Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Nero

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2020
I'm running a TUF 3090 in mine. I haven't measured the VRAM temps, but the card has 0 issues in the case. The m.2 on the back is my only temp concern as it does sit around 65c (960 EVO) during gaming.

I am running the card at 1995MHz @ 950mv - the card itself runs cool, tops out at 66c during gaming.

Thanks for your insight it's good if it performs just as well even in such a crammed setup, my worry was more about longevity of these very hot components without airflow though

TSOF

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2020
I have an FE in mine and the Temps that I can read are very good - similar to @SushiRoll.
I don't think there are temp sensors on the vram - if they are, they aren't showing anywhere in GPUZ.

The m.2 SSD I have on the back slot of my mobo is still cooler than the one on the front.

Nero

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2020
I have an FE in mine and the Temps that I can read are very good - similar to @SushiRoll.
I don't think there are temp sensors on the vram - if they are, they aren't showing anywhere in GPUZ.

The m.2 SSD I have on the back slot of my mobo is still cooler than the one on the front.

Thanks, I might be worrying too much

@SushiRoll oh and regarding M.2 SSDs, I don't think it's too much of a concern because NAND actually likes heat, the only part that likes to run cool is the controller and that one can throttle itself when too hot to avoid damage.

Personally, I have my gaming drive on the front with the big mobo heatsink so that when gaming it has access to airflow (SN850, so crazy fast but gets toasty), and my second drive (Sabrent Rocket 4.0) that is on the back is for OS/regular files so at worse it throttles from its blazing speed to less blazing speed and doesn't affect FPS but most likely it remains at manageable temps and is basically idle when gaming.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
Yeah I saw this video, but sadly he doesn't go in depth at all regarding temps, he just looks at the die not the memory.
I had a PNY 3090 air-cooled and it was fine, the back plate does get hot though. Temps on load on was 68. Water-cooled now runs roughly 56-58.

bigwhiteyeti

Caliper Novice
Jan 27, 2020
Hey y'all. Currently running a 9900k and 2080ti. Thinking about upgrading to a 3080 (you know, when they're available), but I'm worried about the thermal capacity of a single 240 rad - most of the 3000-series builds I've seen on here have had additional radiators.

Am I going to run into heat soak issues if I upgrade and try to stick with 240mm of radiator?

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Hey y'all. Currently running a 9900k and 2080ti. Thinking about upgrading to a 3080 (you know, when they're available), but I'm worried about the thermal capacity of a single 240 rad - most of the 3000-series builds I've seen on here have had additional radiators.

Am I going to run into heat soak issues if I upgrade and try to stick with 240mm of radiator?
Single rad builds with that much heat (especially with intel) are going to have a very tough time. You either need to downvolt heavily or add another radiator.

What I would personally do is just get an AIO for the CPU and get a thicker air cooled GPU, as this will probably end up being just as quiet as a full custom loop (or quieter, because you'd probably have to run the fans faster on a single rad loop), and with basically the same temperatures, with no worry about liquid temp.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Single rad builds with that much heat (especially with intel) are going to have a very tough time. You either need to downvolt heavily or add another radiator.

What I would personally do is just get an AIO for the CPU and get a thicker air cooled GPU, as this will probably end up being just as quiet as a full custom loop (or quieter, because you'd probably have to run the fans faster on a single rad loop), and with basically the same temperatures, with no worry about liquid temp.
The Asus tuf is cool enough without watercooling it. It's also a lot cheaper to just use it as is, although I suspect that it's part of the hobby to want to just go for the ultimate set-up.
I can understand that, because I've been tempted to do the double rad too, but do think it will be the best balance to just keep it as you suggest.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018

If it’s a gaming-focussed rig cool the graphics with water and keep the CPU on air. Even a 3090 + waterblock only needs two slots.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
If it’s a gaming-focussed rig cool the graphics with water and keep the CPU on air. Even a 3090 + waterblock only needs two slots.
But the new GPUs, especially the TUF model from Asus, already have good coolers, and you wouldn't see much, if any of a performance improvement going the watercooling route. Plus, for most people, they don't want to watercool the GPU, it's a lot more work as you're essentially making a custom loop. Yes you can go that route, but I'd personally have a good balance and not prioritize any one component.

BOGLOAD

Caliper Novice
Aug 13, 2020
Your setup is exactly what I'm planning to build down to the mobo, RAM, AIO, and GPU so you're giving me hope. I didn't want to return the Tridents so I was wondering if the AIO tubes would fit by routing them up towards the mobo-side fan followed by pinching them between the RAM and AIO fan. I ordered a couple of Noctua 12x15 fans to maximize that overhead space. Three questions:

1) Would you be able to share pics along the path of the tubes near the RAM, fans, and PSU as well as the orientation of the block (I think I get yours but want to be sure)?
2) Do you think that I'd get extra clearance from the low profile fans?
3) You mentioned that the radiator is sitting freely. If you could mount it, would it be to the top panel with protruding screw caps? Would a low profile fan allow for secured mounting by brackets?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Been running for a month now without problems :)

1. Don't have any pics right now, as I'm waiting for a 3080 to come in so I can do a final 'complete' showcase. The tubes actually fit on the right side closest to the ram going upwards, and just over the ram locking hinges. So out the right side of the block, directly upward along the trident sticks, then right across the hinges, dipping downward then back upward. I didn't use the long rad brackets, just the smaller ones as the right one interfered with the pump port. On second though, could have gone the long rad support on the GPU side, and shorter one on the PSU side of the case (I think, might consider this when I put the new GPU in to screw down the rad properly).

2. Fan above the mobo closest to the power cable can be a 25mm fan, no problems. HEAPS of clearance. Fan below the radiator is a low profile, and I would be using that TBH. I believe you can use a stock 25mm unit, but the clearances made it a little bit tight given how I currently have the tubes routed ram side, and not shroud side (buckling of cables etc).

3. I actually saw that its possible to mount it via the top, but avoided it for aesthetic purposes. its close enough that it doesn't annoy me.

Depending on your cable management, I might also suggest a slim fan filter for both fans. Dirty little VRM cable likes to hit the 25mm fan from memory unless taped down properly, and some of the power cables out of the PSU like to creep occasionally. I tied them all down so it's not an issue, but if I were to clean it up i'd go that way in future.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
But the new GPUs, especially the TUF model from Asus, already have good coolers, and you wouldn't see much, if any of a performance improvement going the watercooling route.
I hear you. Setting aside an included cooler triggers a bit of a sunk-cost response for me. In a perfect world AIB vendors would optionally sell us naked boards, right? As to performance, noise also matters – and nothing quiets a system like water-cooling the GPU.

Plus, for most people, they don't want to watercool the GPU, it's a lot more work as you're essentially making a custom loop.
Hmm, maybe. I mean, if you’re considering a boutique, low-volume SFF case you probably aren’t ‘most people’ anyway.

Yes you can go that route, but I'd personally have a good balance and not prioritize any one component.
One person’s good balance can be another‘s poor prioritization.

Setting aside all issues of difficulty or system noise or sunk costs, it really seems that everyone in PC-dom has been conditioned to approach cooling as a CPU-first problem. If somebody tells you they have a single AIO or have water-cooled only one component, we all assume it’s the CPU.

Where in a gaming system are the majority of transistors allocated... and which component consumes the most power? At modern and increasing resolutions, what resource becomes less and less of a bottleneck? We know the answers. Look at a die shot of the PS5 or Series X SoCs. It’s mostly GPU.

Now introduce an amazing SFF case where, by waterblocking the GPU, one can actually *gain* space on the CPU side. Well that makes it an easy call, IMO.

Just my $.02, of course. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
It's not that simple. When you air cool the cpu you will need to run it in two slot mode and you lose the room you have just gained with a big cooler
I usually buy a new GPU every 2 to 3 years so water cooling it every time gets pretty expensive not to mention it's not an easy drop in replacement.

Reactions: eedev

jouz

Trash Compacter
Oct 9, 2020
I hear you. Setting aside an included cooler triggers a bit of a sunk-cost response for me. In a perfect world AIB vendors would optionally sell us naked boards, right? As to performance, noise also matters – and nothing quiets a system like water-cooling the GPU.

I totally feel you about the sunken cost; After waiting for that ASUS 3080 EK gpu to be released but nowhere to be found, I ended up getting a regular 3080 AIB and the block seperately - but this turned out to be cheaper in sum than the quotes I've seen for the ASUS EK one.

Comparing the noise levels under full load between the full loop (single 240) and the GPU on air, I may have gained only a little (although neither setups are extremely loud, especially after just a little undervolting of the GPU).

However, under idle and medium loads, the full custom loop is so much more pleasant. Especially as I wasn't able to configure the 3080 to just keep a constant low fan speed in idle. Instead it would just intermittently burst up in idle. Very annoying.
And I think this is an example of something "most people" might not obsess about, but "we" do.

Plus, as you say, it's a nice space trade-off when you can get rid of a humungus 3 slot gpu cooler. Also don't forget the space you gain in full loop scenarios, as it trades for better airflow and thus benefits radiator performance.

I'm not sure about the viability of dual or single rad 3090 + High TDP CPU setups. But I think the debate is still out on whether a (slightly undervolted) 3080 + a low-mid-ish TDP CPU can't be reasonably watercooled even with a single 240 in the T1. Maybe not quite silent under full load, but still favorably compared to the aircooled GPU under full load once the case is closed. I'll certainly publish my findings once I got my case :).

I usually buy a new GPU every 2 to 3 years so water cooling it every time gets pretty expensive not to mention it's not an easy drop in replacement.

This of course is a very fair point.

Last edited:

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
just upgraded to a 5900x from a 3950x and seems like I can still cool it along with a 3090 using a 240mm rad and 120mm rad without any tweaking. though I will say the 5900x runs alot hotter and dumping more heat into my loop causing my gpu to run hotter (50 vs 61).

Overall I'm pretty happy with the TX rads - Optimum tech is running pretty much the same hardware (different mobo) and get same temps with smaller rad surface area (480 vs 360) and lower fans speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris and jouz

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
Just to confirm it is possible (though a difficult fit) I can squeeze the LT240, 2 15mm fans above it, and a 25mm fan below it correct? If not, a 15mm fan below it?
Just making sure before I spend more money than necessary.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Yeah I think so, but don't know if you gain anything doing it vs two fans underneath, push is said to be better than pull.
Would be nice to see a comparison between the two setups