To my surprise, the L12S was ~5c cooler than the BS3 + Noctua (61c vs 66c). Unfortunately, I didn't try the BS3 with the stock fan before I installed the L12S so I can't really say if the Noctua fan reduced performance.

Some things to consider:
  1. I remounted the BS3 multiple times and got the same results prior to installing the L12S so mounting hardware/pressure could be an issue.
  2. OT's own video shows the BS3 with a stock fan being ~2c of the L12S so the stock fan could be a better fit, especially since the Noctua has a larger hub
  3. The BS3 had the fan configured for PUSH and it was very close to the mesh side panel. The L12S was configured for PULL (intake). The fan being further away from the side panel could have better airflow and less turbulence.

I'll get around to testing the BS3 with the stock fan again this weekend to confirm if the fan or mounting pressure or both was a culprit to reduced performance.

Side note, I failed to secure a 5900X yesterday so my 70mm and 50mm CPU cooler tests are on hold. I did preorder the 5900x at BH PhotoVideo yesterday morning though (preorders are closed now). Hopefully, I can get one soon to test low profile cooler capabilities.

Side note 2, According to
Gamer Nexus, the 5950X runs less wattage at load vs the 5900X (120w vs 133w), his assumption is better binning. I'll consider going for a 5950X instead.

Last edited:

moulderine

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 31, 2020
You will only be able to put one fan on the 120mm AIO, as the AIO will be mounted too close to the top panel to add a slim fan above the radiator. You can add another fan next to the radiator for better case airflow.

Going from config 1 to config 3, I saw about a 5c increase in GPU temps. Config 2 should have the best GPU temps, but also the worst CPU temps. Config 3 is the best balance for everything, but with the 5600x I don't think you need a 240mm AIO unless you are doing some overclocking or want more silence.

Exact insight I needed around config, really appreciated.
Final q - do you know why you saw the 5c increase moving to the 240mm AIO? (presuming this is not related to the quality of the chosen AIO's). Was it due to the needed fan size for under the radiator vs a bigger one next to it?

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
I'm fairly sure those will perform the same.
I've just bought 32gb 3600 cl 16-16-16-36 G.Skill which are in my opinion the best right now.
Timings are important.
In three slot mode 10mm tubes should fit.

is this yet another case of me getting too in the weeds on something? happens a lot.

Also which GSkills did you get and will they work in 3slot mode (read: are they under 40ish mm in height)