Image Credit: All images in this story are from Necere or Wahaha360 via the Hard Forums NCASE M1 thread, unless otherwise noted.
This is the first story in a multi-piece endeavor to cover a case that changed the industry. Wherever possible, I attempted to let the quotes speak for themselves. To that end, they have been quoted without editing, and as exactly as modern formatting will allow.
The Launch of the NCASE M1
Written By Revenant
SFF.Network Editorial Staff Member

ALL GOOD THINGS…
The legendary NCASE M1, born from a seemingly random forum thread on small sub-form of Hard OCP, on September 15, 2012, is no more. It started as someone looking to make a variation of a Silverstone case, and ended with possibly the most iconic case in the Small Form...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Dang, great job scraping all those old H posts. I thought them all lost when Bennett went to Intel.

Great write up, I remember it from being there 😆

Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Dang, great job scraping all those old H posts. I thought them all lost when Bennett went to Intel.

Great write up, I remember it from being there 😆

Thank you!

Me too LOL, though I was mostly lurking at the time. I think I show up around the 2nd batch.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome article ! I also remember being at the forfront of it all, it was amazing times for an SFF enthusiast that had options you could count on one hand to finally have an amazing new option that blew everything out of the water.

Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Awesome article ! I also remember being at the forfront of it all, it was amazing times for an SFF enthusiast that had options you could count on one hand to finally have an amazing new option that blew everything out of the water.

It still is an amazing case IMHO. Apparently some people have told Necere that it looks old and ugly. I don't get it. It looks clean and refined to me. Iconic even. To each their own though. I really can't wait to see what they come up with to replace it.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
It still is an amazing case IMHO. Apparently some people have told Necere that it looks old and ugly. I don't get it. It looks clean and refined to me. Iconic even. To each their own though. I really can't wait to see what they come up with to replace it.
It follows the Lian Li industrial design of old a bit--which is a good thing. Very functional, understated, and classy. It is/was its own thing and not trying to copy anything and everything else that comes along. It took a long while, and experimenting, then sandwich layout to find a more volumetrically optimized layout than NCase...which everyone else summarily jumped in on...when that ran its course, the vertical-format took off and everyone is jumping in on it.

All these years later, you can still find an NCase and know exactly what it is, and name it at a glance.

Shoot. I'd perk NCase for the naming trend of most of the big name SFF cases. M1 was there first...thereafter we had S1, and T1, and H1, and iQunix, and so on.

Last edited:

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016
Agreed! I still think the case looks great, but perhaps I'm biased as I'm still using the v3 as my main case!