Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
After watching Gamers Nexus teardown of the 3080FE, I'm thinking that removing the silver outer shroud on the 3090FE might give us the clearance we need to squeeze it in the T1 if it won't fit natively.

A side effect being it looks pretty sweet, at least in my opinion for a black T1! Still taken from Gamers Nexus's video, you can see what I'm taking about removing in the lower right hand corner there, what do you guys think?

Didn't Steve say something about the outer shroud providing some benefit to channeling airflow, though? Forgive me if I'm misremembering-- I haven't watched that teardown since before release madness seized my entire being

SpaceCowboy

Cable Smoosher
May 5, 2020
A potentially serious drawback is that around half of the heat of the front fan will be exhausted back into the case, while heating up the rear fan's heatsink fins.
Not sure how this impede the total cooling performance but there is certainly an impact on the cooling of the card as well as other components inside the case.

You could be right about that, but the fan has a ring around the blades there, depending on how close it ends up being to the side mesh, you could get a pretty good seal in theory. In his airflow section, it looks like a bit of that is happening already with the shroud on.

Didn't Steve say something about the outer shroud providing some benefit to channeling airflow, though? Forgive me if I'm misremembering-- I haven't watched that teardown since before release madness seized my entire being

He talks about the outer shroud starting here, seems like it's still up in the air how much function it serves. He does say it gets hot though. From what I can see, it's that fan blade design that's really driving the airflow through the heatsink.

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
You could be right about that, but the fan has a ring around the blades there, depending on how close it ends up being to the side mesh, you could get a pretty good seal in theory. In his airflow section, it looks like a bit of that is happening already with the shroud on.

He talks about the outer shroud starting here, seems like it's still up in the air how much function it serves. He does say it gets hot though. From what I can see, it's that fan blade design that's really driving the airflow through the heatsink.
There's a more glaring issue here that is being overlooked: the PCB secures to the heatsink with 4 screws, the remainder attach to the shroud: 8 attach backplate to shroud and 4 attach the IO bracket to the shroud.

So then you have to ask
1) are 4 screws enough to not torque the PCB too much from the allegedly heavy heatsink?
2) how the hell do you secure it to the case without the IO bracket?! I wouldn't trust just the PCI connector!

SpaceCowboy

Cable Smoosher
May 5, 2020
There's a more glaring issue here that is being overlooked: the PCB secures to the heatsink with 4 screws, the remainder attach to the shroud: 8 attach backplate to shroud and 4 attach the IO bracket to the shroud.

So then you have to ask
1) are 4 screws enough to not torque the PCB too much from the allegedly heavy heatsink?
2) how the hell do you secure it to the case without the IO bracket?! I wouldn't trust just the PCI connector!

Fair enough, looking back I can see that it'd probably take some doing to get the IO bracket back on there, didn't realize it mounted onto the outer shroud there.

I guess you could trim the outer shroud off at the end opposite the IO bracket without compromising anything, or am I overlooking something again??

From the given dimensions, it seems there's only a few mm discrepancy at most, doing something like this might not even be necessary if it ends up fitting!

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Fair enough, looking back I can see that it'd probably take some doing to get the IO bracket back on there, didn't realize it mounted onto the outer shroud there.

I guess you could trim the outer shroud off at the end opposite the IO bracket without compromising anything, or am I overlooking something again??

From the given dimensions, it seems there's only a few mm discrepancy at most, doing something like this might not even be necessary if it ends up fitting!
Haha if you're trimming shrouds, why not just trim a bit off the other end to have it fit the T1?

(Although the listed length of the card is 312.4mm, exactly the same as the T1 clearance, so it might not be necessary)

Reactions: SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy

Cable Smoosher
May 5, 2020
Haha if you're trimming shrouds, why not just trim a bit off the other end to have it fit the T1?

(Although the listed length of the card is 312.4mm, exactly the same as the T1 clearance, so it might not be necessary)

I'm happy with whatever happens; EK FE block looks just as great as the FE cooler (from the little we've seen) if I end up needing to go that route.

Been waiting for 3000 series and Zen 3 and it's starting to feel real! Still using a 980ti and 4790k in a case that's much too large and have patiently bided my time for years for this, just a bit longer to see what AMD has and see how the thermals shake out!

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
The 3090 is 10% faster by the looks of it

bowman9991

Trash Compacter
Jul 27, 2017
galacticbrain.com

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Is that all?

Looks like it yes. So will not be getting the 3090 after all.
The cooler is a bit of a let down as well, compared to the asus card that runs around 15c cooler on a 3080.
Together with things like a second hdmi 2.1 port, normal 2x8pin connectors the asus card feels like the better one.
interested in the RDNA2 card, which is rumoured to be able to take on the 3090.

bowman9991

Trash Compacter
Jul 27, 2017
galacticbrain.com
Looks like it yes. So will not be getting the 3090 after all.
The cooler is a bit of a let down as well, compared to the asus card that runs around 15c cooler on a 3080.
Together with things like a second hdmi 2.1 port, normal 2x8pin connectors the asus card feels like the better one.
interested in the RDNA2 card, which is rumoured to be able to take on the 3090.

Surprising. Although we should probably wait for the proper reviews. I was thinking of paying extra for the 3090, but not a chance if we're only talking 10%. It's also going to be a lot easier to fit in a T1 too. I didn't think the RDNA2 leaves were promising? I guess we'll see soon enough. My e-whit4e case is arriving in December, so I'm going to wait until all the GPUs and chips from AMD are out too.

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
Hi all, can anyone make a recommendation on the minimum distance between a fan and side panel where noise due to air turbulence isn't an issue? If that minimum distance can't be reached, a fan duct helps to alleviate the noise, right?

TSOF

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2020
Guys, JUST wait 1 or 2 months! Navi will be released, we will see the 3080 20GB price, we will see the 3070 Performance, etc!

100%

This is the only time I have come anywhere close to buying a card at launch - and the only reason I am doing so is because what may turn out to be my favourite game of all time is being released (CB2077) and I want to play it at absolutely the best fidelity I can. Unless you are somewhat fixated on Cyberpunk like I am, it seems mental to not wait a couple of months for all of the Ti variants and Radeon cards to be released.

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
Hi all, can anyone make a recommendation on the minimum distance between a fan and side panel where noise due to air turbulence isn't an issue? If that minimum distance can't be reached, a fan duct helps to alleviate the noise, right?

10-15mm from what I understand and experienced. It's RPM dependent with regards to that range. The lower the RPM, the closer it can be.

From what I understand about ducting, it's more about selecting/controlling airflow than dealing with turbulence. By that I mean, if you want only outside air and no mixing with stagnant internal warm air, you would use a duct. Dan case users are perhaps the most experienced with using ducts on air cooled CPUs.

Reactions: ellroy80

tokes808

Average Stuffer
Aug 24, 2020
I would like to wait 2 months but I am too paranoid on the availability of the 3080 stock and MSRP prices. I will probably fold after a couple weeks especially since I am looking at EVGA XC3. Sad that the ASUS Strix won't fit inside the T1.

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Nhilros

Chassis Packer
Jan 4, 2020
After watching Gamers Nexus teardown of the 3080FE, I'm thinking that removing the silver outer shroud on the 3090FE might give us the clearance we need to squeeze it in the T1 if it won't fit natively.

A side effect being it looks pretty sweet, at least in my opinion for a black T1! Still taken from Gamers Nexus's video, you can see what I'm taking about removing in the lower right hand corner there, what do you guys think?

I mean, what's the problem of fitting the 3080 FE in T1? I did not see any contradictary information that it would not fit even in 2-slot mode.

Reactions: TSOF

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
I mean, what's the problem of fitting the 3080 FE in T1? I did not see any contradictary information that it would not fit even in 2-slot mode.
he specifically said 3090 since it's likely to be a tight fit lengthwise

That said, the shroud is important because the fan over the die works like a mini blower with most of its exhaust exiting through the IO side. Without it, you let a lot of the air back into the case. I'd think shaving the rear of the shroud down would be a better way around.

hetvler

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2019
he specifically said 3090 since it's likely to be a tight fit lengthwise

That said, the shroud is important because the fan over the die works like a mini blower with most of its exhaust exiting through the IO side. Without it, you let a lot of the air back into the case. I'd think shaving the rear of the shroud down would be a better way around.

Do we know how thicc the sidearm is? Might be a valid option to get some sandpaper and possibly mess up a $200 case rather than a $1500 gpu

Reactions: robojim