Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
because they probably tested it in an anechoic chamber, or tested it in such a way to make it look good. Usually if you see noise levels advertised at that level, they aren't actually representative of the real experience.
Clearly hahah. Well live and learn.
Unfortunately Noctua doesn't have a black one otherwise the choice would have been easy.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
If you have a CPU that doesn't draw a lot of power, get a 120mm AIO, like the CoolerMaster ML120 V2, or the EK 120 DRGB. If you have a more power hungry CPU, then get a 240mm AIO like the Corsair H100i or the EK 240 DRGB, both with slim fans.

What about the 1x slim and 1x 25mm combo? I thought that was the most recommended route for 240mm AIOs?

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
What about the 1x slim and 1x 25mm combo? I thought that was the most recommended route for 240mm AIOs?
I say both with slim fans as it is the easiest to fit for most people, and you don't have to worry about certain units being too big to fit in a certain place (the Ek 240 for example).
A slim fan and a full sized fan is usually the best, but I think three slims with one set of fans in push/pull would work better or the same as a full sized + slim fan.

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I say both with slim fans as it is the easiest to fit for most people, and you don't have to worry about certain units being too big to fit in a certain place (the Ek 240 for example).
A slim fan and a full sized fan is usually the best, but I think three slims with one set of fans in push/pull would work better or the same as a full sized + slim fan.

Good to hear some feedback touching on this - I was brainstorming a build in the T1 with the following:
  • Case: FormD T1 (White with Black Mesh)
  • CPU: Zen 3 X700-X800 Equivalent
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Pro XT (240mm) (or EK Equivalent Set)
  • CPU Cooler Fans: Noctua NF-A12X15 Chromax Black (x3)
  • Motherboard: Asus Strix x570 (or Zen 3 Equivalent)
  • GPU: RTX 3080 (Waiting for FE 20GB or Asus TUF 20GB)
  • Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
  • Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • PSU: Silverstone 800W 80+ Titanium SFX Power Supply (Or Cooler Master 850W SFX)
But I wasn't sure if the 3 slim fans would work as opposed to the 1 slim + 1 25mm fan. (As 15 + 15 + 27mm > 27 + 25mm)

Thanks for that!

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Good to hear some feedback touching on this - I was brainstorming a build in the T1 with the following:
  • PSU: Silverstone 800W 80+ Titanium SFX Power Supply (Or Cooler Master 850W SFX)
But I wasn't sure if the 3 slim fans would work as opposed to the 1 slim + 1 25mm fan. (As 15 + 15 + 27mm > 27 + 25mm)

Thanks for that!

It's possible, on the PSU side.

But real talk, that's a lot of PSU... For a mid range CPU and unspecified GPU?

Reactions: PKAWA and Kundahli

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019

Thanks for that!
Two things:

That RAM might have some clearance issues with the AIO tubes, but this can depend on the motherboard, cable management, and how creative you are willing to get. I always say go with lower profile RAM to be safe, but you can try the Trident Z

Push/pull might not be possible with that PSU, because it's an SFX-L unit, not an SFX unit, so it will take up a lot more space for fans, and you won't be able to use it flipped. Even if you didn't have push/pull, an SFX-L unit wouldn't be great. Go with a regular SFX unit instead, like the Corsair SF750, or wait for more powerful SFX units to come out (Wahaha has hinted at them previously)

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
It's possible, on the PSU side.

But real talk, that's a lot of PSU... For a mid range CPU and unspecified GPU?
Push/pull might not be possible with that PSU, because it's an SFX-L unit, not an SFX unit, so it will take up a lot more space for fans, and you won't be able to use it flipped. Even if you didn't have push/pull, an SFX-L unit wouldn't be great. Go with a regular SFX unit instead, like the Corsair SF750, or wait for more powerful SFX units to come out (Wahaha has hinted at them previously)

Appreciate the feedback - PCPP lists this Silverstone unit as SFX and not SFX-L so I could've missed that.

Regarding wattage, I always kind of figured 800W may be a bit much for the moment, but between the recommended wattage of 3080s being 750w and considering future expandability & longevity of PSUs in general, I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Appreciate the recommendation of the SF750 - was wanting to get the Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold but apparently those have been delayed until 2021 now.

That RAM might have some clearance issues with the AIO tubes, but this can depend on the motherboard, cable management, and how creative you are willing to get. I always say go with lower profile RAM to be safe, but you can try the Trident Z

Appreciate the warning - It was a carryover from a previous parts list and I'd like something I can see through the mesh when the PC is on, but I may go with something lower profile in this case since the AIO would light up as that indication anyway. Any recommendations on RAM that would suit both purposes?

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@BRSxIgnition I'd just like to add a few things
  • CPU: you're going for the Ryzen x700-x800 part which is likely to be 8c16 at 65W, at such low power you shouldn't be worried about 2 vs 3 fans and push-pull whatnot. 240AIO with 2x A12x15 would be more than enough to cool it. Now if you put the GPU in the loop also that's a different questions.
  • RAM: Corsair LPX is the most common option for low profile and give most space for tubing but new Crucial Ballistix (MAX) would work too at just 40mm height, with RGB and good Micron Rev. E for OC
  • SSD: hold out for a bit, there seems to be a 2nd wave for NVME Gen4 coming out now that Samsung has launched its 980 Pro.
  • PSU: Silverstone is coming out with 700W Platinum SFX, Corsair should be coming out with 850W Platinum SFX as well (OEM version already being sold in China). There's no shame in getting an absolute overkilled PSU, the higher wattage headroom you have just means the fans will spin less often during daily use, thus being more quiet.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
If you have a CPU that doesn't draw a lot of power, get a 120mm AIO, like the CoolerMaster ML120 V2, or the EK 120 DRGB. If you have a more power hungry CPU, then get a 240mm AIO like the Corsair H100i or the EK 240 DRGB, both with slim fans.

So if I buy a CoolerMaster ML120 V2 I need to replace the fan with a slim noctua fan for example? I'm probbly not going for a power hungry CPU. Mostly gaming and light to medium music production work.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
I want to order an FormD-T1 today. But I can't choose between colors. I'd like either the Black/silver or Gunmetal.
What are your thoughts and do anyone have some extra photos? I've been searching forums but not to many people post good photos of their builds.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
So if I buy a CoolerMaster ML120 V2 I need to replace the fan with a slim noctua fan for example? I'm probbly not going for a power hungry CPU. Mostly gaming and light to medium music production work.
If you are using a 120mm AIO (which the ML120 is) you do not need a slim fan. A full sized fan will work and is recommended. You only need to replace the fans for slim ones when you go with a 240mm AIO.
I want to order an FormD-T1 today. But I can't choose between colors. I'd like either the Black/silver or Gunmetal.
What are your thoughts and do anyone have some extra photos? I've been searching forums but not to many people post good photos of their builds.
This is probably the best look you're going to get. Feel free to look through the subreddit too, but the only cases people actually have right now are two-tone and black.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
If you are using a 120mm AIO (which the ML120 is) you do not need a slim fan. A full sized fan will work and is recommended. You only need to replace the fans for slim ones when you go with a 240mm AIO.

This is probably the best look you're going to get. Feel free to look through the subreddit too, but the only cases people actually have right now are two-tone and black.
Thank you Navic for your help I appreciate it! Seems like the ML120 RGB Corsair is one great AIO even uoutperforming large noctua air coolers!

ciaran clare

Average Stuffer
Jul 28, 2020
The new 2nd gen version of alphacools lt 2600 pump is now available to buy on their website, would love to see how this compares to the current one in noise and relaiability

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
This V850 SFX has been on sale here locally (Hong Kong, China) for a while now. Stock seems plentiful too.
Maybe you can double check with your local CM representative/dealer about availability in Australia.

I'm in Canada - it just so happens that the only V850 SFX page on the Cooler Master website that's live happens to be on the AU side of things.

I reached out to them and got the following:

@BRSxIgnition I'd just like to add a few things
  • CPU: you're going for the Ryzen x700-x800 part which is likely to be 8c16 at 65W, at such low power you shouldn't be worried about 2 vs 3 fans and push-pull whatnot. 240AIO with 2x A12x15 would be more than enough to cool it. Now if you put the GPU in the loop also that's a different questions.
  • RAM: Corsair LPX is the most common option for low profile and give most space for tubing but new Crucial Ballistix (MAX) would work too at just 40mm height, with RGB and good Micron Rev. E for OC
  • SSD: hold out for a bit, there seems to be a 2nd wave for NVME Gen4 coming out now that Samsung has launched its 980 Pro.
  • PSU: Silverstone is coming out with 700W Platinum SFX, Corsair should be coming out with 850W Platinum SFX as well (OEM version already being sold in China). There's no shame in getting an absolute overkilled PSU, the higher wattage headroom you have just means the fans will spin less often during daily use, thus being more quiet.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
  • CPU: At what point would adding that third fan become necessary? With a X900 or X950 Zen 3 equivalent? Also, would adding the third fan have any positive effect on cooling for the GPU - which will probably run much hotter?
  • RAM: Unfortunately the Crucial Ballistix MAX is $574 CAD - three and a half times the cost of G.Skill memory I was looking at, and more than double the non-MAX variant. It seems to me that the only difference MAX & Non-MAX seems to be the style of the RGB strip (Continuous vs split) and the frequency/timing. Would the MAX really be worth an extra $300 CAD?
  • SSD: Sounds like a smart idea - I'll be waiting for Zen 3 and Big Navi to shake up Nvidia so they release 20GB 3080s anyway, so I'll probably also be able to wait for Gen 4 prices to go down somewhat. (They're still double Gen 3 prices here in Canada)
  • PSU: Do you have an ETA on the Corsair 850W Platinum PSU for North America?
Again, all the feedback is much appreciated.

Side question - are E-White and White different planned FormD T1 color options/materials? Confused from reading the subreddit then looking at the post @Navic mentioned above. Also, is it possible to get black mesh with the white model instead, or is it an add-on that must be purchased along with it?

Thanks again, everyone.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
I'm in Canada - it just so happens that the only V850 SFX page on the Cooler Master website that's live happens to be on the AU side of things.

• CPU: At what point would adding that third fan become necessary? With a X900 or X950 Zen 3 equivalent? Also, would adding the third fan have any positive effect on cooling for the GPU - which will probably run much hotter?
  • RAM: Unfortunately the Crucial Ballistix MAX is $574 CAD - three and a half times the cost of G.Skill memory I was looking at, and more than double the non-MAX variant. It seems to me that the only difference MAX & Non-MAX seems to be the style of the RGB strip (Continuous vs split) and the frequency/timing. Would the MAX really be worth an extra $300 CAD?
  • SSD: Sounds like a smart idea - I'll be waiting for Zen 3 and Big Navi to shake up Nvidia so they release 20GB 3080s anyway, so I'll probably also be able to wait for Gen 4 prices to go down somewhat. (They're still double Gen 3 prices here in Canada)

Side question - are E-White and White different planned FormD T1 color options/materials? Confused from reading the subreddit then looking at the post @Navic mentioned above. Also, is it possible to get black mesh with the white model instead, or is it an add-on that must be purchased along with it?

Thanks again, everyone.

I'm in Toronto.

There is no 850w corsair sfx psu, there is a 750w for 210 on amazon.ca

Last edited:

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019

Thanks again, everyone.
CPU: Yeah, I'd say a third fan can help when you start to get those more power hungry CPUs

RAM: You do not need that Ballistix MAX RAM. It is faster than most people need. Get a 3200MHz or 3600MHz kit that's lower profile and you're fine.

Color: There is a silver color and a "cerakote" white color. The cerakote is super white, the silver is just silver. As for the black mesh with the cerakote white, I don't think that will be possible and you'd have to buy the black mesh separately if it becomes an accessory. The silver on the other hand, does come with a black mesh side panel by the looks of it.

Reactions: BRSxIgnition