Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
CPU Air Cooling Temperature Comparisons - Alpenfohn Black Ridge v2 vs Noctua L12S

Components:

• CPU
    • Intel i5 9600K
    • 4.6Ghz All Core Overclock at 1.175v
    • AVX offset - 2
    • LLC - 1
    • Long duration power limit - 95w
    • Short duration power limit - 135w
  • GPU
    • EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming
    • +110 boost clock
    • +850 memory clock
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Alpenfohn Black Ridge v2 w/ two fans
    • 92mm Fan: Noctua NF-A9
    • 120mm Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15
Idle Temps - 32-36 C
  • RealBench 15min Stress Test:
    • CPU Max temperature - 74 C
    • GPU Max temperature - 61 C

• Cinebench R20 5 Pass Loop (2:05 per loop):
    • CPU Max temperature - 71 C
    • GPU Max temperature - 33 C

• 1 hour+ Hunt Showdown Gaming:
    • GPU Max temperature - 76 C
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Noctua L12S
Idle Temps - 28-31 C
    • CPU Max temperature - 68 C
    • GPU Max temperature - 56 C

• CPU Max temperature - 66 C
    • GPU Max temperature - 29 C

• CPU Max temperature - 64 C
    • GPU Max temperature - 73 C

Conclusion:

I'm impressed with how well BRv2 holds up against the larger Noctua L12S in my temperature comparison, but there is a major difference that I unfortunately don't have the proper tools to measure, and that's noise levels. Using only my ears, I can say the L12S is noticeably quieter than BRv2, and I can only assume that has all to do with how close the fan is to the mesh perforations with BRv2. I didn't pay close enough attention to the fan RPMs when BRv2 was installed, but my CPU fan didn't break 1050 RPM on the L12S during the Cinebench R20 run, which blows my mind. For anyone with Noctua fans in their systems, you know that's practically silent.

Another major pro for the L12S is the installation process. Noctua has made that a very easy and satisfying experience, whereas installing the BRv2 is the opposite of that. Beginners need to take a lot of care when installing BRv2, as there are no preventative measures in place to prevent tightening the mounting screws to the point of snapping your motherboard in half.

I know my CPU OC can't be described as anything other than mild, and the 9600K isn't that hot of a chip to begin with, but hopefully these results help future builders in the FormD T1. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing more T1 builds!

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I would like to ask you whether you placed the fan over the cooler or between the CPU and the cooler with Noctua? I assume that over the cooler because of the clearance between the RAM modules and the 120mm fan is not enough If you place it between CPU and the cooler. Am I right?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Great minds think alike :D I was planning to do this but with the alphacool flow meter which has a 3rd port to fill/bleed but with the current GPU it wont fit!
Just use a T fitting! Look at my previous build with one GPU.

Or maybe this? But I don't know if can be a reservoir only.

EDIT: it's bigger. :(

Last edited:

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
I swapped out the Alpenfohn Black Ridge v2 cooler for the Noctua L12S today, and learned a couple of things while doing so that could help some of you future builders:
  • The L12S doesn't fit the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard without slight modifications.
    • Either the fan needs to be filed down (what I chose to do)
    • Or the VRM heat sink needs to be removed
  • The L12S only fits in one orientation in this case with my motherboard.
    • The bottom strut obstructs the recommended orientation for the heat pipes with the case flipped.
    • I'm not sure about other motherboards, but horizontal cooler orientation could fit in the case if you're using low profile RAM and your board doesn't have anything that could get in the way.
I only had a chance to run one stress test before I was occupied for the rest of the day, but it looked pretty damn good for the L12S. I'll post proper comparisons when I get a chance to run more tests... hopefully tomorrow. :)

CPU Air Cooling Temperature Comparisons - Alpenfohn Black Ridge v2 vs Noctua L12S

Components:

• CPU
    • Intel i5 9600K
    • AVX offset - 2
    • LLC - 1
  • GPU
    • +110 boost clock
    • +850 memory clock
Idle Temps - 32-36 C

• Noctua L12S
Idle Temps - 28-31 C

Conclusion:

I'm impressed with how well BRv2 holds up against the larger Noctua L12S in my temperature comparison, but there is a major difference that I unfortunately don't have the proper tools to measure, and that's noise levels. Using only my ears, I can say the L12S is noticeably quieter than BRv2, and I can only assume that has all to do with how close the fan is to the mesh perforations with BRv2. I didn't pay close enough attention to the fan RPMs when BRv2 was installed, but my CPU fan didn't break 1050 RPM on the L12S during the Cinebench R20 run, which blows my mind. For anyone with Noctua fans in their systems, you know that's practically silent.

Another major pro for the L12S is the installation process. Noctua has made that a very easy and satisfying experience, whereas installing the BRv2 is the opposite of that. Beginners need to take a lot of care when installing BRv2, as there are no preventative measures in place to prevent tightening the mounting screws to the point of snapping your motherboard in half.

I know my CPU OC can't be described as anything other than mild, and the 9600K isn't that hot of a chip to begin with, but hopefully these results help future builders in the FormD T1. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing more T1 builds!

This comparison is awesome, thank you very much for this!
Too bad the BR doesn't really fit the new boards though...

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
It fits the Asus X570 Itx (so for sure the Gigabyte as well) with the fan on Top, and removing just the M2 heatsink. I've used to have it in the MI-6 case, was an amazing combo with the 3900X!

Reactions: Kxrma and Brude27

pslate

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2018
@pslate You DAN/Ghost cables are absolutely PERFECT for the T1 and the PSU in the standard configuration.

About the EPS for the CPU: the actual length is perfect for the 3 Slots GPU configuration.
As mentioned before, for the 2 slots, The CPU cable should be 2/3cm longer.

Thanks a lot for your work man!

Thank you so much! Appreciate the feedback as well!

I'll get some pictures up here in the next couple days!

Gerold

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2020
www.instagram.com
It fits the Asus X570 Itx (so for sure the Gigabyte as well) with the fan on Top, and removing just the M2 heatsink. I've used to have it in the MI-6 case, was an amazing combo with the 3900X!

This is also great news, thanks so much!
I was asking around on reddit, but people told me it wouldn't fit because of the vrm cooler.
Did you have to modify it in any way, besides removing the m2 heatsink?
Man, I can't wait to build in the T1, hopefully selling to Europe will begin soon also :D

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
This is also great news, thanks so much!
I was asking around on reddit, but people told me it wouldn't fit because of the vrm cooler.
Did you have to modify it in any way, besides removing the m2 heatsink?
Man, I can't wait to build in the T1, hopefully selling to Europe will begin soon also :D
No, absolutely no modification! You cannot mount the bottom 92mm fan though.
And you need to pay attention to the brackets you get. If is a recent BlackRidge, it comes already with mounting bracket for the AM4 socket only, that not touch any chokes on the motherboard. The not recent one, have included a bracket that works for the AM3/AM4 socket, and this has some clearance issue, so you have to buy apart the correct bracket.

BUT again, if you buy it now, you will have 99% of chance that the new bracket is included!

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Thank you very much for the detailed information. I would like to ask you whether you placed the fan over the cooler or between the CPU and the cooler with Noctua? I assume that over the cooler because of the clearance between the RAM modules and the 120mm fan is not enough If you place it between CPU and the cooler. Am I right?

You're very welcome! The L12S wouldn't fit inside the T1 with the side panels on with the fan on top. I have it underneath the heat sink as can be seen in my updated build log here:

I swapped out the Alpenfohn Black Ridge v2 cooler for the Noctua L12S today, and learned a couple of things while doing so that could help some of you future builders:
  • The L12S doesn't fit the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard without slight modifications.
    • The bottom strut obstructs the recommended orientation for the heat pipes with the case flipped.
    • I'm not sure about other motherboards, but horizontal cooler orientation could fit in the case if you're using low profile RAM and your board doesn't have anything that could get in the way.
I only had a chance to run one stress test before I was occupied for the rest of the day, but it looked pretty damn good for the L12S. I'll post proper comparisons when I get a chance to run more tests... hopefully tomorrow. :)

As you can see in my build log, there are slight modifications that need to be made with my particular motherboard. My preference would be mounting the L12S horizontally to benefit from the top fans pulling air through the fin array on the heatsink, but unfortunately my mobo doesn't allow for that orientation. Hopefully my next platform will allow for better compatibility than the one I'm currently on, but only time will tell on that.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! As @fabio has pointed out, you are in good shape with BR and the new lineup for the most part. Obviously, do your research before committing on components, but that's what SFF is all about. :)

Reactions: tinyitx and Gerold

aterra

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 9, 2020

Components:

• CPU
    • Intel i5 9600K
    • AVX offset - 2
    • LLC - 1
  • GPU
    • +110 boost clock
    • +850 memory clock
Idle Temps - 32-36 C

• Noctua L12S
Idle Temps - 28-31 C

Conclusion:

Thanks for this! I was already planning a very similar build to yours with the L12S, so I’m happy to see it perform so well. I can’t wait to get it all together!

Reactions: Brude27

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
@Wahaha360 my body is ready for the distroplate! Any rough timeline on it? Q4 2020? 2021? And would it be possible to have the option of "covering" the distroplate with the aluminum plate for a stealth look?

Reactions: fabio

gorthox

Cable Smoosher
Mar 25, 2020
I doubt it, but when I get my case I'm going to test a Corsair H60, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT (maybe), and an NZXT Kraken X52 (still need to get slim fans)

We've seen examples of 240mm rads that are 27mm think fitting in this case with 15mm fans, that's why I want to test the H100i, because it's supposed to be a 27mm think rad, but I don't have one right now. I might get it when I get the case, but not sure ATM.

Edit: also there's a reason you probably wouldn't want to use a kraken in here, and that's because the pump is taller than the 50mm height limit in 3 slot mode. My thinking is if you're going all out with CPU cooling, having a 3 slot GPU should be the best thing for the GPU in terms of cooling without going full custom loop. Using a kraken forces you to use a 2 shot GPU, I don't think that's worth it. If 27mm thick Corsair AIOs will fit, they have shorter pumps that are under that 50mm height clearance, so they should be the go to for most people. Still have to test this though

If you need any direct measurements of an H100i, let me know, I have one, and I'm really excited to know if i'd be able to use it in the T1. I know the measurements for the H100i should all be online but sometimes its better make sure things match up in reality. As a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to mod the H100i into a full custom loop including a graphics card? My worries are that it wouldnt have a high enough flow rate or enough strength to effectively cool both a processor and a graphics card. My experience with liquid cooling ends with installing an AIO, so would it be too high risk for me to start with modding the H100i? Should i start with standard components? Im just trying to save a few bucks LMAO.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
If you need any direct measurements of an H100i, let me know, I have one, and I'm really excited to know if i'd be able to use it in the T1. I know the measurements for the H100i should all be online but sometimes its better make sure things match up in reality. As a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to mod the H100i into a full custom loop including a graphics card? My worries are that it wouldnt have a high enough flow rate or enough strength to effectively cool both a processor and a graphics card. My experience with liquid cooling ends with installing an AIO, so would it be too high risk for me to start with modding the H100i? Should i start with standard components? Im just trying to save a few bucks LMAO.
Thanks for the offer, I'll remember it if I need to ask you.

As for the custom loop, there wouldn't be a problem with flow rate if I had to guess. Where you would run into problems is getting fittings for the pump and the radiator. Not only that, but removing the stock tubes and fittings might ruin any chance of salvaging the radiator and pump, so it's best to not do that if I had to say.

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

0Zx

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I think I did a dumb. I bought a GPU for this eventual build and realized after the purchase that it is taller than 140mm (it's 148mm)[don't judge me - it was a late night low-bidding spree]. I plan to cool it with a waterblock once I get the T1. Some questions:
  • Should I sell the card as soon as it arrives for one that is 140mm (or shorter)?
  • Would I be able to somehow position this 148mm two slot card in a three slot configuration so it does not interfere with the strut and therefore allow enough clearance for a waterblock with low profile fittings?
The pictures I've seen seem to show way more space than what my numbers indicate so I'd like to bounce a reality check for myself off of the community.

0Zx

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I think I did a dumb. I bought a GPU for this eventual build and realized after the purchase that it is taller than 140mm (it's 148mm)[don't judge me - it was a late night low-bidding spree]. I plan to cool it with a waterblock once I get the T1. Some questions:
  • Should I sell the card as soon as it arrives for one that is 140mm (or shorter)?
  • Would I be able to somehow position this 148mm two slot card in a three slot configuration so it does not interfere with the strut and therefore allow enough clearance for a waterblock with low profile fittings?
The pictures I've seen seem to show way more space than what my numbers indicate so I'd like to bounce a reality check for myself off of the community.

0Zx

Which GPU?

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
You're very welcome! The L12S wouldn't fit inside the T1 with the side panels on with the fan on top. I have it underneath the heat sink as can be seen in my updated build log here:

As you can see in my build log, there are slight modifications that need to be made with my particular motherboard. My preference would be mounting the L12S horizontally to benefit from the top fans pulling air through the fin array on the heatsink, but unfortunately my mobo doesn't allow for that orientation. Hopefully my next platform will allow for better compatibility than the one I'm currently on, but only time will tell on that.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! As @fabio has pointed out, you are in good shape with BR and the new lineup for the most part. Obviously, do your research before committing on components, but that's what SFF is all about. :)

Now I got the point with zoomed closer look. Thank you very much again. May I ask you what RAM modules do you use and whether you had any clearance issue with the 120mm fan over them? I am planning to buy Aorus b450i, do you have any ideas about fitting L12S on it?

grantus

Case Bender
New User
Mar 28, 2020
Pleas check the first post. Once all the test shippers get their cases and give feedback, and once the creator is comfortable about releasing the case to the masses, it will be available on the website, that has not been released yet.
Thank you very much, sir.