Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
Perhaps we can extrapolate potential air temp from a report that the back panel behind flow through fan on NZXT H1 with RTX 3080 was >55 DegC.

Link starts at the point where the reviewer speaks about it. I'm guessing that the gap on the NZXT is ~5mm. The gap on the T1 would be almost 4x that @ 19mm. That should be plenty of room to move the exhaust air coming from GPU front pass-through fan when using case top fans.

ghostfish

Efficiency Noob
Aug 13, 2019
Yeah, I think it's safe to assume you'll see air exhaust temps up to 60C out of the flow through fan. I don't think there will be any issues exhausting that through a top mounted 25mm fan that's quieter than the fans on the GPU itself. What I would be a little concerned about is blowing 60C air on the back panel of the PSU. The SF750 uses the case for heat dissipation, particularly during zero RPM mode, so getting the case toasty may make the fan run (much) more often.

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
Did a little more digging and found a spot on JayTwoCents's review where he talks about the air coming out of the pass-through side and describes it as 'warmish.' Assuming he had his hand/finger right up to it, i'm thinking that it is much less than 60DegC. At 60DegC, we're talking hot air gun and blow dryer temps. For him to term it as 'warmish' likely means that the temps are in the ~30DegC range. He goes on to describe it as somewhat above ambient.

Link set to where he speaks about it.

All of which makes one wonder how the steel back panel got to 55DgeC with only ~30DegC air hitting it.

Reactions: rfarmer

TSOF

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2020
I'm looking at the teardown of the 3080 and it looks like the backplate will be required since VRMs are found on the back of the PCB.

With that said, I had issues installing my R9 290x and 295x2 in the T1 (2 slot mode) with the backplate on (EKWB). The backplate on the 3080 FE seems a little thicker too. I'm getting worried that the card won't fit.

Thoughts?
I can’t check right now, but there should be space to put a washer between the riser and mounting bracket to give a little more space between the mobo and GPU.

stanleyguan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 18, 2020
Did a little more digging and found a spot on JayTwoCents's review where he talks about the air coming out of the pass-through side and describes it as 'warmish.' Assuming he had his hand/finger right up to it, i'm thinking that it is much less than 60DegC. At 60DegC, we're talking hot air gun and blow dryer temps. For him to term it as 'warmish' likely means that the temps are in the ~30DegC range. He goes on to describe it as somewhat above ambient.

All of which makes one wonder how the steel back panel got to 55DgeC with only ~30DegC air hitting it.

It would at least partially be explained by the fact that when inside H1, the GPU is hotter, and so is the heatsink and the exhaust air. The temperature inside the case is also significantly hotter than ambient, meaning that the intake air for the fan is hotter, further increasing exhaust air temp.

Reactions: DmanX

BSartist

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2020

It will be a combination of recirculated air (so the card is in-taking air that is well above ambient) and the card heating up as it is unable to properly dissipate heat which exacerbates the output temperature.

ghostfish

Efficiency Noob
Aug 13, 2019
Also if the fan is blocked by a panel that's nearly touching it then there's less airflow, so the air that is getting through gets hotter because it's in contact with the fins longer.

BSartist

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2020
In the air vs. water cooling discussion for the CPU, how much do we think a radiator (120mm and 240mm) is going to affect the RTX 3080 cooling (exhaust).

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
big air, you guys say? well, i wouldn't want to be left out of this tinkering trend, so i took a look at the gpu side of things trying to find the largest "universal" nvidia cooler that would fit in the t1 and...

...so close, yet so far. msi 1080ti lightning cooler resting on an evga 2070 xc ultra is about 2-3mm too long unfortunately (tip of the heatpipes hit the front panel vertical bar). was already going to have to do some work to make the mounting work (due to different hole spacing), but now i might have to do unspeakable things to the t1 to make the cooler fit if i want to roll with it long-term. will play around with it more later and see where things lead.

unrelated, but one thing i'd like to recommend to anyone who is experiencing a DC-LT 2600 that is noticeably audible is to just outright replace the thing. mine was getting really bad (and i had to run it at at least 60% to avoid a horrible chugging/rattling sound), but i replaced it last week and now full speed (with the lt solo top off) is no more audible than the 120mm x 15mm noctua at 1000rpm. 100/10, would recommend, now here's to hoping the new model is even better (and with real qc behind it).

Last edited:

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
Yeah, I think it's safe to assume you'll see air exhaust temps up to 60C out of the flow through fan. I don't think there will be any issues exhausting that through a top mounted 25mm fan that's quieter than the fans on the GPU itself. What I would be a little concerned about is blowing 60C air on the back panel of the PSU. The SF750 uses the case for heat dissipation, particularly during zero RPM mode, so getting the case toasty may make the fan run (much) more often.
To try and protect the PSU from excessive heat due to the 3080, I was thinking of using heat reflective tape.

Heat Reflective Tape

This is the same stuff I've used in my turbo car to reduce heat soak on my top mount intercooler.

While the PSU still absorb heat over time, the tape SHOULD reduce the amount of overall heat absorbed and will give the top mount fans of the case a chance to pull the reflected heat out of the case.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
big air, you guys say? well, i wouldn't want to be left out of this tinkering trend, so i took a look at the gpu side of things trying to find the largest "universal" nvidia cooler that would fit in the t1 and...

...so close, yet so far. msi 1080ti lightning cooler resting on an evga 2070 xc ultra is about 2-3mm too long unfortunately (tip of the heatpipes hit the front panel vertical bar). was already going to have to do some work to make the mounting work (due to different hole spacing), but now i might have to do unspeakable things to the t1 to make the cooler fit if i want to roll with it long-term. will play around with it more later and see where things lead.

unrelated, but one thing i'd like to recommend to anyone who is experiencing a DC-LT 2600 that is noticeably audible is to just outright replace the thing. mine was getting really bad (and i had to run it at at least 60% to avoid a horrible chugging/rattling sound), but i replaced it last week and now full speed (with the lt solo top off) is no more audible than the 120mm x 15mm noctua at 1000rpm. 100/10, would recommend, now here's to hoping the new model is even better (and with real qc behind it).

What do you mean by "universal"? I noticed from PCB shots that the mounting holes on the FE card is rectangular. Can you confirm? I've always though most GPU HSF mounting was square (very few exceptions)

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
In the air vs. water cooling discussion for the CPU, how much do we think a radiator (120mm and 240mm) is going to affect the RTX 3080 cooling (exhaust).
Either way, there will be radiator above where the 30xx cooler will be exhausting hot air, so I would expect a 120mm and 240mm radiator to affect FE GPU temps about the same, with the 120mm rad having slightly better temps.
AIB cards on the other hand, refer to my previous postings where I saw a 5c increase in GPU temps going from a 120mm AIO to a 240mm AIO.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Either way, there will be radiator above where the 30xx cooler will be exhausting hot air, so I would expect a 120mm and 240mm radiator to affect FE GPU temps about the same, with the 120mm rad having slightly better temps.
AIB cards on the other hand, refer to my previous postings where I saw a 5c increase in GPU temps going from a 120mm AIO to a 240mm AIO.

I think with an FE a 120 and 240 will be exactly the same, because the back fan is a "blower" exhausting straight out the back, the exhaust case fan above it will make little to no difference. I think a 240 would be perfect!

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
What do you mean by "universal"? I noticed from PCB shots that the mounting holes on the FE card is rectangular. Can you confirm? I've always though most GPU HSF mounting was square (very few exceptions)
universal just meaning there's no tailored cut-outs for the power connectors or hardware/fins for specific vrm/ram placement that would cause compatibility issues down the road (so similar to an accelero or morpheus in composition, but tighter clearances). i wanted something that i could potentially carry with me from gpu to gpu, and i think aside from the 2080 ti lightning cooler (which is definitively too long for the t1), and possibly some inbound 3000-series coolers (which will likely be impossible to buy separately for months/years), this appeared to be the best option. we'll have to see if i can make it fit though.

in terms of mounting holes- if you mean the 3080/3090 FE cards, then yeah those are rectangular. i'm probably not going to be relying on the mounting posts at all though, so as long as there is space for the heatsink's plate on whatever card i use, then i'm good to go (at least until the vrm/chokes surrounding the socket becomes a full-blown trend).

Reactions: DrHudacris

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
universal just meaning there's no tailored cut-outs for the power connectors or hardware/fins for specific vrm/ram placement that would cause compatibility issues down the road (so similar to an accelero or morpheus in composition, but tighter clearances). i wanted something that i could potentially carry with me from gpu to gpu, and i think aside from the 2080 ti lightning cooler (which is definitively too long for the t1), and possibly some inbound 3000-series coolers (which will likely be impossible to buy separately for months/years), this appeared to be the best option. we'll have to see if i can make it fit though.

in terms of mounting holes- if you mean the 3080/3090 FE cards, then yeah those are rectangular. i'm probably not going to be relying on the mounting posts at all though, so as long as there is space for the heatsink's plate on whatever card i use, then i'm good to go (at least until the vrm/chokes surrounding the socket becomes a full-blown trend).
Huh...I actually didn't know that some GPU heatsinks were universal in that way. I assumed most were limited to similar PCBs cards only. TIL.

Are you aware of any other cards' heatsinks that are like that?

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
At this point I am more into buying EVGA or ASUS for 3080 so I won't have to deal with this design challenge. Even more I can always deshroud them (would wait for GN teardown btw) and slap some noctua fans over it, which I can't do on the Nvidia card

notbitcoin

Average Stuffer
Aug 3, 2019
Huh...I actually didn't know that some GPU heatsinks were universal in that way. I assumed most were limited to similar PCBs cards only. TIL.

Are you aware of any other cards' heatsinks that are like that?
well, i only really looked at the x080 ti cards (so there might've been some 2080 supers with comparable coolers since they came out later), and didn't bother to check on amd at all. taking that into account, i think some of the asus 2080 ti / 1080 ti cards had heatsinks that were close-ish (they just have some fins that extend downward towards the traditional VRM location, which i imagine can be snipped if they cause clearance issues), but pretty much all of the western market cards i looked at had either a coldplate for the ram/vrm, or had a cutout around a specific place for the power connectors.

i found the lightning cooler on taobao for around 50 bucks, which was cheap/easy enough for me to give it a try. and then the same seller also has a bunch of other previous-gen aib coolers available as well (though you can't view/purchase a lot of the western brands directly if you have your primary shipping location as USA).

BSartist

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2020
I think with an FE a 120 and 240 will be exactly the same, because the back fan is a "blower" exhausting straight out the back, the exhaust case fan above it will make little to no difference. I think a 240 would be perfect!
The logic makes sense. You could argue that the FE cooler will result in less heat (< half?) exhausting into the case and should perform better than an AIB card regardless of CPU cooler / case fan configuration.

I guess in any case, I'm going to be deciding between a 240mm radiator vs. an L12S with two A12x25 exhaust fans.

ten13th

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2020
At this point I am more into buying EVGA or ASUS for 3080 so I won't have to deal with this design challenge. Even more I can always deshroud them (would wait for GN teardown btw) and slap some noctua fans over it, which I can't do on the Nvidia card
Here you go. More useful info on airflow in this video than his thermal video.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

SSJ4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2020
www.ospreygaming.com.au
Perhaps we can extrapolate potential air temp from a report that the back panel behind flow through fan on NZXT H1 with RTX 3080 was >55 DegC.

Link starts at the point where the reviewer speaks about it. I'm guessing that the gap on the NZXT is ~5mm. The gap on the T1 would be almost 4x that @ 19mm. That should be plenty of room to move the exhaust air coming from GPU front pass-through fan when using case top fans.
That is pretty interesting.

Pushing 87c in the H1.

I know its not a very good comparison. But Optimum Techs video on the H1 with a evga 1080ti shows a 7-8c difference between the T1 and H1. Thats with a more traditional card.

In the H1 the 3080 FE is completely choked. While the T1 there is a gap and fan above it to pull out air. I'd guess there would be a 10c difference between the T1 and H1. Based on OT's video with a regular graphics card and the fact that the 3080 FE literally cant exhaust in the H1.

So my guess. We would be looking at high 70's for the FE in the T1.

****EDIT***

Hmmmmmmm maybe I am still being optimistic. Pauls Hardware review has the card at 80c on an open test bench...

Last edited:
Reactions: DmanX