Enclosure Exclusive First Look: JONSBO V8 Case

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
As promised, I ordered the JONSBO V8 to check it out for the community.

Before you are asking: it is only available in China for now. Not sure when it will be available globally but it will. Sooner or later (multilingual quick start guide included!). Same goes for the price: I paid CNY 600,- (ca. USD 85,-) but I guess the global selling price will be in the range of EUR / USD 150,- when it´s released.

So, lets start and show some pictures!

Packing

The case is well packed without to much fuss: outer carton, plastic bag, foam on the sides. Multilingual quick start guide and some screws / accessories.

Size and first impression

This case is a tank! It feels super solid and heavy when you take it out of the box. And it is BIG (in terms of SFF cases). I would say it is about twice the size of my RCC-MID1 case. It's less suitable to put it besides your TV as a subtle gaming rig. But if you have a big desk it will certainly be an eye-catcher.

Build Quality

I had many PC cases in my life but this is my first JONSBO, so I didn't have any positive or negative expectations. I must say, I was just stunned how well it is build. No burrs, no sharp edges smooth brushed and anodized surfaces, tight tolerances, good quality screws. I honestly don't know how they can sell it for that price.

Details

Not only the build quality is great but also the design / engineering aspects. Just for example: ALL the meshed side panels (including the front) are fixed with rubber gaskets and SCREWS! ? Yeah! Actual SCREWS made from real metal! No glue, plastic nubs or friction welding! That is so great for all the modders out there. Want to put some custom panels? No problem!

Internals side view:

Front with 200mm fan (intake)

Removable PSU mount

Sliding mechanism (plastic) of the "core" (super smooth)

What I didn't like

I would have preferred they selling the case a bit more expensive and shipping it with a PWM fan. Or selling it cheaper and not including a fan at all.

Now the most important of all questions: Can the front aluminum panel be removed to improve airflow?

YES, super easy. It even doesn't look to bad and you can still use the front-panel screws to cover the four holes. Just get some M3 nuts and you're done. (and yes, the front is real aluminum. not plastic.)

Ok, that's it for now.

Although I think a thermal test is not necessary with this enclosure I'll probably do it anyways (next week some time).

If you have specific questions, just let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build and Thermal Test Update

Building in the V8 is straight forward but there are a few things I noticed:

• The I/O cutout and the distance of the MOBO to the I/O shield is a bit too large so my I/O shield was sitting very loose
  • JONSBO made a few clever positioned cutouts to reach connectors on your MOBO but then some cutouts like for the PSU cables are a bit too small for my taste
  • The AC power cord comes only with 0.75sqmm wires and its not an elbow style plug. That's just...
  • The GPU shield cutout seems a bit too small. At least with the GPUs I tested I could not use some of the DP connectors.
  • Again, the case is really large. Good thing is, you have lots of space to mod the case and e.g. put some custom liquid-cooling components in.

Size Comparison with
RCC-MID1 Case

Stress Test Thermal Test Results

• 3800X with AXP90 full copper
  • inno3D RTX2080 Super OC
  • All Bios and Fan Settings at Standard
Test 1: Out of the Box configuration
CPU: ΔT 62°C max.
GPU: ΔT 60°C max.

Test 2: Removed front Panel
CPU: ΔT 63°C max.

Test 3: Removed front panel and closed off all side vents
CPU: ΔT 60°C max.
GPU: ΔT 58°C max.

Reference: RCC-BIG1 thermals with same configuration
CPU: ΔT 60°C max.

My personal opinion:

The V8 is a great case for the price I paid and thermals are totally fine the way it is. But my tests have shown that many vents do not necessarily mean better temps. Most of the air coming from the big intake fan is exhausted right away through the vents on the sides of the case so its actually pretty useless unless you would close off the sides and create a real wind-tunnel air flow. I guess some big tower cooler with one exhaust fan at the back or at the top would give you much better results even without connecting the front fan at all. The way the case comes out of the box, the front fan mainly just cools the drive cage and pushes hot air from the PSU further into the case.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That doesn't look bad at all with the front panel removed and I am sure airflow is 1000% better. Great price in China.

Reactions: scatterforce

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
How close is the fan to the mesh?

I think Jonsbo has a real good potential to become a top manufacturer of mass produced SFF cases.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
How close is the fan to the mesh?

I think Jonsbo has a real good potential to become a top manufacturer of mass produced SFF cases.

I don't have my caliper at hand right now but I would estimate something like 8 to 10mm. Can tell you more next week.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with their quality and good ideas. If they would design a similar case like that but vertical and 5L less volume I'll stop developing my own cases. ?

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
Awesome! I'm using a Jonsbo U5 now for my main rig, and build quality is great. It's my 3rd case of theirs. Hard to get in the US as it is. But this does look like a tank and maybe on the hefty size. I'd still like to squeeze my system in and see how it performs though. Thanks for the pictures!

Reactions: REVOCCASES

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Build and Thermal Test Update added to first post.
If you have not dis-assembly the setup, could you do a few tests with a strong 120/140 fan as exhaust at the rear of the case?

Test 1a: Out of the Box configuration (with 120/140mm rear fan)

Test 2a: Removed front Panel (with 120/140mm rear fan)

Test 3a: Removed front panel and closed off all side vents (with 120/140mm rear fan)

I think, a tower air-cooler can provide a quasi tunnel effect when it transmits air from the front of the case to the rear. But, your AXP90 cannot product such an effect. So, the enclosure relies more or less on a positive pressure (created by the front 200mm fan) to expel air all around...not a good idea, IMHO.

Yes, the case is big but I bet its target market is people who are used to using a full tower. So, in their eyes, this case is small enough.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If you have not dis-assembly the setup, could you do a few tests with a strong 120/140 fan as exhaust at the rear of the case?

Test 1a: Out of the Box configuration (with 120/140mm rear fan)

Test 2a: Removed front Panel (with 120/140mm rear fan)

Test 3a: Removed front panel and closed off all side vents (with 120/140mm rear fan)

I think, a tower air-cooler can provide a quasi tunnel effect when it transmits air from the front of the case to the rear. But, your AXP90 cannot product such an effect. So, the enclosure relies more or less on a positive pressure (created by the front 200mm fan) to expel air all around...not a good idea, IMHO.

Yes, the case is big but I bet its target market is people who are used to using a full tower. So, in their eyes, this case is small enough.

Apologies, I already packed it...

Yeah, I know. My setup was probably not the best case scenario for that enclosure or let's say close to something the average user can expect out of the box with a stock cooler. Personally I was mainly interested how it performs compared to my BIG1 design with the same setup. Based on all the thermal tests I did with my cases you can expect CPU temperatures 10 to 15 degrees lower with a big tower cooler and rear exhaust. But again, the front fan is more or less useless to help with CPU and GPU thermals because it pushes all the fresh air right out the side vents and not trough the case out of the back. Some years ago I had a coolermaster case with exactly the same layout/issue. I also thought if I'd remove the front panel and adding a more powerful fan it would be better, but it wasn't. The front fan was fine to keep my HDDs cool but for CPU and GPU it didn't make a difference no matter what I tried.

If I would keep the Jonsbo I would get glass panels plus a good rear exhaust fan and finished. But hey, this case offers so many possibilities for cooling improvements. And like I said you have lots of space if you are going for some fancy custom watercooling loop etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Odd_Fox

HylianSteel

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2019
After seeing your post on reddit, and reading your review here... I went and purchased this case! I'm pretty stoked and I should get it near the end of August if everything goes well. How are the feet mounted? Is it easy to replace if I decide to change them out for better ones later on?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Cool. How much did you have to pay in total?

Not sure about the feet. Honestly didn't check that. But I guess these are also fixed with screws.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I had a Coolermaster case some time ago and wasn't impressed by their quality and design choices. A lot of cheap plastic and thin powder coated steel. No premium feel at all. Not sure if they improved their quality in the meantime. Didn't have the pleasure to check it out. ;)