Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Oh boy am I looking forward to this. Already following the FreeFlo, and now you're doing mobos? You sure know how to grab one's attention and wallets lmao. Fingers crossed the boards are going to support AM4!

Are you allowed to disclose which socket the mobo targets? :D

It's not finalized, it's more expensive, it's easily 7 figures investment, or maybe 8, depending on PCIe 4.0 and DDR5.

Obviously I can't eat this cost, so it takes corporate massaging to make it happen.

Last edited:

chenchen

Case Bender
New User
Jun 29, 2020
Shipping from mainland to Taiwan only works reliably via SF-Express. However, we will need to collect your Govt ID to ship.

It kinds makes me uncomfortable, but we also don't know how to add this "input field" into shipping form on Shopify, so we are tweaking.

If you have good suggestion on alternative shipping carriers or way to integrate into Shopify shipping forms, we are open to try.

My experience buying something from Taobao. It is no impact for sellers, EZWAY certification is required to purchase foreign goods in Taiwan So all buyers should apply EZWAY

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I don't think anyone needs to worry about not meeting the cut off for early followers. I don't think this blocks anyone from pre-ordering from the weekly drops. My interpretation of @Wahaha360's comment was that there would some sort of additional stock set aside in addition to the pre orders. Or something like priority/first dibs on accessories or something of that nature. As long as you're quick on the mouse trigger, everyone will eventually get a case!

Chaca

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2020
lt240 aurora (previously just "summer 2020"), is more specifically expected (NOT confirmed) mid/end July :thumb: Hopefully more availability than the present lt240.
(source: alphacool DMs)

Does anyone here have an idea if it's mainly cosmetic and quick-disconnect changes, or if we have confirmation of something more with the aurora version?

Reactions: DrHudacris and JRey

Ashenfall

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2020
I don't think anyone needs to worry about not meeting the cut off for early followers. I don't think this blocks anyone from pre-ordering from the weekly drops. My interpretation of @Wahaha360's comment was that there would some sort of additional stock set aside in addition to the pre orders. Or something like priority/first dibs on accessories or something of that nature. As long as you're quick on the mouse trigger, everyone will eventually get a case!

I agree with this

I did a really rough calculation using some *fairly wild* assumptions. Take this with a big grain (rock?) of salt

Assuming 50 cases in total (colour doesn't matter) were sold last Friday based off who I saw posting their successful orders, extrapolating for those who didn't gloat, and also accounting for those who ordered multiple cases in the one order. In all honesty this number is probably bigger in reality, but we're assuming here.

There's an order every week, and they will have more cases available than last Friday. Let's say 100 cases every order moving forward because I like round numbers

There are 25 Fridays remaining in 2020. Manufacturing is confirmed to be continuous throughout 2020

That means there are potentially 25x100=2500 cases that will be available until the end of the year

There are 1400 unique subscribers to r/FormD

Based on my really wild assumptions, I'm fairly certain everyone can get their hands on a case (colour preferences notwithstanding)

carrefinho

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2020
What are the best case fans for the T1?

Right now, I have 2 Noctua NF-F12s (case) and a Scythe Slipstream Slim (CPU) from my existing build. I can upgrade to a 25mm fan for my CPU because of the higher clearances on the T1, and I'm also looking at potentially swapping out the F12s. I was hoping the NF-A12x25 chromax would be available, but it looks like the ETA has been pushed back to Q1 2021.

For the T1, would I see a noticeable advantage to switching out the F12 (pressure) for S12a (airflow) and to switching out the Slipstream for a third F12? Or should I just wait until the A12x25 is released, since it's a better all-rounder fan than the other two?

I recommend Arctic P12 PWMs. They seem to perform similarly as A12x25 and even somehow a bit quieter at full RPM(admittedly 1800rpm vs 2000rpm of the A12), while also being dirt cheap that a 5-pack is the same cost as a single A12x25. NF-F12 Chromax, in my comparison, is noticeably louder and there isn't a discernable difference in thermals between the two under the graphics card in an NCASE M1.

Philtt

Cable Smoosher
May 30, 2020
Hi Wahaha,

I will be getting the Asus RoG Strix B550-I Mobo with a USB gen2 header.

Like to know if the front panel will have USB Gen2 type C Next year?

Are we looking at 1 type C & 1 SD card reader or 1 type C gen 1 & 1 type C gen 2?

thank you.

With regards,

Phil

eblvrm

Chassis Packer
Apr 17, 2020
I recommend Arctic P12 PWMs. They seem to perform similarly as A12x25 and even somehow a bit quieter at full RPM(admittedly 1800rpm vs 2000rpm of the A12), while also being dirt cheap that a 5-pack is the same cost as a single A12x25. NF-F12 Chromax, in my comparison, is noticeably louder and there isn't a discernable difference in thermals between the two under the graphics card in an NCASE M1.

FYI (and future buyers), there are 2 variants of those - normal PWM and PWM PST. The latter can be daisy chained since they've got female 4 pin connector so you can save some $ on those Y splitters ;-)

Reactions: DrHudacris

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Is the fan hitting the Molex Connector on Mobo, or Other Cables, or the actual Mobo itself?

If the Fan sits below the Mobo, the fan blades should NOT levitate more than the fan casing, I'm curious if this is a fan QA problem or cable interference problem.

Also, did you remove the rubber padding on the fans? That should give you more room.
The fan blades and motor hub were rubbing up against the motherboard itself, not a connector, cable, or header. I checked multiple times, even moving cables outside the case, so it wasn't the cables. Removing the rubber pads didn't help. I double stacked the rubber pads and that alleviated the problem, so I got washers as a more permanent solution.
I also pushed the fan hub in and that allowed it to spin. Taking the fan out of the case, it looked like the fan hub and blades didn't drop outside of the fan frame. When taking the fan out, I noticed that one of the fan brackets (GPU side) was bent inwards, so I'm thinking the radiator is just slightly too thick, and when pushing the top panel down so I can screw it in, it's bending the fan bracket and therefore pushing the fan into the motherboard.
I might do more tweaking today to see if I can fix it without washers, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Merry Monkey

MrBuddha

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2020
Been reading around couldn't really find a clear answer, if one wanted to carry the unit onto a plane without the hassle of emptying and refilling the custom loop it would have to be air cooled. That being said I'd also need to have the air-cooler be under 50mm due to my triple slot card. The black ridge seems to be the ticket at 47mm it would be cooling a 3800x and only really used for gaming. Additionally I think running it flipped with two nf-f12x25 exhausting out the top to pull in fresh air from the side panels. Anyone have any InSite into an exclusively air-cooled T1?

Cheers.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Been reading around couldn't really find a clear answer, if one wanted to carry the unit onto a plane without the hassle of emptying and refilling the custom loop it would have to be air cooled. That being said I'd also need to have the air-cooler be under 50mm due to my triple slot card. The black ridge seems to be the ticket at 47mm it would be cooling a 3800x and only really used for gaming. Additionally I think running it flipped with two nf-f12x25 exhausting out the top to pull in fresh air from the side panels. Anyone have any InSite into an exclusively air-cooled T1?

Cheers.
It seems like you already have a good setup for air cooling in your head, but other people can give more feedback about that.

I've flown with a watercooled computer, but only with an AIO. It was a kraken x52 in the ghost s1 for context. I had absolutely no problems going from Dallas to Washington DC with the AIO in my computer and the computer in my carry on (backpack). A custom loop might be different, but most likely you shouldn't have problems. But, it's not guaranteed, because an AIO can't be opened, and a custom loop can. But, airport security probably doesn't know the difference, so as long as there's no visible liquid, you should be fine.

MrBuddha

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2020
It seems like you already have a good setup for air cooling in your head, but other people can give more feedback about that.

I've flown with a watercooled computer, but only with an AIO. It was a kraken x52 in the ghost s1 for context. I had absolutely no problems going from Dallas to Washington DC with the AIO in my computer and the computer in my carry on (backpack). A custom loop might be different, but most likely you shouldn't have problems. But, it's not guaranteed, because an AIO can't be opened, and a custom loop can. But, airport security probably doesn't know the difference, so as long as there's no visible liquid, you should be fine.

I'd be worried about getting turned away at a terminal and then deciding what was more important my computer or my flight haha. I've had a couple of bad experiences with various things being a problem on international flights that were not an issue while traveling within north America. Luckily for me those items were worth very little and didn't bother me that much.

vanquish

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 5, 2020
Currently, not enough motherboard with USB-C internal IO. For the T1, I like to get 2 to make it looks right.
Coming form b450 mobos I absolutely agree that now is not a good time to introduce USB-C yet, however since it's going to be next year with next gen mobos are you considering USB 4 at all?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019

Cheers.

I'm gonna plug the thermalright AXP90 copper that just released. Seems to be the new leader for the sub 50mm air cooler. And compared to the black ridge, far better compatibility to boot (RAM, not interfering with heatsinks etc)

Reactions: Ashenfall and PBJ

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Here's two quick pictures of the H100i Pro XT in the T1

So I took apart the computer today to see if I could find out what's wrong with the fan and motherboard problem I've been having with the h100i. I also swapped out one of the fans for a much more silent and powerful and a12x25. Cooling seems to be slightly better (2-4 degrees) but it is much quieter.
Here's my findings on the problem I was having:

If I pushed the motherboard up a bit (with only 3 of the 4 screws being used) that would keep the motherboard out of the fan enough for it to spin. Thing is, I had to be actively pushing the motherboard up for it to clear the fan hub, and when I let go, it would go back into the fan.
My plan was to screw the motherboard in completely when the motherboard was being pushed up, (all 4 screws very tight) but the motherboard was pushed up too far, and I couldn't screw in the fourth screw into the standoff. Any lower and it would hit the fan hub.
What I ended up doing was just keeping the washers. I needed 2x 1mm thick (I think that's how thick they are) washers on the back two screws (closest to the power cable) for the fan to clear the mobo.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I'm gonna plug the thermalright AXP90 copper that just released. Seems to be the new leader for the sub 50mm air cooler. And compared to the black ridge, far better compatibility to boot (RAM, not interfering with heatsinks etc)
if you set the fan on the AXP90 as intake it will gives you air turbulence. if you're ok with that addeed noise then all is well ?

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
lt240 aurora (previously just "summer 2020"), is more specifically expected (NOT confirmed) mid/end July :thumb: Hopefully more availability than the present lt240.
(source: alphacool DMs)

Does anyone here have an idea if it's mainly cosmetic and quick-disconnect changes, or if we have confirmation of something more with the aurora version?

Hm, from my interaction with them that I mentioned in thread little while ago it was expected on a longer timeline:

> Jun 29, 2020, 5:17 AM

> We will have the new LT Aurora within the next 8 to 12 weeks at our shop

Sooner is always better, though!

Reactions: aexeq

Chaca

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2020
Hm, from my interaction with them that I mentioned in thread little while ago it was expected on a longer timeline:

> Jun 29, 2020, 5:17 AM

> We will have the new LT Aurora within the next 8 to 12 weeks at our shop

Sooner is always better, though!

Agreed, sooner is better :)

Let's see if they actually meant announce date, or full release. Will keep my fingers crossed for July ?