Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Hello @diceboii13

Honestly, I think that you should make a proper case for 2 rads and forget about the option to slide the top and bottom for no rads (it will be a lot of work and won't be perfect at the end). It is best to have something perfect : 'mini itx case for custom loop with 2 rads' (which has never been done properly) than a case that can do 2 things but not perfectly. So my advice to you would be to choose one of the two. I think that the SFF community tend to be perfectionnist so to appeal to them, I would create the perfect mini ITX case for custom loop with 2 rads and forget the other option.

You will ease the manufacturing process, the understanding of your project would be focus on a simple idea and you would be the first to do it perfectly.

I like your project and still interested to give you my money :)

Good luck for your project !
Thanks for the help! Honestly, I try to find a solution first for this, but if its to complicated and not perfect I will do something like that. But I dont want to give up on this!

greg.chalk

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2018
Hello @diceboii13

Honestly, I think that you should make a proper case for 2 rads and forget about the option to slide the top and bottom for no rads (it will be a lot of work and won't be perfect at the end). It is best to have something perfect : 'mini itx case for custom loop with 2 rads' (which has never been done properly) than a case that can do 2 things but not perfectly. So my advice to you would be to choose one of the two. I think that the SFF community tend to be perfectionnist so to appeal to them, I would create the perfect mini ITX case for custom loop with 2 rads and forget the other option.

You will ease the manufacturing process, the understanding of your project would be focus on a simple idea and you would be the first to do it perfectly.

I like your project and still interested to give you my money :)

Good luck for your project !
I 100% agree.

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
+1 for perfect itx case for 2 rads with waterplate and no any options.
There was a lot of itx cases for 1 rads. In some U can do 2 rads but with a lot of pain.

Last edited:

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
I think I'd prefer a solution in which you can't see through the non-distro plate part.
After all, all you could see would be the radiator. Not really special. If you'd use two parts to reach this goal it would even be possible to use the case fully extended (with additional plate) or fully closed. A win-win if you want to keep the extendability of the case.

Is extending the design of the distroplate to cover the whole front too complicated? Would it be more succeptible to leaks? Because personally I think that would be the most stylish variant.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
I think I'd prefer a solution in which you can't see through the non-distro plate part.
After all, all you could see would be the radiator. Not really special. If you'd use two parts to reach this goal it would even be possible to use the case fully extended (with additional plate) or fully closed. A win-win if you want to keep the extendability of the case.

Is extending the design of the distroplate to cover the whole front too complicated? Would it be more succeptible to leaks? Because personally I think that would be the most stylish variant.
Yeah its really complicated :(
What if the parts where the radiators will be, is frosted acrylic, where you cant see through?

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
Yeah its really complicated :(
What if the parts where the radiators will be, is frosted acrylic, where you cant see through?
Hard to say. Would need to see that in real.

By the way: front IO would indeed be nice (so not a must have for me)

Skullassfreak

Cable Smoosher
Apr 19, 2019
What if you made 2 extra bends in the top/bottom pieces. Essentially you'd have a cube of sorts (rectangular prism) with 5 faces.

If opened all the way it would cover the space and if lowered it could fit possibly inside the case but more probably over the distro plate and io shield

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
What if you made 2 extra bends in the top/bottom pieces. Essentially you'd have a cube of sorts (rectangular prism) with 5 faces.

If opened all the way it would cover the space and if lowered it could fit possibly inside the case but more probably over the distro plate and io shield
Its not possible, because it will be too tall to hide behind or front of the distro, or the IO shield. But I will solve it, after we figure out how we can manufacture it in the best way.

Reactions: bricemx

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Sorry for the inactivity guys, I was busy in the last days, but I have some good news! @alauder and me can cooperate in this work. He will be the manufacturer and also my partner in this story, and we are on the way to figure out how to make the case in the most cost effective, but also the most quality way.

Also, performance-computer.com reached me, so there will be a detailed test about the performance of the case (maybe in this month). Im really hyped about it!

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Sorry for the inactivity guys, I was busy in the last days, but I have some good news! @alauder and me can cooperate in this work. He will be the manufacturer and also my partner in this story, and we are on the way to figure out how to make the case in the most cost effective, but also the most quality way.

Also, performance-computer.com reached me, so there will be a detailed test about the performance of the case (maybe in this month). Im really hyped about it!

GO GO GO !!! ?

Reactions: diceboii13

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Congrats @diceboii13 and @alauder! That's really exciting news! As someone who's got a case made by Andy I can not wait to see more these introduced as the quality is sensational!

I don't need a second ITX case, but I'd buy one of these to support you both and I just adore distro plates haha

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Congrats @diceboii13 and @alauder! That's really exciting news! As someone who's got a case made by Andy I can not wait to see more these introduced as the quality is sensational!

I don't need a second ITX case, but I'd buy one of these to support you both and I just adore distro plates haha
Thank you very much! And who knows maybe you will be sucked by the custom loops ?

Reactions: Tazpr

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Long time ago when I worked with Blender, but now it payed off. They are not prefect, and take a lot time to render, but I hope you like it!

You just need to imagine the vented frontpanel on the 2nd picture, because its not final jet. Also the last picter shows how it looks when we cover the holes both front and back, with a bigger front distro, and a bigger back IO panel. The expands will be fixed (25mm for fans only, 56mm for AIOs and 240 rads, and 65mm for 280 rads) The only thing I forgot, is to make the top of the distro frosted, because it looks much better with it. Its not a 100% sure we still need to talk with @alauder about it. If I manage to not f*ck up my blender saves you will get more renders..lol

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Long time ago when I worked with Blender, but now it payed off. They are not prefect, and take a lot time to render, but I hope you like it!

You just need to imagine the vented frontpanel on the 2nd picture, because its not final jet. Also the last picter shows how it looks when we cover the holes both front and back, with a bigger front distro, and a bigger back IO panel. The expands will be fixed (25mm for fans only, 56mm for AIOs and 240 rads, and 65mm for 280 rads) The only thing I forgot, is to make the top of the distro frosted, because it looks much better with it. Its not a 100% sure we still need to talk with @alauder about it. If I manage to not f*ck up my blender saves you will get more renders..lol

These look awesome!

But why the 65mm? A 45mm Radiator + 25mm fan = 70mm, so I'm not sure what the difference between 56mm and 65mm gets you. Are there 40mm radiators that significantly outperform their 30mm counterparts?

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
These look awesome!

But why the 65mm? A 45mm Radiator + 25mm fan = 70mm, so I'm not sure what the difference between 56mm and 65mm gets you. Are there 40mm radiators that significantly outperform their 30mm counterparts?
Thanks! 65 is the max expand, but I will find out is 70 reachable or not.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Thanks! 65 is the max expand, but I will find out is 70 reachable or not.
Thanks, I guess I'm just confused at the 65mm number, since I don't see how its' much better than 56 (which allows 30mm+25mm fans), unless there's some radiator thickness difference I'm not thinking of.

I did some checking and XSPC's EX280 radiator is 36mm thick radiator that's well regarded, but even that plus fans only requires 61.

Reactions: bricemx

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
If case is 160mm wide, please allow support for 3 pci-e slots as is in Sliger cases. For installation second vga or soundcard.

And any option for PSU rotation? Cables up, cables down.