Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
Did anyone build an air cool build in the T1 with strix b550 and nh-l12s?

I'm interested in this board since socket seems to sit lower and the l12s might not interfere with the side strut from the case, I would like to have some confirmation on this.

It might need to remove part of the top plate from the IO but if it solves this issue I might go with this board instead of the gigabyte...
For what it’s worth, I tried it on the Aorus B550i and it wouldn’t fit in any orientation because of the VRM area heatsink and also the Ram I used is too tall. I ended up going with the Big Shuriken 3 which will give similar (if not the same) performance as the L12S once you throw a NF A12x15 on it.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Just finished my build log of the FormD T1 + RTX 3080 FE, Click HERE. Reddit post HERE.
4K benchmarks, power, noise, and my personal optimizations are also included.

Thanks again @Wahaha360 for designing an amazing case to build my first SFFPC with!

I thought that in flipped-case orientation the PSU could be mounted so that it exhausts upwards. Is that correct, and if so did you intentionally choose otherwise?

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
I thought that in flipped-case orientation the PSU could be mounted so that it exhausts upwards. Is that correct, and if so did you intentionally choose otherwise?
My PSU is in standard, not flipped. i opted for this because I had the intention of water cooling my system and standard orientation gave me the most space.
but air cooling had been great and quiet so far so I’m most likely not going to watercool anymore.

Reactions: Bonusround

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
For what it’s worth, I tried it on the Aorus B550i and it wouldn’t fit in any orientation because of the VRM area heatsink and also the Ram I used is too tall. I ended up going with the Big Shuriken 3 which will give similar (if not the same) performance as the L12S once you throw a NF A12x15 on it.

I thought the gigabyte b550i didn't have VRM heatsink problems with l12s... I saw builds in the T1 where they placed the l12s with the heatpipe bends towards the VRM, which makes the cooler sit higher and requires to remove the side strut of the T1 case, but it showed that it fit.

The air cooled build that Brude made also has the gigabyte board with the l12s placed with heatpipes pointing towards the gpu bracket. What do you mean it doesn't fit?

Reactions: itsmichael

JRey

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2020
I thought the gigabyte b550i didn't have VRM heatsink problems with l12s... I saw builds in the T1 where they placed the l12s with the heatpipe bends towards the VRM, which makes the cooler sit higher and requires to remove the side strut of the T1 case, but it showed that it fit.

The air cooled build that Brude made also has the gigabyte board with the l12s placed with heatpipes pointing towards the gpu bracket. What do you mean it doesn't fit?
Brude is able to use the L12S because he’s using LPX RAM, he doesn’t have to worry about RAM height. With my Ripjaws V, any orientation didn’t work for me as the L12S heatpipes/fan either hit the RAM, or hit the VRM heatsink. If I tried to make it work, I’d have to remove the RAM’s heatsinks, buy new RAM, or get a different cooler (which I did).

Reactions: DrHudacris

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Did anyone build an air cool build in the T1 with strix b550 and nh-l12s?

I'm interested in this board since socket seems to sit lower and the l12s might not interfere with the side strut from the case, I would like to have some confirmation on this.

It might need to remove part of the top plate from the IO but if it solves this issue I might go with this board instead of the gigabyte...
Did you check my mega post regarding the L12s and a Gigabyte x570? (Same socket’s height).

I am pretty sure that also the other MB will have issue with the side struts!

BTW, if you mount the L12s in the NOT suggested way from Noctua, so with the end of the pipes facing down, IT FITS WITH the side strut, I’ve personally checked this.

Ferb

Case Bender
New User
Oct 22, 2020
Do the 30 series FE coolers work just fine in this case or should I look at the FTW3 cards? I'm thinking about transplanting my build into the T1 instead hmm.

If I get the 240 EK-AIO, whats the max height RAM I can have in both 2/3 slot mode(s)? (I hope questions are fine here)

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
Do the 30 series FE coolers work just fine in this case or should I look at the FTW3 cards? I'm thinking about transplanting my build into the T1 instead hmm.

If I get the 240 EK-AIO, whats the max height RAM I can have in both 2/3 slot mode(s)? (I hope questions are fine here)
When you have the case in 2 slot mode and offset the PSU to the 3 slot position using the included standoffs, the 30 series coolers perform just fine.

You can get tall-ish RAM (we've had this conversation a few pages back) but I would get lower profile RAM, like corsair LPX so you don't have any problems.

We have a subreddit for these kinds of questions, and chances are you'll find many answers to your questions there.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
Brude is able to use the L12S because he’s using LPX RAM, he doesn’t have to worry about RAM height. With my Ripjaws V, any orientation didn’t work for me as the L12S heatpipes/fan either hit the RAM, or hit the VRM heatsink. If I tried to make it work, I’d have to remove the RAM’s heatsinks, buy new RAM, or get a different cooler (which I did).

lol of course its not going to fit withouot lpx RAM!
I was responding to what you said: "the Aorus B550i wouldn’t fit in any orientation because of the VRM area heatsink."

Did you check my mega post regarding the L12s and a Gigabyte x570? (Same socket’s height).

I am pretty sure that also the other MB will have issue with the side struts!

BTW, if you mount the L12s in the NOT suggested way from Noctua, so with the end of the pipes facing down, IT FITS WITH the side strut, I’ve personally checked this.

Yes, so this is another example where the l12s fits using this board. Thanks.

I was just making sure of this because I have yet to order a motherboard and all of a sudden I read it doesn't fit with b550i VRM heatsink when this was not reported before.

Thanks.

Edit: I don't want to use the non recommended orientation which is heatpipes facing down cuz this impacts temps, I remember reading about it in some reddit thread where someone tried this and temp difference was around 5°

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
This something I've been thinking about, wouldn't this problem be solved if the default orientation of the motherboard was with the GPU bracket placed facing towards where the fans are located instead of the opposite side? this would allow for the best air cooler which is the l12s to face the heatpipes towards the GPU bracket and use the case in the flipped orientation with fans at the top, which is the best config possible...

Instead we end up in a situation where if you want to use the l12s you have to either face the heatpipes in the opposite direction of the fans and have it in the non recommended orientation with fans on top, or the recommended orientation with fans on bottom, both configurations hinders performance. The alternative no compromise which is the l12s heatpipes facing towards ram actually compromises the case having to remove the side strut.

Having the motherboard facing the other way would mean the best config and also not having to remove the side strut.

Ferb

Case Bender
New User
Oct 22, 2020
When you have the case in 2 slot mode and offset the PSU to the 3 slot position using the included standoffs, the 30 series coolers perform just fine.

You can get tall-ish RAM (we've had this conversation a few pages back) but I would get lower profile RAM, like corsair LPX so you don't have any problems.

We have a subreddit for these kinds of questions, and chances are you'll find many answers to your questions there.

My question got largely ignored. It doesn't seem like anyone anywhere is allowing any questions about this case so I think i'll stick with my Sliger case for now. thanks!

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Nah, I'm running the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard in my system.
Brude is able to use the L12S because he’s using LPX RAM, he doesn’t have to worry about RAM height.
This is correct, but I did have to sand down part of my NF-A12x15 fan to clear the VRM heatsink from my motherboard. Images of the mod here and here.
Edit: I don't want to use the non recommended orientation which is heatpipes facing down cuz this impacts temps, I remember reading about it in some reddit thread where someone tried this and temp difference was around 5°
The non-recommended orientation barely effects temps, as I tested this a while back and posted here.

I just upgraded to the 9900K and OCed to 4.8ghz all core (modest I know), and it only hit 84C on synthetic bench runs. Don't let silly orientation "rules" keep you from using a fantastic cooler. Would it be better if it was turned sideways allowing the top fans to pull air through the fin array? Yes. Does it still cool well in the "worst" orientation for it? Yes. ;)