Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

kazuma86

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 12, 2020
Apologies for bringing the topic up again, but on the subject of M.2 SSDs; if we assume that I have to use all M.2 storage, with one on the front of the motherboard and one behind, and we assume that the one behind will definitely run a lot hotter than the one on the front due to its proximity to the gpu in this case and the fact that it doesn't have an IHS like the front one. Would it be more sensible to put my 1TB OS Drive or my 2TB mass games storage in the front? Which would generate more heat on it's own, running the OS from it or running games from it?

How much storage do you need for M.2?

I'm using 512 just for OS and 2TB SSHD for storage, i think thats quite enough.. since i also have another storage for backup..

pslate

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2018
Anything below 35mm for the entire thing (excluding the wires) should be good, because that's about how long the power cable extension thing is. The shorter, the better. This is the power button I bought from him, and this is what mine looks like. Part of the button and the wire is actually going into the indent in the corner of the fan. Maybe the grey thing can be shortened a bit, because I dont see that in his photos.
I ordered the same one and I mentioned in the comments when ordering it's for the T1 so it should be ok

I sent him a message with your recommendation, since he has the case he can measure it too.

Just now seeing this, the 16mm switches with LED are annoyingly long. Thanks for the feedback concerning the fit issues.

I also have black switch with no LED that are considerably shorter, here's a picture for comparison:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Apologies for bringing the topic up again, but on the subject of M.2 SSDs; if we assume that I have to use all M.2 storage, with one on the front of the motherboard and one behind, and we assume that the one behind will definitely run a lot hotter than the one on the front due to its proximity to the gpu in this case and the fact that it doesn't have an IHS like the front one. Would it be more sensible to put my 1TB OS Drive or my 2TB mass games storage in the front? Which would generate more heat on it's own, running the OS from it or running games from it?
Put the 2TB on the back. I never seen both of them going above 65C. But they are PCIe 3.0

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Alternatively you could also do this M.2 extension cable

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Very cool. Where would you place it inside the T1?
Ì'd say in the back M.2 slot and then route the M.2 to the front by going under the motherboard and coming up at the front?
I'm sure that you could also just loop it towards the psu with the footlong. I'm still wondering if i need the 20 or 30cm one for my build.

I got my Alphacool LT240 and the Noctua NF-A12x15 chromax fan today. Looks a lot better than expected really.

Reactions: DrHudacris

mfmunh

Chassis Packer
Apr 15, 2020
Looking at some of the builds so far, I notice there is some space between the Mobo and GPU, my approach to this issue is retrofitting a small divider/shield using Gold heat reflector tape - creating a barrier for heat transfer from GPU to the M.2.
Alternatively, I was considering using heatsink for the M.2, but the heat transfer from the GPU will cause heat soak and might make it worst.
Of course I don't have the case yet, so I cant say how exactly the divider/shield will be installed, but I plan on using the gold heat tape as a solution. and just to note, I do plan on having 2x M.2 and a SSD in the front.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Looking at some of the builds so far, I notice there is some space between the Mobo and GPU, my approach to this issue is retrofitting a small divider/shield using Gold heat reflector tape - creating a barrier for heat transfer from GPU to the M.2.
Alternatively, I was considering using heatsink for the M.2, but the heat transfer from the GPU will cause heat soak and might make it worst.
Of course I don't have the case yet, so I cant say how exactly the divider/shield will be installed, but I plan on using the gold heat tape as a solution. and just to note, I do plan on having 2x M.2 and a SSD in the front.

I'd be interested in temps before and after the tape if you're willing to measure it for us.
If it's not neccessary i'd rather not have an ugly extension cord running through my build.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
Ì'd say in the back M.2 slot and then route the M.2 to the front by going under the motherboard and coming up at the front?
I'm sure that you could also just loop it towards the psu with the footlong. I'm still wondering if i need the 20 or 30cm one for my build.

I got my Alphacool LT240 and the Noctua NF-A12x15 chromax fan today. Looks a lot better than expected really.
Let us know if you try that M.2 extension. I just have my doubts because it doesn’t look that flexible, but maybe I don’t have the foresight.

The LT240 is good looking and good quality in my opinion. It’s just that with a nice case like this, you hold every component to higher standards and I would wish if everything was anodized or powder coated. ?

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Wouldn't the heat reflector tape trap heat generated by the SSD? Also there might not be enough space for a heatsink, the SSD seems to be right up against the PCIe riser cable, which I think might be another cause for the heat. Not sure though

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020

It would also depend on the brand, for instance my 512 Samsung 960 evo in my Dan A4 when on the back of my board overheated and crashed constantly, i had to have it there on my B350 board at the time as only the front slow supported sata m.2 where i had a crucial mxsomethingarather 500gb for games.
I replaced the 500gb sata m.2 with a XPG8200 2tb nvme and put it on the back of the board and the Samsung on the front under the Asus 'heat sink'

even on the back of the board with just a thin alloy plate rubber banded on, the xpg drive still runs cooler during gaming and file transfers than my Samsung drive that has airflow and bigger heatsink. (the xpg is also slightly faster I belive)
Some brands just run hot, others not so much, it's mostly the controller I think that creates the heat?. I would put the coolest running drive on the back,.

0Zx

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I think the 2TB Sabrent PCI 3.0 NVME drives are good value for money fwiw. I replaced all of my storage with that one drive in order to avoid using the rear m.2 slot.

Reactions: DrHudacris

mfmunh

Chassis Packer
Apr 15, 2020
Wouldn't the heat reflector tape trap heat generated by the SSD? Also there might not be enough space for a heatsink, the SSD seems to be right up against the PCIe riser cable, which I think might be another cause for the heat. Not sure though
Sorry, let me clarify a bit more. Of course is base on what I know and plan for my build. I dont have all the parts nor the case, but I the M.2 that is in front of the mobo, typically next to the PCIe slot, I will leave that alone. The heat shield/ barrier that I'm planning for is to create a barrier between the rear M.2 and the GPU. Said shield/barrier will be mount where it does not contact the rear M.2 or the GPU and with using the gold heat tape, the gold side will be facing the GPU, this way the heat will be deflected by the shield and not effect the rear M.2.
From the photos, there seems to be a bit space for this shield/barrier and i will likely use the railing that holds the Mobo to prop the shield/barrier.
To speak on the Gold tape and my experience with it - I have use it for my car as many other car enthusiast in the engine bay. you would wrap the gold tape around the air inlet and piping to prevent them getting too hot so that the cool air goes into the engine. I've also apply this in the chassis of an old macbook where the bottom would get really hot and the gold tape reduces the heat from the bottom chassis.
I can definitely circle back once I get to building, but in the mean time - I can over a small sample of the Gold tape to any US based case tester to try and offer formal results. Just DM me and we can sort it out there.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Sorry, let me clarify a bit more. Of course is base on what I know and plan for my build. I dont have all the parts nor the case, but I the M.2 that is in front of the mobo, typically next to the PCIe slot, I will leave that alone. The heat shield/ barrier that I'm planning for is to create a barrier between the rear M.2 and the GPU. Said shield/barrier will be mount where it does not contact the rear M.2 or the GPU and with using the gold heat tape, the gold side will be facing the GPU, this way the heat will be deflected by the shield and not effect the rear M.2.
From the photos, there seems to be a bit space for this shield/barrier and i will likely use the railing that holds the Mobo to prop the shield/barrier.
To speak on the Gold tape and my experience with it - I have use it for my car as many other car enthusiast in the engine bay. you would wrap the gold tape around the air inlet and piping to prevent them getting too hot so that the cool air goes into the engine. I've also apply this in the chassis of an old macbook where the bottom would get really hot and the gold tape reduces the heat from the bottom chassis.
I can definitely circle back once I get to building, but in the mean time - I can over a small sample of the Gold tape to any US based case tester to try and offer formal results. Just DM me and we can sort it out there.

FWIW I would recommend trying aerolite plus over even DEI's reflect-a-gold. I've used both extensively, and DEI's reflect a gold for a very long time...but the Aerolite plus based on sensor readings does a better job at reflecting heat, and the normal aerolite works really well surfaces where you need something as thin as possible...

Aerolite also looks better IMO.

This stuff is made by coast fab (now bought out by clarendon)

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
It would also depend on the brand, for instance my 512 Samsung 960 evo in my Dan A4 when on the back of my board overheated and crashed constantly, i had to have it there on my B350 board at the time as only the front slow supported sata m.2 where i had a crucial mxsomethingarather 500gb for games.
I replaced the 500gb sata m.2 with a XPG8200 2tb nvme and put it on the back of the board and the Samsung on the front under the Asus 'heat sink'

even on the back of the board with just a thin alloy plate rubber banded on, the xpg drive still runs cooler during gaming and file transfers than my Samsung drive that has airflow and bigger heatsink. (the xpg is also slightly faster I belive)
Some brands just run hot, others not so much, it's mostly the controller I think that creates the heat?. I would put the coolest running drive on the back,.

I have this exact drive and was planning to use it on the back. Can you share the temps? It's on the front in my current build so that would be a good comparison.