Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
I'm not sure, I live in Europe and it's 17:30 09-09 here. i thought this guy was situated in Miami Florida and that it's 11:30 AM 09-09 there.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I'm not sure, I live in Europe and it's 17:30 09-09 here. i thought this guy was situated in Miami Florida and that it's 11:30 AM 09-09 there.
Sure but he tweeted that 15 hours ago. That would be Tuesday evening Sept 8th for him in Florida.

Reactions: PKAWA

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
I don't use Twitter so i really can't say for sure but under his message it reads
2:38 a.m. · 9 sep. 2020
I assumed this was the time of posting and that the announcement will be made on the 10th.
I hope they will release a biggest Navi and are competitive with at least the 3080 possibly 90 while using less power!

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I don't use Twitter so i really can't say for sure but under his message it reads
2:38 a.m. · 9 sep. 2020
I assumed this was the time of posting and that the announcement will be made on the 10th.
I hope they will release a biggest Navi and are competitive with at least the 3080 possibly 90 while using less power!
Yep that's your local time for when the tweet was posted! As far as I know, the only high profile man that tweets at 2am in the US is orange and wears a wig.

Anyway! The announcement is probably this:

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
I wonder how much of the gpu market will be lost to them solely by their release date if they won't release more info.

Yeah, interesting thought since Ampere ought to be relatively well distributed in the market by then. Although I also wonder whether it's a calculated risk based on possible assumptions that hardcore NVIDIA fans probably wouldn't be swayed anyhow, and those on the fence are likely already awaiting Big Navi, et al. anyhow. Still seems hella risky to me to wait that long, though. Hopefully it's worth it!

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Yeah, interesting thought since Ampere ought to be relatively well distributed in the market by then. Although I also wonder whether it's a calculated risk based on possible assumptions that hardcore NVIDIA fans probably wouldn't be swayed anyhow, and those on the fence are likely already awaiting Big Navi, et al. anyhow. Still seems hella risky to me to wait that long, though. Hopefully it's worth it!
I feel like the only thing they actually have is a competitor for the 3070 that will release in Oktober.
The 3070Ti is pretty much confirmed already so that won't go well.
Otherwise it makes no sense to wait this long with an announcement.
They are basically giving the market to Nvidia, and if I can I am getting a 3090.

Reactions: SoSquidTaste

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020

Reactions: DmanX

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I feel like the only thing they actually have is a competitor for the 3070 that will release in Oktober.
The 3070Ti is pretty much confirmed already so that won't go well.
Otherwise it makes no sense to wait this long with an announcement.
They are basically giving the market to Nvidia, and if I can I am getting a 3090.

I'm planning to get a 3080, not because I don't believe RDNA2 has an answer to it (I think they have a true competitor to the 3080), but because of the exceptionally short PCB. That's it!

Just a little food for thought: Xbox and PS5 consoles have 2080 ti performance with less than 200W total power (that includes the CPU). And nVidia might be able to dazzle with misleading performance numbers, but 3080 is not 2x performance, its more like 70-80% over the 2080S. The leaks will start pouring out of AMD now that nVidia has made announcements. We only have until next week to get benchmarks for these beasts, and the planned "leaks" from AMD will surely be revealed.

I really trust this guy. He is extremely thorough and logical, and even reported on RTX IO a while ago. Of course AMD desktop GPUs will have something similar; after all, the consoles are already confirmed to have a similar tech!

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
I'm planning to get a 3080, not because I don't believe RDNA2 has an answer to it (I think they have a true competitor to the 3080), but because of the exceptionally short PCB. That's it!

Just a little food for thought: Xbox and PS5 consoles have 2080 ti performance with less than 200W total power (that includes the CPU). And nVidia might be able to dazzle with misleading performance numbers, but 3080 is not 2x performance, its more like 70-80% over the 2080S. The leaks will start pouring out of AMD now that nVidia has made announcements. We only have until next week to get benchmarks for these beasts, and the planned "leaks" from AMD will surely be revealed.

I really trust this guy. He is extremely thorough and logical, and even reported on RTX IO a while ago. Of course AMD desktop GPUs will have something similar; after all, the consoles are already confirmed to have a similar tech!
I am expecting the 80 and 90 to be 40% and 60% better than a 2080TI with around 100% better raytracing.
I have bought a HP Reverb G2 and need 4k ulra 90fps, and with the newer games using more and more Ram I have little confidence the 80 will be enough for more than a year.
Nvidia will release the 20gb 3080TI for just a bit more and every 80 owner will feel screwed just months later.
I've heard Assassins creed Valhalla will come to the ps5 but they target 30fps in 4k. So it's a mixed bag of info right now.
I've seen the specs and they look amazing for a console. You're right AMD might have something. The question is if they will actually release it with it's full potential unlocked.
And the way they are going now does not give me much confidence.
I really want AMD to succeed this year because I want a card with normal power draw hahah! And honestly the 3080TI spec would be the card i want but prob can't get till 2021.
But realistically they will have to announce them before the 24th otherwise I will assume they have nothing.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Dapoktan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 18, 2019
i finally made my build in anticipation for the 3080.. I am using my 980 for now but there was a deal on an open box Asus x570 that I wanted to jump on so here I am w/ a 3700x and a x570 mobo..

I did read that there were some reports of the Asus x570 shipping w/o thermal pads and showing high temps.. my chipset right now is sitting at 65 degrees and went as high as 72 yesterday while play some light League and a 3D mark Firestrike test.. These seem like normal numbers right?

I was trying to go back to find some of the test charts users had posted but I'm afraid those charts are 100 pages away now haha

Arc_Lag

Trash Compacter
Jul 2, 2019
Was kinda disappointed by the fact the host didnt realize that the monoblock wasn't at fault for having higher temps.
The monoblock was also cooling the vrm of the mobo which the alphacool CPU block did not have to do.

Hence the increase in temps. Again, host did not realize it.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Was kinda disappointed by the fact the host didnt realize that the monoblock wasn't at fault for having higher temps.
The monoblock was also cooling the vrm of the mobo which the alphacool CPU block did not have to do.

Hence the increase in temps. Again, host did not realize it.
How much heat does a VRM give off? Can't be more than 15-20 watts unless you're doing extreme overclock. No reason for CPU temps to be that high because of VRM heat.

Arc_Lag

Trash Compacter
Jul 2, 2019
How much heat does a VRM give off? Can't be more than 15-20 watts unless you're doing extreme overclock. No reason for CPU temps to be that high because of VRM heat.
You'd be surprised, here are a few sources:
EKWB
LTT forum
A reddit thread

As you can see, a 100 degrees Celsius isn't exactly nothing. You'd definitely want bigger radiators, pumps and fans in general to use with a monoblock.
Especially since with every next CPU, the voltages and TDPs increase. As a result, the VRMs will work in overdrive to keep up with the CPU's demands. Some mobo manufacturers even add to their VRMs their own dedicated mini fan lately, if that makes sense.

Example:

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
You'd be surprised, here are a few sources:
EKWB
LTT forum
A reddit thread

As you can see, a 100 degrees Celsius isn't exactly nothing. You'd definitely want bigger radiators, pumps and fans in general to use with a monoblock.
Especially since with every next CPU, the voltages and TDPs increase. As a result, the VRMs will work in overdrive to keep up with the CPU's demands. Some mobo manufacturers even add to their VRMs their own dedicated mini fan lately, if that makes sense.

Example:

Well watts of waste heat and temperature are 2 very different things. You can add 10 watts of heat to a small block of metal and get it very hot. To maintain temperature,the cooling solution need only remove 10 watts of heat in that scenario. If the cooling solution only removes 5 watts? Well then your temperatures will climb.

This is how much heat a VRM gives off:
Don't trust a random guy on reddit? Here is a buildzoid video (jump to ~10mins)
Again, temperature is a measure of energy at a given time, a snapshot if you will. Watts is a unit of power which is energy over time. You absolutely cannot compare the two. It's like saying "look at how much water is in this glass, it must've been filled up very fast!" when it very well could be a slow trickle over a long time.

I think the real reason for the high CPU temps is poor contact/pressure. Either the monoblock was machined wrong or the thermal pads should be thinner or both.