Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

carrefinho

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2020
That's beautiful. Would you be willing to make one for me? if it fits in 3 slot mode with same board.

Amazing idea and execution! I'd love to have one and second PKAWA's request - or alternatively, I would happily pay you for a copy of the design files :)

Sign me up if you want more testers or will sell this. Love it!
Glad people liked it! I'd love to make it available but at the moment this is extremely tailor-made for my build. It requires this custom AC extension cable (I know it looks sketchy because it is; the stock one is simply too bulky and always blocks one of the two ports), the power button relocated (I'm trying to find it a new home), and a custom radiator bracket (the stock one extends further backward).
With that said I'm willing to share the files, once I finish this build because there's still much more to come!

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020
So I tested these two setups:
  • Three A12x15s on the top radiator (elevated by 6mm w/ these, which results in 1 °C improvement than not elevated as tested previously).
  • Two Thermaltake Toughfan 12 (aka "pre-release" Noctua A12x25 chromax) on the top radiator (pull) + one A12x15 (push). I did not sand the Toughfan. Just installed them and rested the top panel on top.
Both setups include a side radiator with two A12x15s in exhaust running at 1200rpm. Load was 380W (CPU+GPU) with both setups normalized to 43dBA (also recorded noise from both – pretty similar sound). For the all-A12x15 setup that means top fans are at 57% (~1200rpm). For the Thermaltake setup this means the three top radiator fans are all running at 65% (Toughfan 12 @ 1220rpm and the pushing A12x15 @ 1400rpm; unfortunately I have run out of headers on my Quadro to run them at different % to match fan speed).

Turns out that the all-A12x15 setup was better, at 21.2 °C of coolant delta compared to 23.7 °C with Toughfan 12. The latter is not fully optimized due to the top fans running at different speeds, but that's still a sizable difference. If the tests suggesting that Toughfan 12 performs very similarly to A12x25 are of any merit I will probably skip A12x25 chromax when they are out. @eedev also found 3x A12x25s to be only 1 °C better than 3x A12x15s on top.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Glad people liked it! I'd love to make it available but at the moment this is extremely tailor-made for my build. It requires this custom AC extension cable (I know it looks sketchy because it is; the stock one is simply too bulky and always blocks one of the two ports), the power button relocated (I'm trying to find it a new home), and a custom radiator bracket (the stock one extends further backward).
With that said I'm willing to share the files, once I finish this build because there's still much more to come!

everybody would appreciate more photos and quiet close details.

good idea !

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
It requires this custom AC extension cable

No worries, I actually performed the same mod last weekend (except I put some tape on the exposed contacts):

Also, I love seeing that you added the external fill ports as well - This way I could drop it right in (since I'm using one of them for the external QDC's)!
So my case is ready for beta testing 😅

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020

No problem!
In hindsight I don't even have the room for it when my hardlines/ ssd/ watersensor/pwr btn are installed hahah., it's just a really good space optimization with that reservoir!

Testifier

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
So I tested these two setups:
  • Three A12x15s on the top radiator (elevated by 6mm w/ these, which results in 1 °C improvement than not elevated as tested previously).
  • Two Thermaltake Toughfan 12 (aka "pre-release" Noctua A12x25 chromax) on the top radiator (pull) + one A12x15 (push). I did not sand the Toughfan. Just installed them and rested the top panel on top.
Both setups include a side radiator with two A12x15s in exhaust running at 1200rpm. Load was 380W (CPU+GPU) with both setups normalized to 43dBA (also recorded noise from both – pretty similar sound). For the all-A12x15 setup that means top fans are at 57% (~1200rpm). For the Thermaltake setup this means the three top radiator fans are all running at 65% (Toughfan 12 @ 1220rpm and the pushing A12x15 @ 1400rpm; unfortunately I have run out of headers on my Quadro to run them at different % to match fan speed).

Turns out that the all-A12x15 setup was better, at 21.2 °C of coolant delta compared to 23.7 °C with Toughfan 12. The latter is not fully optimized due to the top fans running at different speeds, but that's still a sizable difference. If the tests suggesting that Toughfan 12 performs very similarly to A12x25 are of any merit I will probably skip A12x25 chromax when they are out. @eedev also found 3x A12x25s to be only 1 °C better than 3x A12x15s on top.
The A12x25 is virtually silent under 1200rpm, while the A12x15 gets audible at 1000rpm and definitely gets loud from 1200rpm up. Different noise floor and individual preference, but if you truly want a silent setup at non-throttling temps, and I mean silent, not quiet, then there's no contest at all.

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020
The A12x25 is virtually silent under 1200rpm, while the A12x15 gets audible at 1000rpm and definitely gets loud from 1200rpm up. Different noise floor and individual preference, but if you truly want a silent setup at non-throttling temps, and I mean silent, not quiet, then there's no contest at all.
I went in the test with those expectations as well. When testing Toughfan 12 and A12x15 on a radiator outside the case it seemed that there was no contest. Both at full speed, Toughfan 12 had noticeably more airflow and was probably a bit quieter. I was too puzzled by the result.

I think there's something introduced by the case. The noise profile is quite different with/without the top panel on for example. With the top panel off, the A12x15s have mostly a motor sound. With the top panel on, the motor sound is somewhat suppressed, but there's now a more prominent airflow sound. My hypothesis is that a good proportion of the noise simply scales with the amount of airflow, so a good fan's advantage is diminished because it can't eliminate the noise of air moving through the panel.

I happen to come across this article today, which tested different fan grills. Most of them generated significant additional noise (although it was tested with the grill on the intake rather than exhaust side).

Still, that doesn't actually explain why Toughfan 12 was worse when noise-normalized (if we assume that they are as good as A12x25, which may or may not be true). So I pulled them out again and ran them outside the case, but sandwiched between a radiator (tried TX240 and Hanjiang 17mm) and the T1's top panel, pushing air through the panel. Again I noticed a similar situation to A12x15 where without the panel it's almost purely motor noise and it turns into an airflow noise with the panel.

What's more interesting though is that Toughfan 12 generates pretty significant turbulence noise under this scenario (think about wind blowing through two pieces of paper). When it's only pushing through the top panel, or only pulling through the radiator, there is no issue. I only hear turbulence when it's sandwiched between the top panel and the radiator. It's noticeable with TX240, and much louder with Hanjiang 17mm. So Toughfan 12 is probably not well-suited in this setup.

I wonder if A12x25 has this phenomenon (unexpected turbulence noise) as well. Just by how highly I regard Noctua I'm assuming no. But would be interested if others can try this with A12x25 in the setup I described.

Last edited:

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 23, 2020
I went in the test with those expectations as well. When testing Toughfan 12 and A12x15 on a radiator outside the case it seemed that there was no contest. Both at full speed, Toughfan 12 had noticeably more airflow and was probably a bit quieter. I was too puzzled by the result.

I think there's something introduced by the case. The noise profile is quite different with/without the top panel on for example. With the top panel off, the A12x15s have mostly a motor sound. With the top panel on, the motor sound is somewhat suppressed, but there's now a more prominent airflow sound. My hypothesis is that a good proportion of the noise simply scales with the amount of airflow, so a good fan's advantage is diminished because it can't eliminate the noise of air moving through the panel.

I happen to come across this article today, which tested different fan grills. Most of them generated significant additional noise (although it was tested with the grill on the intake rather than exhaust side).

Still, that doesn't actually explain why Toughfan 12 was worse when noise-normalized (if we assume that they are as good as A12x25, which may or may not be true). So I pulled them out again and ran them outside the case, but sandwiched between a radiator (tried TX240 and Hanjiang 17mm) and the T1's top panel, pushing air through the panel. Again I noticed a similar situation to A12x15 where without the panel it's almost purely motor noise and it turns into an airflow noise with the panel.

What's more interesting though is that Toughfan 12 generates pretty significant turbulence noise under this scenario (think about wind blowing through two pieces of paper). When it's only pushing through the top panel, or only pulling through the radiator, there is no issue. I only hear turbulence when it's sandwiched between the top panel and the radiator. It's noticeable with TX240, and much louder with Hanjiang 17mm. So Toughfan 12 is probably not well-suited in this setup.

I wonder if A12x25 has this phenomenon (unexpected turbulence noise) as well. Just by how highly I regard Noctua I'm assuming no. But would be interested if others can try this with A12x25 in the setup I described.
For me it did, the top panel changed the sound profile with A12x25 sanded down fans. It made it not worth it for me sound wise.

Édit: not worth it because A12x15 were already doing OK.

Last edited:

angusp

Case Bender
New User
Jan 19, 2021
Is there any plan to have the option to sell pci 4.0 riser cable at formd t1 1.2?
There seem to be a few people trying the Linkup PCIe 4 risers, but I'm not sure which is the best fit for the T1, but they give the cable lengths (and connector orientations) in the listings so get one that's the same or a touch longer than the stock FormD riser

Reactions: DrHudacris

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Anyone has actually confirmed which linkup cable length works with the T1? There is 18cm or 20cm one but I'm not sure which one matches precisely the stock T1 riser.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Anyone has actually confirmed which linkup cable length works with the T1? There is 18cm or 20cm one but I'm not sure which one matches precisely the stock T1 riser.
18cm is too tight for most people to install. 20cm double reverse causes problems with the excess cable length (the reverse connector on the motherboard side makes it hard to store the excess cable). This is the cable I recommend, as it is long enough to fit, and only has a single reverse connector on the GPU side, so you can more easily store the excess on the motherboard side.
But, you should know that any cable that isn't officially supported (like the linkup cable) can limit your fan and radiator clearance, as the connector on the GPU side is a bit too big, and extends beyond the housing for the cable, which protrudes into the fan/radiator space.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
18cm is too tight for most people to install. 20cm double reverse causes problems with the excess cable length (the reverse connector on the motherboard side makes it hard to store the excess cable). This is the cable I recommend, as it is long enough to fit, and only has a single reverse connector on the GPU side, so you can more easily store the excess on the motherboard side.
But, you should know that any cable that isn't officially supported (like the linkup cable) can limit your fan and radiator clearance, as the connector on the GPU side is a bit too big, and extends beyond the housing for the cable, which protrudes into the fan/radiator space.

agreed,
I have that cable in 25cm white but
gpu side is way to large compare to stock formd-t1 case,
and it's impossible to fit radiator work both 15mm fans if you are using oversized water block.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
My linkup cable doesn't protrude beyond the bracket but it is short. haven't tried the cable with the ssd installed in the back yet but it might still prove to short.
hi I'm ordering some custom cables from pSlate and I'm running to the dilemma of whether or not I want to flip the PSU. I'm going to be using the case in 3 slot mode and flipping the entire case for top exhaust and using an LT 240. I think the extra space by the radiator would be good but it sounds like it makes it a little more difficult to route the tubes.

Does anyone have experience with the different orientations?
If you want to use 3 fans than I wouldn't flip the psu. You won't have room for the tubes.
Otherwise, I would for a cleaner build so that means power cable on top.

Truth

Formerly TutorialIsland
Mar 19, 2020
Excited on the prospect of the 1.2 for continued parts, even if I didn't receive a direct response. Now remains one more curiosity, given the small amount of cases left to produce (Mine included) that are overdue, is there no way we can have an eta of our spot in line based on purchase date? @Wahaha360

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
If you want to use 3 fans than I wouldn't flip the psu. You won't have room for the tubes.
Otherwise, I would for a cleaner build so that means power cable on top.

that is not true,
look at my build,
3 fans fit nicely and there is a room for tubes,
you just need to rotate your radiator !
:)

here is a link if my signature does not show

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
that is not true,
look at my build,
3 fans fit nicely and there is a room for tubes,
you just need to rotate your radiator !
:)

here is a link if my signature does not show

Okay

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Excited on the prospect of the 1.2 for continued parts, even if I didn't receive a direct response. Now remains one more curiosity, given the small amount of cases left to produce (Mine included) that are overdue, is there no way we can have an eta of our spot in line based on purchase date? @Wahaha360

No ETA because machine time, anodizing and yield are not within our control.

Reactions: Truth