Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

bynio

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2020
The IO shield issue prevents L12S from being installed on the ASUS mobo in horizontal heat pipe orientation (bend to rear).
Workaround by reddit user u/catesnake: imgur.com/gallery/yM50rhD

L12S and T1 case compatibility is a separate thing, caused by multiple factors: L12S size, CPU socket placements on different mobos, and T1 side beam location.
The MB side beam overhangs the mobo edge section where you find CPU 8pin connector and fan headers. Reducing the airspace limit of this section to about 65mm in 2 slot GPU mode.
For AM4 mobos, with T1 flipped (fans on top), L12S in horizontal or pointing up (bend to pcie) orientations won't fit because the fins, which requries 70mm clearance, also overhangs that section.

If you are ok with not installing the MB side beam, there is a workaround.
www.reddit.com/r/FormD/comments/iaccvo/my_solution_for_having_the_nhl12s_in_the_right/

In order to have both the MB side beam installed and L12S fit in horizontal orientation, the MB side beam needs to have the option to be moved up. My rough estimate is ~16mm+ to cover all current AM4 mobos. However that isn't a simple change.
The bracket for mobo standoff and riser holder is currently coupled to the GPU side beam for structure rigidity. The GPU side beam has to remain where it is. If it moves up in sync with the MB side beam then the clearance issue will still be there. Now you have the two side beams positioned asymetrically and that will have flow on impact to case fan mounting.

Personally, in the beginning, I wanted to do an optimal full air cooled build in T1 using L12S. Given that 2 slot high end GPU is almost non-existent, I've accepted 3 slot mode and I will use AIO to cool the CPU.
There's also an option to bend heat pipes like for Ghost S1. In Aorus x570 it barely but fits under side beam horizontally.

Reactions: DrHudacris

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
been out of commission for the last week+, but if anyone was wondering how big (gpu) air 2020 was going-

1080ti lightning heatsink does appear to be the largest possible universal-ish nvidia heatsink that fits in the t1. the actual heatsink itself is ~287mm (incl heatpipes at end) x (~119 @ widest/~111 @ not) x 36.6 (incl 1mm-thick mounting bracket) and weighs in at around 800g, so it's a monster. back of pcb to edge of heatsink is around 41mm (so 40mm if you can remove the mounting bracket), giving you 18-19mm to play with between the heatsink and side panel.

slim 120mm noctua is a confirmed fit, and so now my hope is that they release the slim 140mm noctua fan in my lifetime so i that i can use it for both airflow and as a means of supporting the weight of the cooler (as there's about 140mm between the top edge of the heatsink and the bottom panel). i'm not entirely optimistic that will happen though, so i may opt to commit a war crime and break 25mm-thick 140mm/120mm fans out of their frame and mount them directly on the heatsink if i can find a way for them to work/support the weight of it all. (alternatively, the 980ti lightning heatsink appears to be the largest universal-ish nvidia heatsink that will support 25mm-thick fans without modification, so i may also try that if the price is right.)

temp testing (on evga 2070 xc ultra) is still very much a wip. initial testing using the stock lightning fans resulted in idle temps being down 10-11c to ~27c (basically ambient air temp) with them running at ~600rpm. and then full load it takes things over a minute to heat up to 50c, where the temps eventually wind up a couple degrees below where they were previously with the 2070 heatsink + 92x25mm noctua fans after fans ramp up to full speed (a disgustingly-loud 3200 rpm). the temp was basically locked in where the fans fully spun up though (55c), so i pulled the fan curve down to max out at 45c and re-tested, and temps maxed out around the spin-up speed there as well (topping out at 47c). also tried to adjust the curve to ramp up at 40c, but it also wound up 47c in the end (45/46/47 seems to be a boost/throttle temp on the card, as it attempts a short-burst boost every few seconds there, hitting the max temp and then throttling back).

so load temps can be down as much as ~12c over my previous cooler configuration (tho just realized im using cheap thermal paste on this, so maybe more) while also sustaining a higher core clock the entire time. given how beefy the xc ultra heatsink is, as well as recognizing that a morpheus ii + 120x25mm fans produces similar temps on ~200w cards, i'd say i'm pretty impressed so far.

/wall

Last edited:

khayoz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 1, 2020
I preordered the case a few weeks ago and super excited to get building. I've heard some mixed comments around the compatibility of the Gigabyte B550I motherboard, which I'm planning to get. I think it may be based on different revisions/riser cables. Can someone confirm the compatibility of the motherboard with the newest iteration of the case and riser? i.e any bowing, pinching, etc. Thank you!

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
That's on the motherboard vendors, has less to do with the case.

The rear I/O shield hitting the heat pipe on L12S is the problem that should be fixed. Other solutions are bandaids to a gun wound.

So I don't plan to make changes to the case - I already told ROG and Noctua to work it out.

@Wahaha360 This got me thinking... is there any estimate for when the next iteration of the T1 will come out? I imagine I/O shield hitting the heat pipe on L12S will be solved altogether with new pcie 4.0 riser cable so is there any estimate, maybe Q1 2021?

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
@Wahaha360 This got me thinking... is there any estimate for when the next iteration of the T1 will come out? I imagine I/O shield hitting the heat pipe on L12S will be solved altogether with new pcie 4.0 riser cable so is there any estimate, maybe Q1 2021?
He's said in the past that creating new tooling for a new iteration of the case is expensive, so I doubt we will see any new revision any time soon or anytime in the first half of next year

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Does the FormD T1 Friday Order charge on order or on shipment? Seems it's on order. Oof.

Are there any plans to allow voting for the eventual E-White Mesh panels? (See Below)

Last edited:

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Does the FormD T1 Friday Order charge on order or on shipment? Seems it's on order. Oof.

Are there any plans to allow voting for the eventual E-White Mesh panels? (See Below)

I doubt it, this isn't a Kickstarter and Wahaha360 has his hands full. I will ask him though

simkev

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2020
Does anybody know the internal measurement from the bottom panel to the underside of the GPU? Not the PCI bracket but the back portion of the card. Trying to figure out how thick of a 120mm radiator and fan combo you could fit if you were to modify the PSU to have the power cord exit on the side instead of the bottom in a reversed mounting position utilizing a radiator that would go all the way up to the graphics card PCB.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Does anybody know the internal measurement from the bottom panel to the underside of the GPU? Not the PCI bracket but the back portion of the card. Trying to figure out how thick of a 120mm radiator and fan combo you could fit if you were to modify the PSU to have the power cord exit on the side instead of the bottom in a reversed mounting position utilizing a radiator that would go all the way up to the graphics card PCB.

You are way over thinking this. You need to hold the case to see how the wires bend and where they all fit. I used to be a pipe fitter and the one thing I took away from that job is blueprints are nice and all but don't represent what's actually going on.

You want a ek SE classic which is 27 mm thick (give or take a mm or two) and a 15 mm thick fan. Fabio has had the case since late March and has a build log which covers a couple of configurations and testing.

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
it's about 80mm to the pcb. usually the limiting factor here typically isn't the distance to pcb though, but either the distance to the heatsink on the gpu (as it's usually 1-2mm wider than the pcb on the connector side), or the distance to psu (depending on how you rotate/mount it).

in my case, you have about 78mm to play with between the psu and the top panel-

keep in mind that the closer you get your intake fan to the psu, the dirtier (warmer) that intake air is going to be.

simkev

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2020
it's about 80mm to the pcb. usually the limiting factor here typically isn't the distance to pcb though, but either the distance to the heatsink on the gpu (as it's usually 1-2mm wider than the pcb on the connector side), or the distance to psu (depending on how you rotate/mount it).

in my case, you have about 78mm to play with between the psu and the top panel-

keep in mind that the closer you get your intake fan to the psu, the dirtier (warmer) that intake air is going to be.
Thank you, very helpful indeed.
I must however ask, how come that you chose to mount the PSU with the fan facing the back off the GPU instead of the other way around allowing the PSU to get fresh air from the side panel?

simkev

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2020
Hi, still looking into the different CPU cooling options... How did this guy get the Liquid Freezer 240 (38mm radiator) to fit? Isn't the limit 27mm?
The 27mm limit is if you want to fit a 15mm fan between the radiator and motherboard, as you can tell from your attached picture there is only one fan mounted in the position where you can fit (as recently posted in this thread, thanks @notbitcoin BTW) a total radiator and fan combined thickness of about 80mm depending on the heatsink on the GPU.

jad_tv

Caliper Novice
Dec 27, 2016
Ohh, I see... so an H80i v2 should fit (49 mm radiator + 25mm fan)? I'm a bit worried about pump noise so I've been looking for a 120mm AIO with controllable pump speed for use in 3-slot mode.
Thanks!

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
The 27mm limit is if you want to fit a 15mm fan between the radiator and motherboard, as you can tell from your attached picture there is only one fan mounted in the position where you can fit (as recently posted in this thread, thanks @notbitcoin BTW) a total radiator and fan combined thickness of about 80mm depending on the heatsink on the GPU.
There is a problem with that though, you would have to mount the radiator and fan to the top panel, because the included mounting bracket will not support that kind of configuration. Also, you'd have to be mindful of the end caps on the radiator interfering with the motherboard

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Ohh, I see... so an H80i v2 should fit (49 mm radiator + 25mm fan)? I'm a bit worried about pump noise so I've been looking for a 120mm AIO with controllable pump speed for use in 3-slot mode.
Thanks!
it could potentially fit, but see above. You'd have to mount it to the top panel to make it fit