Prototype first diy prototype DIY

Rom29292

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Hello first of all I would like to congratulate this community for sharing it has been 3 years since I linked you in the shadows without really participating and you had taught me a lot!
and addicted to the SFF.

A few months ago I tried to make my first SFF unit inspired mainly by the "Nouvolo Steck" for its structure and the Sidearmd T1 for its layout.
Unfortunately the laser cuts of my perforations were very deformed (aluminum 1,5 mm shade 5754H111)
And some of my folds a bit offbeat (medium quality manual folder)
So today I come to ask your advice!

-Do you think in 2 or 3 mm but the panel will they still be deformed with the cutting process?
-Which aluminum grade would be better for this kind of laser cutting?
-I would like later styler new side panels Steck do you know Cnc factories in "Europe" that can do this kind of work without deformation at the right price?

I enclose photos of my old work and thank you in advance for your advice.
(my mother tongue and French I hope you would understand me)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Hello first of all I would like to congratulate this community for sharing it has been 3 years since I linked you in the shadows without really participating and you had taught me a lot!
and addicted to the SFF.

A few months ago I tried to make my first SFF unit inspired mainly by the "Nouvolo Steck" for its structure and the Sidearmd T1 for its layout.
Unfortunately the laser cuts of my perforations were very deformed (aluminum 1,5 mm shade 5754H111)
And some of my folds a bit offbeat (medium quality manual folder)
So today I come to ask your advice!

-Do you think in 2 or 3 mm but the panel will they still be deformed with the cutting process?
-Which aluminum grade would be better for this kind of laser cutting?
-I would like later styler new side panels Steck do you know Cnc factories in "Europe" that can do this kind of work without deformation at the right price?

I enclose photos of my old work and thank you in advance for your advice.
(my mother tongue and French I hope you would understand me)

The problem with laser cutting thin aluminum is associated with its reflectivity, thermal conductivity and temper. Thicker aluminum wont necessarily help in either of those departments as you'll still have a heat affected zone. You might want to look and see if anyone has a CnC router service or even water-jet cutting with post electropolishing.

If you are locked into laser cutting, you'll want to look into what type of laser is being used and what pre-processing techniques might help for that spectrum in particular. As far as series and temper, in general you'll want to pick a series with a more dull finish and less aging to minimize the HAZ.

Rom29292

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Hello, thank you for your response,
I will turn to the technique "water jet with post-electropolishing." and another manufacturer because the current one does not answer any of my questions
and only has the shade 5754H111 at a high price.
I have no information about their laser and their pretreatment procedure.