Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Sai-P

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 12, 2022
Is it possible to purchase an aluminium side panel for the FormD T1 v1.2? The only thing that has aged extremely poorly with this case is the original flimsy steel side panels and would love to see a way to upgrade that.

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Is it possible to purchase an aluminium side panel for the FormD T1 v1.2? The only thing that has aged extremely poorly with this case is the original flimsy steel side panels and would love to see a way to upgrade that.
The new side panels are not compatible with the older models unfortunately, the v2 has different dimensions all over. No plans to manufacture them for the "old" models as far as I know.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
I love that top GPU, riserless layout.

Riser cable compatibility has proven to be anywhere from a huge PITA (see: PCIE 3.0 risers on Ryzen boards with PCIE 4.0 and no integrated graphics to get you into the bios switch modes) to an actual safety risk (see: NZXT H1 risers literally catching fire). The Ryzen 7000 lineup is set to have integrated graphics on every CPU, which is a huge convenience feature for troubleshooting, but I'd still prefer to just not need a riser cable in the first place.

We're on PCIE 5.0 now, and who knows when we'll get PCIE 5.0 riser cables. Does it matter? Will my PCIE 5.0 GPU even actually saturate the bandwidth of PCIE 4.0? Is there actually any performance difference between PCIE 3.0 vs 4.0 vs 5.0?

Personally I prefer to just plug the GPU into the motherboard and not even have to consider these questions. 😅

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Was out of the loop for the two-tone front for the V2, any idea on when pre-orders will open again?
It hasn't been sold yet. Date is still TBD, as they are still trying to figure out color matching problems.
We're on PCIE 5.0 now, and who knows when we'll get PCIE 5.0 riser cables. Does it matter? Will my PCIE 5.0 GPU even actually saturate the bandwidth of PCIE 4.0? Is there actually any performance difference between PCIE 3.0 vs 4.0 vs 5.0?

Personally I prefer to just plug the GPU into the motherboard and not even have to consider these questions. 😅
Not even a 3090 uses up all 16 lanes of PCIe Gen 3, so I really wouldn't worry. It's better to not have to think about that stuff, yes, but there are answers out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
It hasn't been sold yet. Date is still TBD, as they are still trying to figure out color matching problems.

Not even a 3090 uses up all 16 lanes of PCIe Gen 3, so I really wouldn't worry. It's better to not have to think about that stuff, yes, but there are answers out there.
If it's true that there is actually zero performance difference between PCIE 3.0 and 4.0, it's kind of insane to think about how many Ryzen users over the past few years dealt with issues getting a video output on their SFF systems due to PCIE 4.0 being the default and not working with their 3.0 riser cables - all that frustration over a setting that provided zero performance gain even to those users who did have their PCIE 4.0 GPU plugged directly into the PCIE 4.0 slot.

Oh well, at least all Ryzen 7000 series CPUs will have an iGPU. No more completely useless video ports on the back of our AMD motherboards.

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
If it's true that there is actually zero performance difference between PCIE 3.0 and 4.0, it's kind of insane to think about how many Ryzen users over the past few years dealt with issues getting a video output on their SFF systems due to PCIE 4.0 being the default and not working with their 3.0 riser cables - all that frustration over a setting that provided zero performance gain even to those users who did have their PCIE 4.0 GPU plugged directly into the PCIE 4.0 slot.

Oh well, at least all Ryzen 7000 series CPUs will have an iGPU. No more completely useless video ports on the back of our AMD motherboards.
Performance difference is almost zero, pretty much negligible

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Performance difference is almost zero, pretty much negligible
Are you really sure?…:)
For gpu with pcie 16x interface I agree that riser (if compatible) is working well.

However some gpu are interfaced with x8 pcie (gen 4) only like RX5500 (first gpu)

In that case, you will notice performance reduction while using gen 3 instead of gen 4.

Overall, riser remains one of the weakest link of smallest SFF for my point of view. (Other ones are mini itx mb, gpu size compatibility and maintenance..:))
That’s why I appreciate so much my Cerberus-x…already 5 years in use and still the SFF king..:)

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
For gpu with pcie 16x interface I agree that riser (if compatible) is working well.

However some gpu are interfaced with x8 pcie (gen 4) only like RX5500 (first gpu)

In that case, you will notice performance reduction while using gen 3 instead of gen 4.

Overall, riser remains one of the weakest link of smallest SFF for my point of view. (Other ones are mini itx mb, gpu size compatibility and maintenance..:))
That’s why I appreciate so much my Cerberus-x…already 5 years in use and still the SFF king..:)
You're right there are cases (or should I say GPUs) where it does matter, I was trying to add to Navic's statement about 16 lane GPUs (as most GPUs are) like the 3090 seeing practically no advantage.

Reactions: MarcParis

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019

Yep, I completely forgot about that. I was also thinking high-end GPUs like the others.

You've reminded me that the RX6500XT is only PCIE 4.0 x4. I remember seeing reviewers criticizing AMD for that, because they released the 6500XT which is only PCIE x4, and also the Ryzen 5500 CPU which only has PCIE 3.0 support, and found that really does slow you down when the GPU is only x4. So AMD's budget CPUs and GPUs actually perform terribly when paired together due to that.

So yeah, in addition to that mess of CPU - PCIE compatibility and support, adding the riser cable as a possible issue on top of it just gets to be too much. So I will always prefer layouts that don't need a riser cable, it's just simpler.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
You're right there are cases (or should I say GPUs) where it does matter, I was trying to add to Navic's statement about 16 lane GPUs (as most GPUs are) like the 3090 seeing practically no advantage.
I would agree, except some specific gpu earlier or competitive games (very high fps), riser should be no problem.
Yep, I completely forgot about that. I was also thinking high-end GPUs like the others.

You've reminded me that the RX6500XT is only PCIE 4.0 x4. I remember seeing reviewers criticizing AMD for that, because they released the 6500XT which is only PCIE x4, and also the Ryzen 5500 CPU which only has PCIE 3.0 support, and found that really does slow you down when the GPU is only x4. So AMD's budget CPUs and GPUs actually perform terribly when paired together due to that.

So yeah, in addition to that mess of CPU - PCIE compatibility and support, adding the riser cable as a possible issue on top of it just gets to be too much. So I will always prefer layouts that don't need a riser cable, it's just simpler.
After my personal usage (2016 to 2021) of riser on S4 mini, node 202, SM550 and CL530, riser is simply adding some technical complexity, making almost mandatory to have another desktop computer for troubleshooting.

I would advice riser (and SFF) only for well informed users (it reminds me some videos from hardware Canucks on their SFFs progress…:):))

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
I would agree, except some specific gpu earlier or competitive games (very high fps), riser should be no problem.

After my personal usage (2016 to 2021) of riser on S4 mini, node 202, SM550 and CL530, riser is simply adding some technical complexity, making almost mandatory to have another desktop computer for troubleshooting.

I would advice riser (and SFF) only for well informed users (it reminds me some videos from hardware Canucks on their SFFs progress…:):))
Luckily upcoming AMD GPUs have iGPUs, should make riser issues somewhat less painful at least, if you do end up with mismatched PCIe generations and need to change some BIOS settings.

Reactions: MarcParis

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

2022-08-20 Update: Introducing the T1-REF HF (high flow).​

A recent review has created thermal anxiety for the T1-REF compared to the T1-SW. So we are making a new T1-REF HF variant to close the thermal gap.

The main change is that one of the two Top | Bottom Panel has a *removable acrylic mesh insert. This allows for more airflow. Also, when the acrylic mesh insert is removed, the extra spacing allows for thicker GPUs in the T1-REF and an unobstructed view of the GPU. We are waiting for the prototype in the coming weeks and will update you guys on the thermal improvements once we have data.

To further improve the thermals on T1-REF, a 92mm fan can be installed next to the GPU by downloading the 3D file T1-REF GPU Fan Bracket (https://formdworks.com/products/3d-print-files).

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015

A recent review has created thermal anxiety for the T1-REF compared to the T1-SW. So we are making a new T1-REF HF variant to close the thermal gap.

The main change is that one of the two Top | Bottom Panel has a *removable acrylic mesh insert. This allows for more airflow. Also, when the acrylic mesh insert is removed, the extra spacing allows for thicker GPUs in the T1-REF and an unobstructed view of the GPU. We are waiting for the prototype in the coming weeks and will update you guys on the thermal improvements once we have data.

To further improve the thermals on T1-REF, a 92mm fan can be installed next to the GPU by downloading the 3D file T1-REF GPU Fan Bracket (https://formdworks.com/products/3d-print-files).

Re-moveable as in, lift the whole sheet out and you just raw doggin' your top and bot panels with a huge rectangle hole? Or early april fools?

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
Re-moveable as in, lift the whole sheet out and you just raw doggin' your top and bot panels with a huge rectangle hole? Or early april fools?
Removeable as in a hollow top panel, like the hollow front panel already has inspired many modders.
A hollow top panel means you can probably fit 2 25mm fans on a 27mm AIO radiator.

Kapsi

Trash Compacter
Nov 20, 2018

Perhaps you have some news about the upgrade kit? I think I read a couple of months ago that there would be that option for those who bought the Reference version. Considering this new alternative, I would prefer to pay extra for the upgrade. Thanks for your hard work! I am very happy with my REF!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Perhaps you have some news about the upgrade kit? I think I read a couple of months ago that there would be that option for those who bought the Reference version. Considering this new alternative, I would prefer to pay extra for the upgrade. Thanks for your hard work! I am very happy with my REF!

We are working on a kit.

If you are worried about FE GPU temp, you can download the 3D Print file for GPU Exhaust Fan; that should resolve the issue.

We will have a kit for this upgrade soon, and it's a high priority.

• Love
Reactions: Kapsi