Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
You really don't need 2.5 slot for anything really, 3 slot can do basically everything, and as many people have already demonstrated, 2 slot is just fine for water cooling. Wahaha has already said no to this idea because the very slight and niche benefits it would add are not worth the extra cost to make it happen.
A lot of people are having issues with their CPU pump block not fitting. 2.5 slot mode would solve most of their issues. Right now, the only way to solve this problem is to set it to 2 slot mode. 2 slot mode limits GPU thickness, so that's not good. 2.5 slot would be a nice sweet spot for water-cooling and custom loops.

Reactions: x111

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
A lot of people are having issues with their CPU pump block not fitting. 2.5 slot mode would solve most of their issues. Right now, the only way to solve this problem is to set it to 2 slot mode. 2 slot mode limits GPU thickness, so that's not good. 2.5 slot would be a nice sweet spot for water-cooling and custom loops.

totally agree,
that would give a lot more flexibility.

Reactions: Gerold

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017

@Wahaha360 has said that he has no plans to update the design anytime soon considering the tooling for a case can cost into the 6 figures. As you know sff cases are niche cases. This case is a good balance and very well designed. You can't make everyone happy.

In terms of getting your cpu block to fit, check out these fittings

laplamgor

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2019
Wow nice to see the thermal performance! That's what I will be challanging with my 240+280 negative pressure plan. The build is alomst there. I'm going to build it after I take my GRE test on 10.16, just a few days left!

Could you provide the CPU + GPU power corresponding to those tests? That will provide a better reference to decide which is better.

BTW the 240 + 280 negative pressure plan may not be the end! I just found a possible way to actively cool a 280*30mm radiator at GPU side. I need to wait until I get the case to find out whether I can really make it. Hoping that to enable us to extremely overclock everything in this 9.5L case (maybe 250W CPU + 400W GPU)!

Btw, not sure if you were planning to use an ek se280.
You can deshroud a EK radiator to get it smaller by ~2mm in each dimension. You will lose the fan mounting holes, but I guess it isnt a problem for your passive rad setup.

wenyuax

Average Stuffer
Aug 16, 2020
Btw, not sure if you were planning to use an ek se280.
You can deshroud a EK radiator to get it smaller by ~2mm in each dimension. You will lose the fan mounting holes, but I guess it isnt a problem for your passive rad setup.
I'm using corsair hydro x 280. That just fits in theory (312*140*30). Deshrouding may not be a good choice for me since I need those mounting holes to hold the radiator. But the extra clearance is good for me to mount multiple 40mm fans at the top. I'll figure out whether it worth it!

wenyuax

Average Stuffer
Aug 16, 2020
@Wahaha360 has said that he has no plans to update the design anytime soon considering the tooling for a case can cost into the 6 figures. As you know sff cases are niche cases. This case is a good balance and very well designed. You can't make everyone happy.

In terms of getting your cpu block to fit, check out these fittings

Also, Barrowch has a rotary fitting with 25mm height. That also looks good!
Barrowch open type rotary fitting

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Was just suggesting a 2.5 slot mode to add a lot of flexibility and hardware support

Of course but then you need to look at the cost of manufacturing the front and back panels, it would cost a couple thousand dollars in machine time and materials. That's what most people don't understand, it is a huge investment to create a case like this. I am not sure you grasp how much that can be for a low volume case like this especially after production has already started.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Of course but then you need to look at the cost of manufacturing the front and back panels, it would cost a couple thousand dollars in machine time and materials. That's what most people don't understand, it is a huge investment to create a case like this. I am not sure you grasp how much that can be for a low volume case like this especially after production has already started.

He doesn't need to look at the cost of anything; that's your job and @Wahaha360's.

Fans and customers should be welcomed to make feature requests, sound or otherwise. Responding to them in good form looks like "Thank you for your suggestion. No promises, but we'll look into it."

Responding in bad form looks like the post above. "What most people don't understand" and "I'm not sure you grasp" reads as insulting.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
He doesn't need to look at the cost of anything; that's your job and @Wahaha360's.

Fans and customers should be welcomed to make feature requests, sound or otherwise. Responding to them in good form looks like "Thank you for your suggestion. No promises, but we'll look into it."

Responding in bad form looks like the post above. "What most people don't understand" and "I'm not sure you grasp" reads as insulting.

It's not my job, Wahaha360 makes all the decisions and if I am not mistaken he has said a couple of times that any revisions will be in a year or two. I am a volunteer who takes the time to dig deeper than any sane person would to the point where I have a useless grasp of the type of machines being used and the type of steel the case is made of. Learning the potential cost and time of the process was me scratching the surface.

The problem is a good chunk of society don't know how long or how much it takes to make everyday items.

Yes I am an ass and not great with people but we live in a time where we have access to unlimited amounts of information about almost anything and at the same time we take the smallest things for granted because we can go to the store and get it without a second thought of how it was made, why it looks and functions the way it does.

As a cook, I have learned what it takes to grow fresh food from seed to plate, from birth to plate. I have learned the theory and some of the practical skills into making a knife, if it wasn't for covid, I would have it in my hands by now.

I don't expect that deep level of knowledge. I always have hope that people will understand the amount of time and money which goes into a change like that so close to initial release.

nulio

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2020
We can't assume people are asking for revisions ASAP.

Other cases got revisions with time and people give suggestions because they love the case and want to make it even better for them.

If there's a big revision in the future, it's possible to make it even more flexible and increase the hardware compatibility. Most people won't have the technical knowledge or will know the costs involved but suggestions can be given: allowing for 2.5 slot (cooler and block compatibility), allowing to move things around and put fans on top without flipping the case (motherboard/cooler/case compatibility), etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
It's not my job, Wahaha360 makes all the decisions and if I am not mistaken he has said a couple of times that any revisions will be in a year or two. I am a volunteer who takes the time to dig deeper than any sane person would to the point where I have a useless grasp of the type of machines being used and the type of steel the case is made of. Learning the potential cost and time of the process was me scratching the surface.

The problem is a good chunk of society don't know how long or how much it takes to make everyday items.

Yes I am an ass and not great with people but we live in a time where we have access to unlimited amounts of information about almost anything and at the same time we take the smallest things for granted because we can go to the store and get it without a second thought of how it was made, why it looks and functions the way it does.

As a cook, I have learned what it takes to grow fresh food from seed to plate, from birth to plate. I have learned the theory and some of the practical skills into making a knife, if it wasn't for covid, I would have it in my hands by now.

I don't expect that deep level of knowledge. I always have hope that people will understand the amount of time and money which goes into a change like that so close to initial release.

To be fair G, We appreciate your assistance in reply and helping of W360, but in that light, it does help yourself to remember that taking on that role means that your responses directly reflect the image of the 'FormD' brand now, whether responsible for design changes or not.
In this case, the options for the response should have been, as said by others "thanks for the feedback, it may be looked into, however, no new revisions are planned in the foreseeable future but do not rule it out" (or something similar) or simply, no reply. Both better than a mini lecture.

Once again, we appreciate the effort and time you put in here, so please take it as constructive feedback and nothing more.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
To be fair G, We appreciate your assistance in reply and helping of W360, but in that light, it does help yourself to remember that taking on that role means that your responses directly reflect the image of the 'FormD' brand now, whether responsible for design changes or not.
In this case, the options for the response should have been, as said by others "thanks for the feedback, it may be looked into, however, no new revisions are planned in the foreseeable future but do not rule it out" (or something similar) or simply, no reply. Both better than a mini lecture.

Once again, we appreciate the effort and time you put in here, so please take it as constructive feedback and nothing more.

Yes you are right and I do apologize to everyone

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
@Wahaha360 is in quarantine right now on his way to China with potato internet, I mean almost as bad as dialup. He can answer that but I would guess q2 2021 but who knows if covid forces more shutdowns like in February.

Thanks for the quick reply! Will keep my eyes out, Im in no rush at the moment