Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

vusun123

Average Stuffer
Jul 10, 2020
Guys I don't get why the OP says 240mm RAD is not officially supported, but then right below say "when 120% is not enough, 240%."

What is the current stance of 240mm, both by the community and by the manufacturer?
Unofficial doesn’t mean you can’t do it. Most people here go full custom watercooling/use AIO with 240mm radiator

vusun123

Average Stuffer
Jul 10, 2020
no offense, but did you read a few pages of this thread?
There are some caveats to make a 240 rad fit (or rather just a few rads will fit out of the box), but it's not officially supported.

well, does it work? yes. I'm not sure I'm following.
Take a bracket and screw it in if you feel like it, this is a mod after all^^
I met him in person and yes, it works that way. The cheapo way

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Gotcha. Would the EK-AIO 240 be a wise plug and play choice for a 3900x? Or 120mm AIO still better option? I really don't want to mess with modding.
The EK 240 is a decent choice for this case. It fits in both 3 slot and 2 slot configurations, and can fit with two slim 120mm fans. If the radiator end caps end up being 120mm wide or less, you can push the radiator to the very front of the case and use one slim 120mm fan and a full sized 120mm fan to give you better performance. If the end caps are greater than 120mm wide, then you can sand them down to make them fit, but this will most likely void your warranty.

Another 240mm AIO option is the Corsair H100i Pro XT, which allows for one slim fan and one full sized fan. Thing is, it can be slightly too thick, which means when you put the top panel on, it pushes the radiator down, and thus pushes the fan below the radiator into the motherboard, preventing it from spinning. This can be fixed by using washers though.

120mm AIOs are usually the best all around option, as they give you the best balance of GPU and CPU thermals. With a 240mm radiator, the GPU temps will be warmer because you don't have a dedicated fan exhausting it's hot air like you would if you run a 120mm radiator. 120mm AIOs are also the most compatible, as this case was made to accommodate most 120mm radiators.

Since you are using a 3900x, I would go with a 240mm radiator and a 2.5 slot or greater GPU.

If you want to look more into this, you can look at my posts on reddit and go through all the comments where I answer questions and give more detail into the builds. This one is the one I am currently using with the Corsair H100i Pro XT, and this one is the one I was using with a 120mm AIO.

Last edited:

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I don't remember the few people that were asking about this, but for those who were/are concerned with the L12S's only possible orientation in the T1 being the one Noctua recommends against... this is for you.

I knew this wasn't really a thing, but I wanted to test it to put this to bed for future builders. I flipped my case to see the difference in CPU cooling, and during a multi-hour gaming session, my CPU was a whopping 1 degree Celsius warmer oriented the way Noctua recommends against. I also found that my GPU was 5-6 degrees Celsius warmer with the fans exhausting out the bottom vs the top. No THAT on the other hand is a sizable difference that people should be concerned with.

Hopefully this helps alleviate the concerns of our seemingly few air cooling builders moving forward. :)

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
@fabio
I tried searching for it but couldn’t find it. Can you provide the dimensions of your DDC + top when installed together? I’m trying to see what other locations that it can be mounted in.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I don't remember the few people that were asking about this, but for those who were/are concerned with the L12S's only possible orientation in the T1 being the one Noctua recommends against... this is for you.

I knew this wasn't really a thing, but I wanted to test it to put this to bed for future builders. I flipped my case to see the difference in CPU cooling, and during a multi-hour gaming session, my CPU was a whopping 1 degree Celsius warmer oriented the way Noctua recommends against. I also found that my GPU was 5-6 degrees Celsius warmer with the fans exhausting out the bottom vs the top. No THAT on the other hand is a sizable difference that people should be concerned with.

Hopefully this helps alleviate the concerns of our seemingly few air cooling builders moving forward. :)
Did you by any chance test the fans in the bottom as intake?

Reactions: DrHudacris

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Did you by any chance test the fans in the bottom as intake?
I didn’t, but I should have now that I’m thinking about it lol. I imagine it would’ve still heat-soaked, but differently than with the recycled hot air from the exhaust setup. My guess would be that it would still be a degree or so higher as intake, but there’s nothing scientific to that guess aside from previous builds in the Ghost S1 I had before I got the T1.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
@fabio I think I have come up with a configuration you haven’t tried.

Requires a bit of surgery though.....

And a bit of knuckle scraping.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I didn’t, but I should have now that I’m thinking about it lol. I imagine it would’ve still heat-soaked, but differently than with the recycled hot air from the exhaust setup. My guess would be that it would still be a degree or so higher as intake, but there’s nothing scientific to that guess aside from previous builds in the Ghost S1 I had before I got the T1.
I would’ve thought fans in the bottom as intake would fare better, but my sff experience is not that ample. I think I’m gonna give it a try in the coming weeks.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
Hi, everyone! Please advise if Gunmetal T1 - is the dark grey with black grid? Correct? Unfortunately there is no image of it available on the official webside.
Yes, gunmetal is the dark grey in the sample photos. I assume it will come with the black mesh, just as in the samples.

Edit: Apologies for not combining the two previous replies in one message.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I would’ve thought fans in the bottom as intake would fare better, but my sff experience is not that ample. I think I’m gonna give it a try in the coming weeks.
The reason intake doesn’t work as well as exhaust is b/c exhaust indirectly acts as intake for the side panels. It causes negative pressure and assists the GPU and CPU intake fans. Intake on the bottom just pulls more air into the case to be trapped without a way to exhaust it out... if that makes sense. If the case was higher off the desk (if I recall, 15mm from the desk to the fans is the optimal distance for airflow), flipped orientation wouldn’t be as superior as it is. A case this size would look odd lifted off the desk anymore than it is, though. Ahh SFF is so fun to optimize!