Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The Aquanaut fits very nicely into the T1. I'm currently bleeding the loop but I definitely prefer it to the Apogee.

I think I might be able to get it to work in the GPU 3 slot mode...
I'm gonna test it in 3 slot mode tonight and tomorrow, just dry testing because I don't have all the stuff with me physically. If it's too tall then Fr33flow is my only hope ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerold and Goatee

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
That's on the motherboard vendors, has less to do with the case.

The rear I/O shield hitting the heat pipe on L12S is the problem that should be fixed. Other solutions are bandaids to a gun wound.

So I don't plan to make changes to the case - I already told ROG and Noctua to work it out.

ah thanks. I thought it was a design flaw, good to know there might be future motherboards that probably won't have this problem

dehedehe

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 13, 2019
ah thanks. I thought it was a design flaw, good to know there might be future motherboards that probably won't have this problem

The IO shield issue prevents L12S from being installed on the ASUS mobo in horizontal heat pipe orientation (bend to rear).
Workaround by reddit user u/catesnake: imgur.com/gallery/yM50rhD

L12S and T1 case compatibility is a separate thing, caused by multiple factors: L12S size, CPU socket placements on different mobos, and T1 side beam location.
The MB side beam overhangs the mobo edge section where you find CPU 8pin connector and fan headers. Reducing the airspace limit of this section to about 65mm in 2 slot GPU mode.
For AM4 mobos, with T1 flipped (fans on top), L12S in horizontal or pointing up (bend to pcie) orientations won't fit because the fins, which requries 70mm clearance, also overhangs that section.

If you are ok with not installing the MB side beam, there is a workaround.
www.reddit.com/r/FormD/comments/iaccvo/my_solution_for_having_the_nhl12s_in_the_right/

In order to have both the MB side beam installed and L12S fit in horizontal orientation, the MB side beam needs to have the option to be moved up. My rough estimate is ~16mm+ to cover all current AM4 mobos. However that isn't a simple change.
The bracket for mobo standoff and riser holder is currently coupled to the GPU side beam for structure rigidity. The GPU side beam has to remain where it is. If it moves up in sync with the MB side beam then the clearance issue will still be there. Now you have the two side beams positioned asymetrically and that will have flow on impact to case fan mounting.

Personally, in the beginning, I wanted to do an optimal full air cooled build in T1 using L12S. Given that 2 slot high end GPU is almost non-existent, I've accepted 3 slot mode and I will use AIO to cool the CPU.

Reactions: Merry Monkey

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
The IO shield issue prevents L12S from being installed on the ASUS mobo in horizontal heat pipe orientation (bend to rear).
Workaround by reddit user u/catesnake: imgur.com/gallery/yM50rhD

L12S and T1 case compatibility is a separate thing, caused by multiple factors: L12S size, CPU socket placements on different mobos, and T1 side beam location.
The MB side beam overhangs the mobo edge section where you find CPU 8pin connector and fan headers. Reducing the airspace limit of this section to about 65mm in 2 slot GPU mode.
For AM4 mobos, with T1 flipped (fans on top), L12S in horizontal or pointing up (bend to pcie) orientations won't fit because the fins, which requries 70mm clearance, also overhangs that section.

If you are ok with not installing the MB side beam, there is a workaround.
www.reddit.com/r/FormD/comments/iaccvo/my_solution_for_having_the_nhl12s_in_the_right/

In order to have both the MB side beam installed and L12S fit in horizontal orientation, the MB side beam needs to have the option to be moved up. My rough estimate is ~16mm+ to cover all current AM4 mobos. However that isn't a simple change.
The bracket for mobo standoff and riser holder is currently coupled to the GPU side beam for structure rigidity. The GPU side beam has to remain where it is. If it moves up in sync with the MB side beam then the clearance issue will still be there. Now you have the two side beams positioned asymetrically and that will have flow on impact to case fan mounting.

Personally, in the beginning, I wanted to do an optimal full air cooled build in T1 using L12S. Given that 2 slot high end GPU is almost non-existent, I've accepted 3 slot mode and I will use AIO to cool the CPU.

Thanks. I too want to get over these issues and use an AIO instead, but I will be moving around hopefully next year and AIO + air travel might be a problem

Ashenfall

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks. I too want to get over these issues and use an AIO instead, but I will be moving around hopefully next year and AIO + air travel might be a problem
lots of people have discussed AIO air travel concerns in the subreddit and plenty of people have reported no problems

That said...I can't remember if those who said no problems were travelling within US only. Internationally might be a different story

same with me. Wanted air cooled build, post Ampere launch had to change my plans and go AIO

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
To be honest, I’m a little worried about the 3080 GPU exhaust limiting the radiator effectiveness.
Why would you be? It would be just like any other air cooled GPU exhausting the hot air into the case and then the radiator.
If anything the FE design is better for the radiator as some of the heat is exhausted out the back of the card, instead of all of the heat from the GPU going into the case and radiator like the more common AIB coolers.

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
lots of people have discussed AIO air travel concerns in the subreddit and plenty of people have reported no problems

That said...I can't remember if those who said no problems were travelling within US only. Internationally might be a different story

I'm not from the US. I only need one person saying he couldn't travel with an AIO for AIO to become a concern to me.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not from the US. I only need one person saying he couldn't travel with an AIO for AIO to become a concern to me.
I think Wahaha has traveled from the US to China with his T1 and an AIO, so you should be fine. If it's in a closed loop, then there isn't a whole lot they can do.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Why would you be? It would be just like any other air cooled GPU exhausting the hot air into the case and then the radiator.
If anything the FE design is better for the radiator as some of the heat is exhausted out the back of the card, instead of all of the heat from the GPU going into the case and radiator like the more common AIB coolers.
All the testing I've seen indicates the fan on the pcie side exhausts a great deal of air straight out the back, like a much better version of a blower card and that concerns of the rear fan choking off other components is greatly exaggerated. I don't think the FE will have much trouble in a T1 that has good exhaust set up.

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
I think Wahaha has traveled from the US to China with his T1 and an AIO, so you should be fine. If it's in a closed loop, then there isn't a whole lot they can do.

Some people reported having issues. I remember one guy traveling from Europe had to call a relative to come pick his SFF because they wouldn't let him board with an AIO in it. And you can't carry on tools either so you can't improvise and disassemble the case if this happens.

Since I only plan to build with ryzen x600 noctua nh-l12s should be able to handle it good enough, no need to run risks

Reactions: DrHudacris

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Some people reported having issues. I remember one guy traveling from Europe had to call a relative to come pick his SFF because they wouldn't let him board with an AIO in it. And you can't carry on tools either so you can't improvise and disassemble the case if this happens.

Since I only plan to build with ryzen x600 noctua nh-l12s should be able to handle it good enough, no need to run risks

but can you just drain liquid ?
and maybe telling nothing about your computer ?
that is very important aspect how to go around their regulations.

Last edited:

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
Yeah I thought of that but going around draining a custom loop for a ryzen 4600/5600 seems too much trouble. This is something I might be more interested in doing once I upgrade to ryzen 7 and with a freeflo or aquanaut pump in the future, I don't quite trust alphacool dc-lt

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
but can you just drain liquid ?
and maybe telling nothing about your computer ?
that is very important aspect how to go around their regulations.

You can't drain the liquid from an AIO, it is a closed loop. If you open it, you're most likely going to destroy it.
And not telling them about the computer is an option, but if they know what the AIO is, then you might not be in a good spot.

Paul_the_Octopus

Trash Compacter
Apr 17, 2020
Anyone knows how long it takes for the formd team to correct/update a shipping address? I've sent them a mail with the updated shipping address, but i haven't heard from them yet.

max31092

Average Stuffer
Mar 1, 2020
Took them 10h for my adress. But ther'll be variation according to when you wrote the message. By the way I just used the contact-formular.

Paul_the_Octopus

Trash Compacter
Apr 17, 2020
Took them 10h for my adress. But ther'll be variation according to when you wrote the message. By the way I just used the contact-formular.
Thanks. Contacted them about 10 h ago, and I've use both the contact form and email, I guess i just have to wait a bit more. Were you notified when they updated your address?