SFF.Network FINSix Charging Away at CES

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
I'm actually really excited to see this finally coming to the market. It's great to see that we can now get laptop power adaptors that are half the size and a third the weight with any compromises in performance. The added USB port is also super nice.

Reactions: Phuncz and 3lfk1ng

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've been in contact with FinSix for the past several months and hopefully the next project on the table will be a much higher wattage implementation of this technology. I'm rooting for 450W, at < 0.25L (1/4 the size of SFX-L) if the size reductions are in line with what they claim.

Reactions: Soul_Est and EdZ

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Ya, they said they were working on something big but didn't want to discuss figures or specs while it's still in design.

They shared very little about what they are working on but the technology was their and apparently sales of their current units are pretty good.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah they've been pretty tight lipped with me as well. That being said, I've talked to both them and Transphorm USA about GaN power supplies for AC-DC conversion. They both told me independent of one another that I could expect a 75% reduction in size of the AC-DC unit by using GaN and efficiency in excess of 95% regardless of load (efficiency curve is for all intents and purposes flat regardless of % load). Combined with a 95% efficient DC-DC solution, you're looking at performance that rivals or exceeds 80 plus Titanium. This is absolutely amazing technology.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
It's a 2.1a USB as well.
Yep! That way you can quickly charge your USB C and your non USB C phone without additional dongles :D
Yeah they've been pretty tight lipped with me as well. That being said, I've talked to both them and Transphorm USA about GaN power supplies for AC-DC conversion. They both told me independent of one another that I could expect a 75% reduction in size of the AC-DC unit by using GaN and efficiency in excess of 95% regardless of load (efficiency curve is for all intents and purposes flat regardless of % load). Combined with a 95% efficient DC-DC solution, you're looking at performance that rivals or exceeds 80 plus Titanium. This is absolutely amazing technology.
That sounds ridiculously awesome! I'm just hoping that pricing will stay manageable. Maybe this'll mean that we can finally switch away from DC-DC PSU + AC-DC external blocks for super small SFF PCs without compromising on performance .

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Right now the cost is prohibitively high because it's new tech. Transphorm USA actually sells a development 250W PSU that would work incredibly well for our sort of applications, but it runs between 400 and 500 USD depending on volume. That being said I presume each one is hand assembled by someone of high technical know how which means labor costs and expertise are probably a large part of that.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Would love to see an AC/DC 12v PSU that is 25x50x150mm that can handle 300w passively. Then i could fit it right in front of the motherboard on a S4 Mini. Don't even need it to be ATX, just a single 12v rail.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would love to see an AC/DC 12v PSU that is 25x50x150mm that can handle 300w passively. Then i could fit it right in front of the motherboard on a S4 Mini. Don't even need it to be ATX, just a single 12v rail.

You could get close with one of these: http://www.vicorpower.com/ac-dc/converters/isolated-ac-dc-converter-pfc *

Get one that outputs 24V and run that to the upcoming 160W direct-plug unit from HDPLEX for the motherboard. It's $200 though.

*some assembly required

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yes they are. It will be called the HDPlex Plugless DC-DC 160 or something along those lines, but should comfortably handle up to 200W if needed. Input voltage last I heard was going to be 16-24V like the rest of their lineup.