Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
What kind of head is best for this application, looking for something pretty flat
search for "m3 wafer head" screws to get a thin flat head like an ssd screw. there are sellers on ebay that are extraordinarily cheap. you can find some with a 7mm diameter head. the cheap ones ship from china so it may take a month to get them. here's one link.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
Those look like Cheese Head screws, but should work too no problem. A bit unsure about the 6.22 diameter, but I’ll measure the fan brackets later to make sure. Or if someone has a caliper and would like to measure the bracket holes exactly, that would be great.

Edit: Wafer head screws mentioned by @NinoPecorino above sound like a great idea if you need the head to be flat as well as thin.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
search for "m3 wafer head" screws to get a thin flat head like an ssd screw. there are sellers on ebay that are extraordinarily cheap. you can find some with a 7mm diameter head. the cheap ones ship from china so it may take a month to get them. here's one link.

Those look like Cheese Head screws, but should work too no problem. A bit unsure about the 6.22 diameter, but I’ll measure the fan brackets later to make sure. Or if someone has a caliper and would like to measure the bracket holes exactly, that would be great.

Edit: Wafer head screws mentioned by @NinoPecorino above sound like a great idea if you need the head to be flat as well as thin.

Links removed

Last edited:
Reactions: PBJ

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
A American source

A Canadian source
I would avoid those for the fan brackets because they are for countersunk holes. You want a screw that the underside of the head is completely flat.

aexeq

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I would avoid those for the fan brackets because they are for countersunk holes. You want a screw that the underside of the head is completely flat.
I found countersunk screws to work very well, if you only mount the fans to the radiator.
Obviously the radiator will then be mounted to the brackets with pan head screaws, that are included with the radiator.

Edit: Keep in mind, that the wanted length of countersunk screws may not be the same as pan head screws, as the head also partly make them longer, when they are sunk into those fan mounting holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0Zx and PBJ

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
@gwertheim The fan bracket holes are around 5mm. The screws I got are around 6mm and are no good. I would go with 7mm head diameter minimum or 8mm if available for a margin of error.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
How hard was it to remove and reorient the the plug? I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Any tips?

I found it to be pretty difficult, but I went about it very carefully. I used the guitar pick looking things in my Ifixit kit, and pressed in two (one on each side of the plug) simultaneously. It did the trick both times, but the case slightly shaved the locking steps on the plug connection in the process.

Reactions: DrHudacris and PBJ

Philtt

Cable Smoosher
May 30, 2020
Yeah, mine’s a bit like that. That’s the copper. They don’t take too much care with the paint job. Although I’ve heard painting radiators reduce performance anyway, so I don’t know if it’s necessarily a bad thing.

They did it on purpose as the pain will affect the performance. So they coat only the surface with paint but not the internal fins. Constant throughout Alphacool rads

kazuma86

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 12, 2020
Yeah, mine’s a bit like that. That’s the copper. They don’t take too much care with the paint job. Although I’ve heard painting radiators reduce performance anyway, so I don’t know if it’s necessarily a bad thing.
Happen to me also, but still good design.. need improve in QC before shipping

I live in Canada and the duties and shipping cost as much as the fan. No thanks

Also happen to me, customs and tax can't be understand very well.
--
For the screw i love to see upgraded parts like Hex Screw or Star Screw

Reactions: fabio

0Zx

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I also recommend the head diameter not be too small. I had to use washers because the head diameter of the ones I got were too small for the fan brackets.

My digital caliper needs new batteries but I think about 7-8mm should be good.

The screws I have are the cheapest stainless steel flat heads M3 x 20mm screws from Amazon (less than $3 shipped). They have a head diameter of 5mm / 3/16" and "countersink" almost completely flush into the fan housing. Considering the load and amount of space we are dealing with I went with less protrusion over technically correct. I don't have the case yet so I was planning for the unknown. To me, this is perfect. Btw, I arrived at the length by measuring the shank length on the screws that came with the LT240, then subtracting the difference in the fan thickness. This way all of the screws go in the same depth and there is no risk of damage to the radiator..

See I need this case stat, my test bench is getting dusty.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
The screws I have are the cheapest stainless steel flat heads M3 x 20mm screws from Amazon (less than $3 shipped). They have a head diameter of 5mm / 3/16" and "countersink" almost completely flush into the fan housing. Considering the load and amount of space we are dealing with I went with less protrusion over technically correct. I don't have the case yet so I was planning for the unknown. To me, this is perfect. Btw, I arrived at the length by measuring the shank length on the screws that came with the LT240, then subtracting the difference in the fan thickness. This way all of the screws go in the same depth and there is no risk of damage to the radiator..

See I need this case stat, my test bench is getting dusty.
I was recommending 7-8mm screws in relation to the fan brackets only. The screw head of the 20mm screws I have is about 5-6mm in diameter and might not grip the fan bracket correctly if not very careful as shown in the picture below (It could fall into the fan bracket slot when tightening).

I used washers and problem solved, but a 7mm head diameter should also do the trick.

zenpressocup

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2020
@biggieprollz
This is the riser included! R33SF-TU of 20CM! BUT, as suggested, these are Gen3 riser, you have to try to force your motherboard to use the PCIe slot at Gen3.

Here the link.

But you can try also the Link-UP Ultra 4.0, they say it's certified for the Gen4. (I am confident that the 25cm will work here, but maybe take the 30cm to be sure! :D)

Or the 3M, that it's an amazing riser that it Gen4 compatible (Only 25cm, so it's a super tight fit - I just placed them closer)

Here a picture of the 3M and the Included one
View attachment 544

Hi! Will the Flex-VRC-25 riser cable from Fractal Design work as replacement? (210mm PCIe 3.0) I have no plans of using a PCIe 4.0 compatible riser and unfortunately the Link-UP or 3M cables are not available locally in my region for purchase.

F7IN

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
Apologies for bringing the topic up again, but on the subject of M.2 SSDs; if we assume that I have to use all M.2 storage, with one on the front of the motherboard and one behind, and we assume that the one behind will definitely run a lot hotter than the one on the front due to its proximity to the gpu in this case and the fact that it doesn't have an IHS like the front one. Would it be more sensible to put my 1TB OS Drive or my 2TB mass games storage in the front? Which would generate more heat on it's own, running the OS from it or running games from it?