Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Sure, I get it. But with game engines and graphics APIs taking increasingly better advantage of more cores/threads, combined with high resolution gaming's GPU-bound nature, my bias is to maximally cool a monster GPU while opting for a lower TDP CPU.

With modern options like the 65W 3700X, this strategy can work really well. The days of single-threaded performance's import to gaming and VR are coming to an end, much to Intel's lament.

Completely agree that having some restraint on the CPU in the interest of keeping under a certain power or heat envelope, but that should always be taken with a grain of salt. With the increased core/thread count becoming commonplace, and the inevitable effect that will have on the game development, higher core CPUs that are still also able to manage high frequencies will be king, wringing out max frame rates will always be a frequency thing though over core count beyond 4-8 cores for the foreseeable future.
With that said, the lower TDP CPUs are always downclocked models. Running the same cores, with much lower base/boost clocks. putting limits on your max FPS. Personally, I would opt for the 65W 3700X like you mentioned, but with no intention of running at stock clocks. Start with max frequencies while balancing additional power and heat, then find the point of diminishing returns between FPS gains, heat output, and required fan noise.
My current dual 130W Xeon CPU setup is perfectly fine for gaming, great for workstation use, while still being amazingly quiet with Noctua heatsinks and fans running at lowered speeds. I run F@H basically all of the time with minimal affect on my day to day duties, even gaming. Only shutting it down when I'm running VMs or heavy sims. No problems whatsoever with the noise.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
I would think the Corsair h60 2018 would be enough, if you can stand the bright white lights on the pump. Waha has also done some testing with the h60 2018, so you can find that in here.

My overclocked 1600 draws about 100w under a full render load if HW monitor is to be believed, about the same wattage as an overclocked 3600 (going off of GamersNexus), so when I get the h60 I can tell you how it performs if I remember
For those who care, here are the results for the Corsair H60 compared to my NZXT Kraken X52
TL;DR: The H60 2018 is enough to cool my overclocked 1600 (draws about 80 - 100 watts under a 15 minute prime 95 small FFTs load), so it should be enough to cool the 3600 and probably some R7 models.
With the fans at about 1700 RPM (Noctua NFa12x25 w/Low Noise Adapter) the H60 kept the CPU at around 75c. Without the LNA, it stayed around 72c. With the Kraken, the temps were about 10c lower (66c) but the fans were at about 1000-1200 RPM, and were much quieter.
Here are screenshots of HW Monitor after the 15 minutes were up
Also a while ago I tested the X52 with only one fan to see how it performed, and with the fans at around 1200 RPM, the CPU stayed around 71c, granted the test was only 5 minutes of prime 95. So if you already have a 240mm AIO and dont want to spend money on a 120, a 240 will probably work fine. However, youd also loose out on an extra exhaust fan which could help GPU thermals

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

Rapide

Chassis Packer
Jun 29, 2019
About LT240 cooling, I got Nf-A12x25(new) and nf-a12x15 with Noctua secufirm.
9600k (w/o delliding), 100% pump and fans.
210w- getting near 100c
If it will be in case and getting hot air from GPU I think 9600k will be near 100c already with 190-200w.
150w / 50% fans - 75c.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
I googled a bit but couldn't find any testing on a Alphacool LT240 in a CPU+GPU loop. Anyone know if thats a good idea, or should I stick with getting something like the FTW3 cards with massive coolers and only using the Alphacool LT240 on my CPU

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I googled a bit but couldn't find any testing on a Alphacool LT240 in a CPU+GPU loop. Anyone know if thats a good idea, or should I stick with getting something like the FTW3 cards with massive coolers and only using the Alphacool LT240 on my CPU

You can find in youtube a channel called optimumtech and he has done a custom loop with a eisbaer solo (th block+cpu combo on the aesbaer lt240) and he has added a alphacool st30 240 rad + a EK (I believe) waterblock for his 2080 ti (reference). He said that he was going to make a video soon with the results, so it´s a matter of time. He is doing ot on a louqe though so, bigger rad and 2x full size fans, but you can draw some conclussions from his video.

edit: if you ask my opinion, you should be better with the eisbaer just for the cpu and a fat aircooled card. I guess it will be almost silent when browsing and while gaming... I don´t know really.... But that 25mm rad with small fan... trowing in there a hot card + a hot cpu (I guess) doesn´t sound like a good idea.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
You can find in youtube a channel called optimumtech and he has done a custom loop with a eisbaer solo (th block+cpu combo on the aesbaer lt240) and he has added a alphacool st30 240 rad + a EK (I believe) waterblock for his 2080 ti (reference). He said that he was going to make a video soon with the results, so it´s a matter of time. He is doing ot on a louqe though so, bigger rad and 2x full size fans, but you can draw some conclussions from his video.

edit: if you ask my opinion, you should be better with the eisbaer just for the cpu and a fat aircooled card. I guess it will be almost silent when browsing and while gaming... I don´t know really.... But that 25mm rad with small fan... trowing in there a hot card + a hot cpu (I guess) doesn´t sound like a good idea.
I believe waha has done some testing and found that using slim fans has little to no impact on cooling, so I wouldn't worry about that. Also I think JayzTwoCents has done some testing and found that radiators aren't affected much by the temperature of the air going through them. So imo, there's not much to worry about in that regard.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Yes, I know that maybe slim fans doesn´t affect too much, but for sure they have some impact. For example if you compare the noctuas, the 25mm one has 200 rpm more and it´s quieter than his 15mm counterpart (although we are not talking about noise here anyway) so it should get better temps just for the rpm difference. And then theres the thickness of the rad, which I guess is not going to dissipate as much heat as the same brand´s 30mm one.

I´m guessing here, but if you sum up a little less air because of the fans and a litlle less heat dissipation because of the slim rad... in the end it sums up and it would be noticeable. Also two hot components in a single rad... despite the slim fans and slim rad... is a bit of a strech. Having the room to use a 3 slot graphics card, I really belive that the best way is to watercool just the cpu

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
I believe waha has done some testing and found that using slim fans has little to no impact on cooling, so I wouldn't worry about that. Also I think JayzTwoCents has done some testing and found that radiators aren't affected much by the temperature of the air going through them. So imo, there's not much to worry about in that regard.

Ofc radiators are affected by the temperature of the air that is going through them. It is one of the biggest factors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I´m guessing here, but if you sum up a little less air because of the fans and a litlle less heat dissipation because of the slim rad... in the end it sums up and it would be noticeable. Also two hot components in a single rad... despite the slim fans and slim rad... is a bit of a strech. Having the room to use a 3 slot graphics card, I really belive that the best way is to watercool just the cpu

It depends on your usage. A 240mm rad would be enough for a gpu + cpu provided you do not load both completely. So, for games, it would be more than enough, but you couldn't get both components at high loads at once, as you would overload the system regarding heat dissipation and the cpu would throttle. But for games? Yes, you could get very good results.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
if you ask my opinion, you should be better with the eisbaer just for the cpu and a fat aircooled card. I guess it will be almost silent when browsing and while gaming... I don´t know really.... But that 25mm rad with small fan... trowing in there a hot card + a hot cpu (I guess) doesn´t sound like a good idea.

This was my thought as well, but i've never watercooled anything so just wanted to look around a bit more. I'll probably just watercool the CPU and get a beefy card to go with it :)

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
It depends on your usage. A 240mm rad would be enough for a gpu + cpu provided you do not load both completely. So, for games, it would be more than enough, but you couldn't get both components at high loads at once, as you would overload the system regarding heat dissipation and the cpu would throttle. But for games? Yes, you could get very good results.

have a good source on this? it would be very nice to only have 1 radiator and 2 fans in my system...

I'd just like to look at some numbers and make up my mind :)

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
have a good source on this? it would be very nice to only have 1 radiator and 2 fans in my system...

I'd just like to look at some numbers and make up my mind :)

What do you mean source? If you are trying to COOL something how come the temperature between one thing and the other isn't relevant? In fact, the higher the temperature difference (or Delta T) between the water inside the radiator and the air, the better performance you get.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Ofc radiators are affected by the temperature of the air that is going through them. It is one of the biggest factors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah you're right, I remembered it wrong. Water-cooling is better than air cooling when it comes to warmer air. This is the video I'm referencing.

Reactions: Shinken1

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
What do you mean source? If you are trying to COOL something how come the temperature between one thing and the other isn't relevant? In fact, the higher the temperature difference (or Delta T) between the water inside the radiator and the air, the better performance you get.

I just want to see the temps from a GPU+CPU in a 240 rad and see how well it works.

I found a bunch of posts with people asking "is a 240 rad enough for GPU+CPU" and a bunch of people answering that with "yes" and "no" but i didn't see any temps.

of course, i'm at work and havent looked exhaustively. just glances.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I just want to see the temps from a GPU+CPU in a 240 rad and see how well it works.

I found a bunch of posts with people asking "is a 240 rad enough for GPU+CPU" and a bunch of people answering that with "yes" and "no" but i didn't see any temps.

of course, i'm at work and havent looked exhaustively. just glances.

Here is a 280mm alphacool 30mm rad. Push configuration at 1300 rpm fans dissipated 230 watts of heat per 10C delta. Even in a 30C ambient, I think a delta of up to 20C is accetpable, so this 280mm rad can be expected to dissipate 460 watts of heat. A 280mm radiator is 36% larger than a 240mm radiator, so an equivalent thickness 240mm radiator should be able to handle ~340 watts, less given the Eisbaer LT240s thickness of 25 mm, so lets say ~300 watts of heat. Again, will be a touch lower as we can only use one full size fan.

A stock high end GPU pulls 250 watts, a cpu maybe 100 watts (during gaming, its probably lower). So lets call it 350 watts. We've exceeded 300 watts best case scenario.

If your ambient temp is lower, lets say air conditioned environment, 20C, you've got more room, up to another 150 watts more.

Disclaimer: these calculations are extrapolations, take it with a grain of salt

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019

Here is a 280mm alphacool 30mm rad. Push configuration at 1300 rpm fans dissipated 230 watts of heat per 10C delta. Even in a 30C ambient, I think a delta of up to 20C is accetpable, so this 280mm rad can be expected to dissipate 460 watts of heat. A 280mm radiator is 36% larger than a 240mm radiator, so an equivalent thickness 240mm radiator should be able to handle ~340 watts, less given the Eisbaer LT240s thickness of 25 mm, so lets say ~300 watts of heat. Again, will be a touch lower as we can only use one full size fan.

A stock high end GPU pulls 250 watts, a cpu maybe 100 watts (during gaming, its probably lower). So lets call it 350 watts. We've exceeded 300 watts best case scenario.

If your ambient temp is lower, lets say air conditioned environment, 20C, you've got more room, up to another 150 watts more.

Disclaimer: these calculations are extrapolations, take it with a grain of salt

Great find! Thanks! Looks like alphacool the cpu and get a beefy GPU is going to be the best bet.