Cooling Fans for new case help

bcemail

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Hi, first time post and build but I’ve read a lot of great info here, so thanks. I’m currently downsizing my pre-built PC into a Raijintek Thetis case, and trying to determine what kind of cooling I need. The PC is for home use, light photo editing, and simple games (strategy, arcade shooters, etc.), so nothing I’m too worried about causing overheating. It will have a Ryzen 7 1700 with the stock Wraith Spire cooler and a GTX 1050 Gaming that has the two fans on it.

The case has one 120mm fan on the back, and space for 2x120mm on the top and 1x120mm on the bottom. It is an inverted design, so my GPU fans will be blowing toward the top of the case. The CPU cooler will be blowing toward the side panel, but plenty of space in between (Wraith is about 70mm high, and case has clearance of 150mm listed).

How many fans do I need, and which way should they be pointing? I’ve read some people say to make the top fans blow out to exhaust the GPU air. I’ve also seen some people say the opposite, in order to push fresh air toward the GPU and CPU. Do I need a bottom fan for extra air? The sides and front are solid aluminum, so not much airflow there, but there is a small mesh area on the back above the fan, and obviously the top and bottom have openings.

Since I’m not really pushing the system, I’m not sure how much I need, and want to keep things as quiet as possible.

For mobo connections, my manual lists one “processor-fan cable connector,” one “front chassis fan connector,” and one “chassis fan connector”. They all look like they are 4 pin. Do I use them all, or daisy-chain my fans into one of them? Can all PWM fans be daisy-chained? I saw some Arctic ones that are designed for that. Not sure which fans I’m getting, as the more I need, the less I can spend on each one.

Sorry for how long this got! Thanks so much for all the help!