Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

2024-01-29: T1 Version 2.5 Released!​

FormD and the T1 project originated as an R&D venture in manufacturing utilizing NCASE resources. The T1 enclosure is now integrated into the NCASE portfolio.

The T1 Sandwich Kit Version 2.5 is a redesigned and refined version of the FormD T1 by NCASE. The changes made to Version 2.5 can be found on the product page.

The Black Color is available today, and shipping starts tomorrow. The other colors will be restocked beginning in March.
https://ncased.com/collections/t1
https://ncased.com/products/user-manuals

2022-06-18: The website will open to the public starting Sunday, 2022-06-19 8PM Pacific Time!​

1. T1 V2 inventory will update weekly on Wed and Sundays 8PM Pacific Time.
  2. T1 V2 accessories will be updated on the store starting next week.
  3. Orders will be processed in two stages: 1) payment card authorization and 2) payment capture. Doing so allows us to reject known scalpers at stage 1) and preserve more inventory for customers.
  4. T1 Titanium color and T1-REF (in any color) Interest Check Customer shipments are on schedule. These will also ship before public orders.

2022-06-05: ITXLAB T1V2 Review​

Video URL https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1US4y1v7fu?.

2022-05-23: Machine & More Preview Video for T1 V2​

2022-04-16 Update: T1 V2 drops again on 2022-04-17 at 8PM Pacific Time! T1 V2 Early Access will close on 2022-04-17 at 7PM Pacific Time!​

To offer T1 V2 at the best value for customers and reduce scalping, we plan to keep the lower (cheaper) IC price available to the general public for as long as possible.

In the future, we plan to offer weekly drops. We are currently testing different time zones and days to see what works the best for our fans worldwide. Once we settle on a reoccurring time, we will make an announcement.

2022-04-06 Update: T1 V2 Order start 2022-04-08 8PM Pacific Time sold out!​

Customer with completed Interest Check or on Priority List or both:

If you have completed the T1 V2 Interest Check Survey, we will email you the invoice starting April 9th, so there is no need to *panic-buy on opening. The invoice email will allow you to change the shipping address, and if other changes are required, reply to the email for customer service.

T1 V2 Sandwich Kit in Black color (both PCie 4.0 and PCIe 3.0 Riser Cable) will ship first. The other configurations are delayed due to global supply chain constraints, and to that end, we cannot estimate the availability date.

For these reasons, if your IC is not a T1 V2 Sandwich Kit in Black color, we will not email you. If you change your mind and want what’s available, you can 1) buy from the website on opening or 2) email customer service starting April 9th. We should have enough inventory, and if not, you will still have priority over regular customers in shipping.

Assuming no further lockdowns in Asia, we plan to ship starting next week to the end of April.

Everyone Else:

What’s on the website on opening is what we can ship, so please refer to the website. Assuming no further lockdowns in Asia, we plan to ship by the end of April.

Media Review:

There should be some reviews available before we ship!

2022-03-08: Priority, Interest Checks, Price Increase!​

Bad News - the combination of Inflation, record aluminum price, covid supply chain disruptions, lockdowns in Asia, and energy price surge means that we have to increase prices soon.
Good News - There is still time! Those that complete the T1 V2 Interest Check this week can still lock-in at the current lower price. Those with prior successful credit card authorization are also locked in at the current lower price. After this weekend, we will update the website with the new and higher price.
We will also email everyone on the Priority List this week to complete the interest check to lock in the current and lower price.
Second Priority - Priority List customers WITHOUT completed Interest Check, and regular customers WITH Interest Check, both groups are treated equally in this tier.
T1 V2 Purchase priority ranking:
  • First Priority - Priority List customers with completed Interest Check.
  • Second Priority - Priority List customers WITHOUT completed Interest Check, and regular customers WITH Interest Check, both groups are treated equally in this tier.
  • Regular - Everyone else.

2021-12-12: A second poll on the default Front Panel!​

In the rendering, from left to right, Split Front Panel, TG Front Panel, TwoTone Front Panel. Let's poll again!

2021-10-19: Stockpiling so it doesn't sell out immediately and enrage the internet.​

Highlights:
- Aluminum Mesh Panels are SHOCKINGLY good compare to the older Steel Mesh, even surprising for us.
- T1-Reference with Noctua C14S on AMD 5950X runs nice with FE3080.
- MSI Suprim X is just not for SFF, no performance benefit over ROG, much longer, why MSI! why!
- HWL 280GTS is a really tight fit in both T1-Reference and T1-Sandwich, recommended only for nutters.

2021-09-16: Updating T1 V1.5 name to T1 V2.0, now has all of EVO's features excluding transformation.​

Too many updates to the new version, and it's nothing like the previous version. So it's now officially T1 V2.

To those curious about how this update relates to T1 EVO (aka V2.0), this version is V2.0 because it has all of EVO's <10L features excluding transformation.

For the latest details, see our subreddit post here.

2021-09-16: T1V1.1 Black with Black Mesh Side Panel, Black with Silver Mesh Side Panel, Titanium with Silver Mesh Side Panel will open for orders on 2021-09-17 8AM Pacific Time (PT)!​

Supply is still limited, so we will not be sending out reminder emails - just going to upset a bunch of people who can't buy in time.

Multiple orders not allowed! One per customer! We will check shipping address, violator's orders will be cancelled.

2020-10-12: E-White T1 Mesh Side Panel Poll URL

Curtesy to Navic for setting it up, this poll will help us finalize the Mesh Side Panel color for E-White T1.

Communication Update! - forum is no longer a good format, let's move to r/FormD first and SFFN second!

For those that feels this thread is hostile to questions, I feel sorry about the situation. For those that have been answering the same questions over and over, I also feel sorry about the situation. This forum thread is too big and congested to provide useful information for everyone, so let's just move for everyone's sake.

So going forward, we going communicate to Reddit first, SFFN second!

2020-07-30: Three updates!

1. Official Instagram Account
@formdworks

Human malware really suck. Social distancing and working from home is making us lonely and stressed. So please follow us or give us a like on Instagram, we need all the positive energy we can get to keep moving forward.

2. Bigger batch = less preorder drama

The bad new is that our data suggest demand is still increasing, while our supply hasn't changed, which translates to preorder drama and dissapointment.

The good news is that we might have a solution. Our manufacturing limitation is largely due to CNC Machining doesn't scale like typical Sheetmetal cases, and CNC Machine Time Allocation. We have been fighting for more machine time allocation. Some time in September, we will open preorder for a larger batch shipping in October. For people that are tired of the panic of trying to get a T1 and not able to, don't stay up late or let preorders ruin your day, just check in with us September.

3. Official T1 Build Guide is in the works

Some of you are having issues with building the T1 using current T1 Instruction Manual. So @gwertheim and I are working on a build guide this weekend, hopefully something to show next week.

In the meantime, here is an animation to help you visualize T1 assembly.

Preorder Update! - Preorders start Friday, July 3rd, 9AM PST via www.formdworks.com

The first date will be 2020-07-03 and the shipping date will be 2020-07-24. There are too few T1s for the 2020-07-03 drop (shipping 2020-07-24). So we don't want to email all subscribers just so they can get mad not being able to get one. We will email subscirbers once we have a bigger batch coming in.

Two colors will be available: 1) Black + Black Mesh and 2) Black Silver + Black Mesh (aka two tone). No other colors at this time, no *extra accessories, and no ETA on these atm. T1 without Riser and T1 + Riser will both be offered. We don't have quantity estimates, because machine time, quality control and anodizing hard to predict.

Shipping prices changes frequently, so just add item to cart to see the exact shipping price. We can *ONLY ship to these countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan, Vietnam.
  • T1V1.0 sold out! (China only due to shipping limitations)
  • T1 preorder is scheduled to drops every Friday
  • T1 will be manufactured continuously , so most people that wants one should be able to get one in 2020 ?
  • We will try and ship to more countries for each weekly drops
T1V1.1 (June 2020 Batch) Updates:
  1. Top & Bottom Panel vents gap changed to 105mm for radiators to mount directly to panel
  2. Added 4mm diameter by 3mm deep magnet holes to the sides of the case frame, to better hold mesh panels in place when Top or Bottom Panels are removed during dissembly (magnets cannot be included due to air shipping limitations)
  3. Added cutout to SFX bracket for better cable routing when using a 25mm thick fan adjacent to SFX
  4. 2.5" Drive Bracket moved up for better cable clearance
  5. 2-Slot & 3-Slot GPU Sheetmetal Bracket lowered by 1.5mm for easier mounting
  6. Changed Power Button to 19mm Anti-Vandal Switch (from 16mm)
Other Important Infos:
  • To minimize congestion, read FAQ and Useful Links before you ask redundant questions
  • Can't keep up with so many new posts. Created r/FormD. Upvoting and downvoting feature will helps us prioritize response to questions and issues
  • changed brand name due to banking reasons - Sidearmd was flagged b/c it's close to firearms?
2020-05-06 Update: EK-AIO 240 barely fits, not easy to install, not recommended for beginners

2020-04-12 Update: Distro Plate for DDC, SPC / P5 Pumps

Update 2020-03-13 : Instruction Manual Draft 2 (WIP)!

Update 2020-03-10 : Test Shipping Candidates, please fill out this Survey! Orders will open *after Test Shipping Candidates receive their T1s and provide feedback!
Australia, Wyd4, Austria, Cyberratchet Canada, johannbl, Denmark, fabio, Finland, Benihana, France, Vaux, Germany, theexplainer, Japan, hengster, South Korea, ahs8225, Italy, Metroversal, Malaysia, chinyang, Netherlands, Floris, New Zealand, tyen, Norway, Stigth, Poland, bynio, Portugal, nulio, Saudi Arabia, darky122, Singapore, heckinwoofer, Spain, prava, Sweden, hardly, Taiwan, Thermo, Turkey, cablez, Ukraine, denys_349, United Kingdom, Goatee, USA - California, bpark919, USA - NYC/CT/MA, Kundahli, USA - Texas, Navic
USA - Texas, DrHudacris *special consideration, many posts thread
USA - Other, PBJ *special consideration, many posts thread
USA - Other, Brude27 *special consideration, many posts on thread
USA - Other, pslate *special consideration, custom cables for T1
Uzbekistan, Basriy *shipping to Uzbekistan is exotic to me

Update 2020-02-18 : Alpahcool LT240 fits, but 240 AIO is not officially support! 9900K on 120 AIO can out perform 240 AIO (see review), so 240 AIO is unnecessary for *most people!

Update 2020-02-06 : Preorder on hold until virus situation settles in China.
1. the virus has created a huge backlog and uncertainty for shipping, I don't want to take orders with this much uncertainty around shipping.
2. I have requested more T1s to be made, so delay preorders = the gap between availability will be days / weeks instead months.
3. more T1 availability = less anger and fighting on the forum, less disappointment.

So many ideas, so little time

T1 Black + Mesh Side Panels Availability: formdworks.com
T1 Black + Mesh Side Panels Price: USD 200, excluding shipping (depends on shipping speed and country)

T1 Black + Mesh Side Panels Specifications:
Material:
CNC machined from 15mm 6061 Aluminum + 1.5mm steel SFX and Fan brackets
Side panels: ultra-fine mesh side panels (also functions as dust filters)
Colors: Sand Blasted + Anodized Black Aluminum chassis, Powder Coated PSU and Fan brackets.

Dimensions (W x H x D): 133 x 217 x 330, 9.5L
Graphic cards support: 312mm long, 2 or 3 Slot GPU (39.2 or 59.2mm from Side Panel to GPU PCB, including 1.6mm GPU PCB)
Motherboard support: Mini-ITX
Power Supply support: SFX
CPU Heatsink support: 70mm height (Noctua L12S recommended) using 2 Slot GPU or 50mm height using 3 slot GPU
Water cooling support: 120mm AIO at 35mm thick
Drives: 1 x 2.5" HDD/SSD
PCIe Riser: Included

Update 2019-10-25 : production case looks stunning, but anodizing is bad, need to be redone ?.

Some days you just want to cry, need to send most panels back because the anodizing has problems.

Update 2019-09-09 : https://www.sfflab.com/products/sidearmd_t1, click "NOTIFY ME WHEN RESTOCKED" on this product page to be emailed when we release (review video should be out before release)

Update 2019-07-18 : USB-C and SD Card Front I/O for those so curious

Update 2019-06-18 : Prototype 2 in hand for testing (good news), but I might have broken my motherboard (bad news), a cap next to the M.2 fell off.

Update 2019-06-14 : Barrowch Chameleon Fish 240mm modular radiator added to the Open Bench Test

Look like Alphacool LT240 (25mm thick) is still the best choice for this case, and performs better than other 30mm thick 240mm AIOs, so 240x30mm thick radiator is not worth the extra size increase.

* CPU (i9-9900K) NOT Delided

Update 2019-03-31 : CPU Cooler Open Bench Test Result

1. Alphacool LT240 shows near identical performance to XSPC TX240
2. 2x Noctua A12x25 fans vs. Noctua A12x25 + A12x15 makes little difference.
3. Koolance HX-CU420V (120mm Radiator, Copper) is 3°C from the Alphacool LT240 (240mm Radiator, Copper), which is equal or better than most 240mm (Aluminum) AIOs, like Corsair H100i Pro, NZXT X52.

* CPU (i9-9900K) NOT Delided

Asus Z390-I 160W OC Settings

Asus Z390-I 240W OC Settings

AIJIA 120 Custom Radiator

AIJIA 240 Custom Radiator

Alphacool LT240

Corsair H60 2018

Koolance HX-CU420V

HWL LS120

Noctua NH-D15 (2x NF-A14 PWM on one fan Y Splitter cable)

Noctua NH-L12S
Given the NH-D15 results, I don't see the need to test NH-L12S, 9900K OC at 200W+ is just way over the intended use. 120 AIO is the better choice imo.

XSPC TX240

Update 2019-01-19 : Noctua L12S fit verified, all 70mm of it (2 GPU Slot mode)

Update 2019-01-14 : Prototype 1, need to work on lighting :(

Update 2019-01-05 : Space Gray, Black and Silver prototypes for CES 2019

After the initial project stalled, https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-project-sidearm.1525, I couldn't give up.

Special thanks:
Necere for letting me use the name and the layout
dondan for giving me some tips about spacing
guryhwa for helping I/O and PCIe riser

Feedback appreciated!

Last edited:

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
This is actually my ideal case.

I really like the 70mm clearance I have with Steck but I see it being wasted if one will go AIO route. The space can easily be used to accommodate thicker GPU cards.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
3 slot (or at least 2.5-2.7) is definitely a big selling point. Maybe it’d boost the volume too much, but L12S + 3 slot would be very attractive to me. Could there be a way to have a separate side panel which could extend that compartment in addition to the 3 slot spine placement? Or perhaps it’s time to start toying with that water stuff…

Either way, I’m happy that internal 120mm fan mounts are becoming more accepted in this layout. Semi related questions: would a a 240 rad with only one fan outperform a 120 rad, and would that be feasible in this case? Also I might be blind, but where are the 2.5 inch drives going?

Reactions: Bioforce

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
That's another great design, with a chunky alu build with CNC action.
I really like the 2 or 3 slot design system that opens up a lot of possibilities in cooling and GPU choices.

It was all going so well, BUT you have lost the most important design element from the original Sidearmd...the HANDLE. :p

Reactions: Flyingpepper

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
3 slot (or at least 2.5-2.7) is definitely a big selling point. Maybe it’d boost the volume too much, but L12S + 3 slot would be very attractive to me. Could there be a way to have a separate side panel which could extend that compartment in addition to the 3 slot spine placement? Or perhaps it’s time to start toying with that water stuff…

L12S + 3 GPU Slot will make the case about ~155mm wide, at that width, there are more efficient layouts, like the M1. For that reason, the current width at 135mm is the most I would go to maintain layout efficiency.

Either way, I’m happy that internal 120mm fan mounts are becoming more accepted in this layout. Semi related questions: would a a 240 rad with only one fan outperform a 120 rad, and would that be feasible in this case? Also I might be blind, but where are the 2.5 inch drives going?

A 240 rad will need 2x 120x25mm fans, that will make the case 25mm taller (135x235x330, 10.5L), not the most efficient layout.

Using a 240 rad with *single 120mm fan means there will be heat trapped near the motherboard tray, that might be worse for temps.

2.5" drives are mounted between the Front Panel and SFX, will show more details once we have the prototype at CES.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
That's another great design, with a chunky alu build with CNC action.
I really like the 2 or 3 slot design system that opens up a lot of possibilities in cooling and GPU choices.

It was all going so well, BUT you have lost the most important design element from the original Sidearmd...the HANDLE. :p

Will reveal later once I confirm it's doable ;)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I love it!!! Only one comment:

Please, move down the MB and but the fan on top for exhaust.

I repeat this in every thread, the problem with the SFF case is the exhaust :)

Amazing job man!!

Flipping the case, where the two 120x25mm fans are at the top and in exhaust mode works even better.

The SFX bracket is designed that it can flip the PSU orientation as well, so the SFX can exhaust through the top of the case.

Last edited:

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

Looks fresh. Two things, though: could you rotate 180º the radiator? The you way you have it placed the ports are on the opposite part of the block. Also, you will have a very nasty bend by the psu. I think rotating the radiator would fix this and I don't see what problems It should introduce. Well, yes, fans will have same space between them, but other than that...

Also, from a cost stand-point, isn't CNC much epensive than stamped panels? Or is it that for low volumes CNC makes up for it because tooling costs are much reduced?

edit: forgot 2 other points:

a) Fan-filter options?
b) Chance to include some feet? Raising the case would do miracles when the fans are on the bottom as intakes.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Looks fresh.

I was wondering when you are going to show up :)

Two things, though: could you rotate 180º the radiator? The you way you have it placed the ports are on the opposite part of the block. Also, you will have a very nasty bend by the psu. I think rotating the radiator would fix this and I don't see what problems It should introduce. Well, yes, fans will have same space between them, but other than that...

TBD, this is something we have been discussing internally for a while. Once I have the prototype at CES, I will know if this is possible.

You know how radiators have a forehead (G 1/4 ports) and chin, the chin is currently under the motherboard. *Some 120mm radiators can be rotated 180º, it really depends on the total length of the radiator.

That being said, I am routing the 6mm ID / 10mm OD tubes above the PSU and between the Front Panel and PSU into the radiator. For the smaller OD tubes, it's non-issue. For 16mm OD tubes, I don't know yet.

a) Fan-filter options?
b) Chance to include some feet? Raising the case would do miracles when the fans are on the bottom as intakes.

a) magnetic filter between the panel and fans
b) yes, same ones as the A4 and C4

Also, from a cost stand-point, isn't CNC much epensive than stamped panels? Or is it that for low volumes CNC makes up for it because tooling costs are much reduced?

The project will be subsidized by me, so it will be very similar in price with other cases on SFF, but limited in quantity.

Since Apple and other smartphone companies lowered their order quantity for 2019, there is surplus CNC and anodizing capacity. There is a real probability that I can get high quality CNC and Space Gray in one go. I been waiting for years to do this.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Do you have plans for case feet? It looks like either orientation would benefit from airflow from the bottom of the case.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Would be nice to see support for slim 120mm fan on the top/bottom depending on how your orient it. (The side opposite the 120mm aio/120mm fan)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Would be nice to see support for slim 120mm fan on the top/bottom depending on how your orient it. (The side opposite the 120mm aio/120mm fan)

We already tested the XSPC TX240 20mm thick radiator on the 9900K, it’s not much better than the Koolance 30FPI 120mm radiator.

To support a thin rad will increase case height, thus volume by 0.5L, didn’t make sense for a 3C difference if you consider margin of error could be 1-2C.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Do you have plans for case feet? It looks like either orientation would benefit from airflow from the bottom of the case.

The case feet will be the same ones used on A4 and C4, they are pretty standard.

Optimal orientation depends on dust / noise / cooling expectations.

With the AIO in the bottom of the case, you will have positive pressure = less dusty inside.

However, with AIO on the top, you will have better cooling, where hot air is exhausted right out of the case, with the down side being negative pressure = more dusty inside.