Discussion External portable UPS (3 Minutes) solutions for sffpc?

Rootzero

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
I am building my dan a4 build with

R9 5950x
Rx 480
Asus x570i
Sf750
Asetek 645lt aio

I am looking for a portable external ups I can carry which will give me 3 to 5 minutes of back up (my build plus my usb 3 asus monitor) just so I can properly shut down.

My research found
PicoUPS
HDplex plus 24v power bank

Unfortunately I don't understand any of it and I don't have experience in electric components.

I have looked into some ups but most of then are too big and heavy.

What are my options?
Some starting point would be appreciated.

Last edited:

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Hi,

Had to dig out my browsing history, I'm not a guru in electronics but I was looking for something similar not too long ago.

Good starting points would be:
  • how much power does your PC draw?
  • How much is it likely to draw when you switch from mains to UPS? If SF750 is your PSU, it will be difficult to find something at similar wattage
  • How big and heavy do you need it?

I found https://www.hampshiregenerators.co....GnqgkMHWW27VlBVmXGtkyBTvvwXIWu28aAldtEALw_wcB some time ago - easy with 240V sockets, but it's still bulky and 480W.

Power banks usually have max 100W, some new PD models have 120W. Not sure how variable output voltage from PD would work with a DC-ATX plug-in PSU, though.

You can google "AC power bank", but they're usually around 100W, too.

Energizer Powerstation is with one AC output, but it's 150W.

PicoPSU and similar are 12V. There are some up to 600W, but you'd still need a very reliable 12V "brick". I couldn't find any 12V UPS' at ~500W, though.

HDPLEX need 16-24V + external brick. With a bit of soldering you can use a range of laptop chargers or some 24V bricks, but again depends how much power you need. You'd still need a 16-24V UPS/power bank, but you'll lose power on step-up/step-down depending how far from 19V your UPS/power bank is.

There's definitely a niche to fill ;)

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/yet-another-portable-pc-laptop-thingy.16409/ - may give you some DIY ideas, too