Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
BIG WALL OF TEXT INCOMING (school has me in a essay writing mood, TL;DR at the end)

Some images of the completed build. That cable coming out of the back is the temporary power button solution I came up with while I wait for the actual power button to be shipped. I just ripped a reset button from a fractal design case I don't use anymore. Works perfectly fine!
EDIT: I made some changes to be able to use the case in 3 slot mode. This is what the completely finished build looks like.

So here are most of my thoughts and findings:

Cooling.

I have an EVGA 2080 Super XC Gaming, and a Ryzen 5 3600. The GPU is downvolted to 925mV, and the CPU has a vcore offest of -100 in the BIOS (usually sits around 1.25V)
For the Ghost, I ran a Kraken X52 with a custom fan curve. For the T1, I used a Corsair H60 (2018) with a similar fan curve to the kraken. Both had Noctua NF-A12x25 on them. In the T1, I used the second fan as a typical case exhaust. This fan usually stayed around 50%, with it going to 60% when the CPU is reaches 80c. The T1 was flipped, so it was exhausting out the top of the case.
I ran three tests for 10 minutes each. The ambient temp was 22c. The first test was a loop of Cinebench R20. The second was a loop of Heaven 4.0 at high, 1440p. The third test was a loop of Cinebench R20 while Heaven 4.0 is running as well.

1st test, cinebench only, 10 minute loop
Ghost S1 - CPU 78c
FormD T1 - CPU 76c

2nd test, Heaven 4.0, High, DX11, 10 minute loop
Ghost S1 - GPU 77c
FormD T1 - GPU 76c

3rd test, Cinebench R20 + Heaven 4.0
Ghost S1 - CPU 82c, GPU 74c
FormD T1 - CPU 83c, GPU 76c

I think it is also worth noting that the VRMs got drop in temperatures as well, from 67c to 57c.

Building - The good

The build quality of this thing is insane. The mesh side panels have very, VERY little flex to them and weigh more than most of the CNC panels. As for the CNC panels, there were some slight anodizing problems but they were just on the inside of things (like where the struts are secured) so it wasn't a problem. The case is very sturdy, and looks great, no complaints here. The mesh panels work great as a dust filter it seems, because it's already collecting hair from my 3 dogs.

The build process was easy enough, I followed a mix of both of the manuals and OptimumTech's video. I think having solid renders instead of the outline of the parts would help visualize the parts better, and telling us what screws go where would also help, but most of the time only one type of screw would work. Telling us where to route the power cable extension would also help. I ended up installing the cooling (fans and radiator) before anything else, and I think this was a good choice, as it was kinda hard to move any of that stuff once everything else is in there. Bending the PCIe Riser to fit into the motherboard was a bit nerve racking, but I eventually got it.

Lighting in the case only really shows through when you look at it from a 45 degree angle or less, and looks best when looking dead on. Otherwise, I couldn't notice the slight lighting I had in my case or the parts in it. Maybe with more lighting in it it would show a lot more, but personally I don't like RGB or lights in my case (I modded my H60 to black out most of the blinding white light)

Edit: I did have some time to cut into one of the brackets of the case to be able to make it fit in 3 slot mode. The reason I had to cut it was because to make the 24 pin fit properly in 3 slot mode, I had to flip the PSU. When doing this, the bracket that attaches the PSU to the case pushes the AIO tubes into the fan (can't have that). See what I mean here. This is what the completely finished build looks like.

Building - The slightly bad

2.5" drive support really depends on the type of SATA power cables you have. If you have right angle ones, then you should have no problems. But for me, the EVGA 650 GM comes with straight SATA power cables. This is a problem because the SATA power connector runs into the frame of the case, causing it to bend. This is worrisome, because if it bends too much it can break the connector off of the SSD. See picture here.

As pointed out in an earlier post by someone else (too lazy to find it now) the PSU bracket runs into the frame of the power switch on the EVGA GM power supplies. I was able to get it to sit flush with some force, and it seems fine to me. Removing half a millimeter would alleviate this problem on the part of the bracket that interferes with it should fix this problem.

Another problem with the EVGA 650 GM is that the 24 pin cable is super bulky and not at all flexible. This means that without custom cables, the 24 pin would not fit in the case in 3 slot mode. I was able to get it to fit in 2 slot mode though. To make it fit in 3 slot mode, changing out the 25mm thick fan for a 15mm one should alleviate this problem. See album here. Flipping the PSU didn't help in my experience either, because it forced the AIO tubes into the fan. See my posts covering this here and here. EDIT: I was able to make it fit in 3 slot mode without pushing the tubes into the fan by cutting a piece of the PSU bracket, seen here.

There is a cutout on the front of the case that allows space for radiators to fit properly. This is mandatory for mounting a fan to the radiator, but the H60 is just ever so slightly too wide that it doesn't fit in the cutout. I was able to sand down the sides of the radiator and make it fit perfectly. See pictures here.

Both of the securing bracket for the GPU (2 slot and 3 slot) have their holes misaligned once you get the GPU installed. See picture here. I was able to force the screws in eventually.

Overall thoughts

This will be replacing my Ghost S1 with the large tophat because the looks, thermals, and overall flexibility of the case is amazing. The only real problems I had was because of my PSU choice and using stock cables.
Going for an all air cooled build in this case will be the easiest. I'd say next easiest is a 120mm aio, and depending on the cables you have, is easier in 2 slot mode than 3 slot mode. After that, it's a 24 AIO or custom loop. And after that, its doing a custom loop with 2 fucking titans in the thing (seriously @fabio you are insane)

If there are any questions after this wall of text, feel free to ask me (or anyone else with one?)

Last edited:

forestpatrol

Caliper Novice
Feb 6, 2020
I ordered tubes for my LT240. What should I use to refill it? I assume distilled water but I need to add some additive to prevent growth right? And does anyone know about how much water it takes to fill?

Reactions: PBJ

F7IN

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
I bought the ITX test bench that a few people here pointed out to me if anyone cares. It's a little janky, so can't wait for the T1. Shame its July now, tempted to buy through QQ and send to Superbuy

theexplainer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 30, 2018
I'm still waiting for my LED strips to get delivered before I'll post my images, but I had some issues with my GPU.
I had to cut a corner off of my DP-plug, because the case is too close to the port on my GPU - took me longer than I'd want to admit to realize why my screen wasn't showing anything and how to fix it.

Already tested the temps from my A4 to the T1, but I guess being closer to the side worked in favor of the A4, the temps got up when moving the build as it is into the T1 (with the 2-slot-gpu configuration, I guess the C7G is reusing the hot air, Installing a Noctua A12x25 below it helped)

Right now I'm still using the C7G and I'm occupying one of the 120mm fan positions with two 2,5" 4tb HDDs I still need to figure out how to replace ^^

cj360

Average Stuffer
Jan 25, 2017
So I know water setups are ideal for this case but what about air coolers (cpu)? Is the L12S the popular choice?

Looking to plan an air setup for my 2600 & 1070itx from a dancase to this case eventually.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
@Wahaha360 Did you end up shipping the power buttons?
I ordered tubes for my LT240. What should I use to refill it? I assume distilled water but I need to add some additive to prevent growth right? And does anyone know about how much water it takes to fill?
I used about a third (less than 350ml) of an Alphacool CKC Coolant 1000ml bottle.

If going with distilled water, yes you should buy the additive.

Reactions: pwnedundies

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I think @Wahaha360 sent them the week after he sent the cases, but said something about using a different system to mail them from for testing purposes, and made no promises on how quickly they'd arrive. Hopefully he will reply to confirm, but that's how I'm remembering it lol.
Yeah! I remember him saying he was going to, but with shipping so crazy, I wonder if he decided to wait a while.

aterra

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 9, 2020
So I know water setups are ideal for this case but what about air coolers (cpu)? Is the L12S the popular choice?

Looking to plan an air setup for my 2600 & 1070itx from a dancase to this case eventually.
You’ll see in the first post that the L12S is the recommended air cooler and a few pages back @Brude27 posted his build with some temps!

theexplainer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 30, 2018
Yeah! I remember him saying he was going to, but with shipping so crazy, I wonder if he decided to wait a while.
iirc he shipped them

Can't wait for the Button to arrive, right now my way to start the Computer is by opening the case and connecting the pins using a screwdriver

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Some images of the completed build. That cable coming out of the back is the temporary power button solution I came up with while I wait for the actual power button to be shipped. I just ripped a reset button from a fractal design case I don't use anymore. Works perfectly fine!

-

Both of the securing bracket for the GPU (2 slot and 3 slot) have their holes misaligned once you get the GPU installed. See picture here. I was able to force the screws in eventually.
So happy that at the end you've managed to finish it!

@Wahaha360 I have the same problem with the 3 slots GPU. For 1/2 mm, even pressing hard and forcing, I cannot mount it. I've secured the GPUs directly to the frame with the thumb screws.

Maybe can be fixed in the V1.2 of the case?

Reactions: Navic

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
The Power Button shipment was rejected due to the backlog and other issues created by the virus, we are having issues shipping outside of China atm.

Don't worry about it, only rich people need such fancy things as power switches, @PBJ, @fabio @Navic can rub two wires together to complete the circuit. We all have to sacrifice during this time.