Concept Expandable itx case idea

UnnoTed

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Recently i have been looking at the K39 itx case 3.98L and the only thing that it seems to lack (IMO) is a bit of space for fans, hard drives and optionally a bigger gpu, about nearly 3 years ago i suggested a expandable itx case to corsair but haven't heard anything about it since... ( http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=844331 )... but now i just had another idea of a different and better design with the same goal.

TL;DR it is a k39 with space for slim fans (15mm / 1.5cm) on top and front, with possibility to expand by using 4 mini cylinders (being sealed/hydraulic is not required) so that a bigger gpu can fit without having to get a bigger case.

Below you can see how a k39 looks like:

And here is my idea:

This kind of cylinder may cost about 1-10 usd each...

Last edited:
Reactions: cleveland

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Recently i have been looking at the K39 itx case 3.98L and the only thing that it seems to lack (IMO) is a bit of space for fans, hard drives and optionally a bigger gpu, about nearly 3 years ago i suggested a expandable itx case to corsair but haven't heard anything about it since... ( http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=844331 )... but now i just had another idea of a different and better design with the same goal.

TL;DR it is a k39 with space for slim fans (15mm / 1.5cm) on top and front, with possibility to expand by using 4 mini cylinders (being sealed/hydraulic is not required) so that a bigger gpu can fit without having to get a bigger case.

Below you can see how a k39 looks like:

And here is my idea:

This kind of cylinder may cost about 1-10 usd each...
Unless you're planning on repeatedly and frequently expanding and shrinking the case, the cylinders strike me as unnecessary. Without some sort of locking mechanism they'd also make it scary easy to mash your fans into your GPU, or your SFX PSU into everything else. Other than that, I like the idea, even if you need to account for maintaining rigidity in the case (the expanded version will sag dramatically in the middle when filled with components).

A simpler and potentially more durable solution: replace the cylinders with threaded rods, attached in a way that allows for rotationon one end to one half of the case and screwed into a matching nut on the end of the other case half. Leave the end of the rod accessible from outside of the case (or behind a removable panel), and use a hex wrench or similar to expand the case. Not quite as easy to use, but far more secure, and it's not like you'll need to expand and contract this on the fly anyhow.

UnnoTed

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Unless you're planning on repeatedly and frequently expanding and shrinking the case, the cylinders strike me as unnecessary. Without some sort of locking mechanism they'd also make it scary easy to mash your fans into your GPU, or your SFX PSU into everything else. Other than that, I like the idea, even if you need to account for maintaining rigidity in the case (the expanded version will sag dramatically in the middle when filled with components).

A simpler and potentially more durable solution: replace the cylinders with threaded rods, attached in a way that allows for rotationon one end to one half of the case and screwed into a matching nut on the end of the other case half. Leave the end of the rod accessible from outside of the case (or behind a removable panel), and use a hex wrench or similar to expand the case. Not quite as easy to use, but far more secure, and it's not like you'll need to expand and contract this on the fly anyhow.

Today i found a case that works kinda like you described but it leaves a open area.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...iltration-internal-psu-4l-fast-shipping.9681/

I think that just a ball bearing drawer slider would be enough as it can be found easily, holds a lot of weight, prevents vertical movement and some has locks.