Concept FormD T1 V2.0

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Mini-ITX/DTX + TRX40 = @ASRock System ?

If anyone can bring us a mDTX TRX40 mobo, it would be ASRock...!

The mITX X299 mobo is the "Little Monster", would that make a mDTX TRX40 mobo the "Slightly Larger Monster"...?!? ;^p

I am over on page one right now, reading thru the thread, since it looks like this is what will take the place of a mITX / mDTX MachOne chassis...?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@Wahaha360 Alright, I have read thru the entire thread, not a lot of details on the actual layout of the chassis, but I guess that will come when it comes?

Since it looks like the mDTX vertical version of the P1 has supplanted the MachOne, I am really hoping the water cooling capabilities remain; namely the 280 radiator up front (original MachOne prototype chassis had the EK Coolstream CE 280, 320mm x 145mm x 45mm) and the single 5 1/4" bay for a pump / reservoir combo unit (the EK SBAY DDC 3.2 PWM with the EK DDC heatsink housing was used in the MachOne prototype). This combination, along with the sandwich design, allowed a really elegant solution to tubing runs; out the pump / reservoir combo & down to the GPU (using the EK terminal with the two swivaling 90 degree fittings on the GPU), down from the GPU to the radiator, up from the radiator to the CPU, & up from the CPU back to the pump / reservoir combo. This plumbing route basically used the pump / reservoir combo & the radiator to cross over from one chamber to the next (GPU side to CPU side and back).

I believe there were some postings in the MachOne thread that alluded to poor overall cooling performance, which I (also believe) were attributed to the intake only fan arrangement. I feel the MachOne layout (Gear Three?) could still work, just add a 140x25mm fan to the back (above the PSU?) to exhaust. This 140x25mm fan would cover both chambers. Moving the PSU forward in the chassis a bit could allow clearance for two 140x25mm fans exhausting out the rear?

A thru-hole for a drain could be implemented in the bottom of the chassis, and this would be plumbed into the lower tubing (going down from the GPU and back to the radiator) run. Filling would be easy enough with the fill port on top of the 5 1/4" bay pump / reservoir combo.

Yeah, I really hope a MachOne style custom loop can be implemented, and the focus is not just on getting a 280 AIO to fit. I want to cool my GPU as well as my CPU!

Cables to the top is a negative to me, unless there is a way to route them all out the bottom back, but that itself leads to issues where you might be making a particular cable too short to reach where it needs to go (since one just ate up a foot or more of cabling to go out the back. BUT! cabling to the top also means a GPU with a blower can exhaust up, rather than down (where the heat would get trapped under the chassis).

But I guess the whole cables to the top or bottom thing is a moot point, as the chassis will be designed to flip either way?

My Crosshair VIII Impact mobo is sitting in a Lian Li TU150 chassis right now, which works, but I really, Really, REALLY want a full custom loop with a cool air in the front / hot air out the back airflow. A thought while thinking of how to maintain a positive pressure chassis; if rear I/O is to the top, then a third 140x25mm fan could be added as bottom intake; three 140s in (two thru the rad) > two 140s out? Or, obviously, if there is a single 140x25mm fan as rear exhaust, then the two front intakes (even thru the radiator) will be enough to maintain proper positive pressure?

Looking forward to the progression of this chassis @Wahaha360 !

EDIT TO ADD: Regarding PCIe riser cables. I would hope we see a quality Gen 4 capable riser cable with the chassis. I know GPUs do not fully utilize a Gen 4 connection yet, but having a riser cable that is compatible with current AMD X570 systems & any forthcoming Gen 4 systems for either Team Red or Team Blue / Green (once they get around to going Gen 4) would be nice...

Last edited:

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
there is a reason why vertical case has bigger volume. either it comes on top or bottom, there will be an extra volume allocated for the wires to be hidden (if it is on top) or for case to be lifted (if it is on bottom)

Reactions: Metroversal

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Agreed. Cables on top is a net negative. Unclean. Might be moot if case orientation is agnostic.
You'll be able flip the case 180 degrees, so yes, orientation is agnostic.
Cables will be hidden where the solid aluminum is, so nothing protruding out.

Reactions: DmanX

Sen

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
sen.lol
Very excited to see how this case goes! I thought I'd be a no-brainer for getting a T1 since following the project in 2018, but vertical cases are a bit of a siren song to me right now. Looking forward to seeing the internal renders!

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Cables on top can be very convenient, especially for under-desk use. The cables exit closer to their destinations and are off the floor. The look will be clean if topped with a cap – see Silverstone's FT03s for reference.

Cables-on-bottom might look slightly cleaner on-desk, but you pay the price in needing to tilt/flip/move the case every freaking time you want access. The G4 Cube was beautiful but a PITA for this reason. NZXT have done the same with their awful H1.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I prefer cables on top as long as there is a cover. It also provide more reason to go clean look by having no IO ports on the body

Amathophobia

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020
If the end design was more like the nzxt 500i inspired rendering you could cnc a slot/hole in the bottom solid base for your cables to come out of in the back. Makes it cleaner looking and lowers the chance of it accidentally tipping over. Just make the base screw on like a ghost s1 tophat so you can retain the option to flip the case.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Since it looks like the mDTX vertical version of the P1 has supplanted the MachOne, I am really hoping the water cooling capabilities remain; namely the 280 radiator up front (original MachOne prototype chassis had the EK Coolstream CE 280, 320mm x 145mm x 45mm) and the single 5 1/4" bay for a pump / reservoir combo unit (the EK SBAY DDC 3.2 PWM with the EK DDC heatsink housing was used in the MachOne prototype). This combination, along with the sandwich design, allowed a really elegant solution to tubing runs; out the pump / reservoir combo & down to the GPU (using the EK terminal with the two swivaling 90 degree fittings on the GPU), down from the GPU to the radiator, up from the radiator to the CPU, & up from the CPU back to the pump / reservoir combo. This plumbing route basically used the pump / reservoir combo & the radiator to cross over from one chamber to the next (GPU side to CPU side and back).

I believe there were some postings in the MachOne thread that alluded to poor overall cooling performance, which I (also believe) were attributed to the intake only fan arrangement. I feel the MachOne layout (Gear Three?) could still work, just add a 140x25mm fan to the back (above the PSU?) to exhaust. This 140x25mm fan would cover both chambers. Moving the PSU forward in the chassis a bit could allow clearance for two 140x25mm fans exhausting out the rear?

My Crosshair VIII Impact mobo is sitting in a Lian Li TU150 chassis right now, which works, but I really, Really, REALLY want a full custom loop with a cool air in the front / hot air out the back airflow. A thought while thinking of how to maintain a positive pressure chassis; if rear I/O is to the top, then a third 140x25mm fan could be added as bottom intake; three 140s in (two thru the rad) > two 140s out? Or, obviously, if there is a single 140x25mm fan as rear exhaust, then the two front intakes (even thru the radiator) will be enough to maintain proper positive pressure?

I have not finalize the layout, but I don't want to make the case too big, so 3x 140mm fans is unlikely to work in any elegant way.

I might do 2x 140mm fan and slim fan exhaust. However, depending on the layout / airflow, 3rd and 4th fan prob won't make 2C difference, in which case, I rather not increase size for such minimal benefit.

Cables to the top is a negative to me, unless there is a way to route them all out the bottom back, but that itself leads to issues where you might be making a particular cable too short to reach where it needs to go (since one just ate up a foot or more of cabling to go out the back. BUT! cabling to the top also means a GPU with a blower can exhaust up, rather than down (where the heat would get trapped under the chassis).

But I guess the whole cables to the top or bottom thing is a moot point, as the chassis will be designed to flip either way?

Yes, designed to be flipped, as Metroversal put it, orientation agnostic.

EDIT TO ADD: Regarding PCIe riser cables. I would hope we see a quality Gen 4 capable riser cable with the chassis. I know GPUs do not fully utilize a Gen 4 connection yet, but having a riser cable that is compatible with current AMD X570 systems & any forthcoming Gen 4 systems for either Team Red or Team Blue / Green (once they get around to going Gen 4) would be nice...

There will be traditional mounting support, b/c riser is not ideal for some situations.

Reactions: Amathophobia

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
So, I know the overall drive seems to be towards a vertical case. However, for those with ultrawide/multi-monitor setups, this may mean having to put the case behind monitors or under the desk, which would be awfully sad, unless there was a way to lay it on its side.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
So, I know the overall drive seems to be towards a vertical case. However, for those with ultrawide/multi-monitor setups, this may mean having to put the case behind monitors or under the desk, which would be awfully sad, unless there was a way to lay it on its side.

This case is worth getting a longer desk for =) if you are concerned about that, then you should look for another case though.

trongod

Efficiency Noob
Feb 1, 2019
I guess this ended up being vertical. Well I'm out. Anything taller than my monitors is a non starter. All of these trash can cases are just a turn off to me. Lower volume is more interesting to me than having to add more volume to account for bent up cables.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I've just been pointed towards this case from the T1 thread and I think I'm in love. Originally I was thinking I would have to settle between the space but bad temps of the H1 or the size but lower compatibility of the T1, but with a P1 I wouldn't have to make either concession!

For the record, you can throw my vote behind vertical orientation in either black or the silver base + black mesh/top (?) design.

I know there's the pandemic right now and even after that, the T1 is probably the priority, but I will be doing everything I can to hold out until I can have a P1 + 30-series Nvidia card sitting pretty on my desk.

Is there anything else that's still undecided we can provide feedback/input on?

Reactions: Sen