Power Supply EVGA 450/550/650 GM

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
EVGA makes some fantastic power supplies, so I was really surprised when they announced the GM series.

You can check them out here.

What are your thoughts? With the SF600 Platinum delay, this seems to be a great alternative to the SF600 Gold for high-end builds thanks to its silent ECO mode.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
I ended up getting the 650 because the SF600 Plat was taking too long, and I figure the extra 50W would give me some extra peace of mind in my 9900K/2080 build.

I think it will be noisy compared to Corsair/Silverstone offerings, but my 2080 FE isn't exactly silent so I'll just have to deal with it.

Waffles

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 18, 2018
I ended up getting the 650 because the SF600 Plat was taking too long, and I figure the extra 50W would give me some extra peace of mind in my 9900K/2080 build.

I think it will be noisy compared to Corsair/Silverstone offerings, but my 2080 FE isn't exactly silent so I'll just have to deal with it.

Can you post an update when you're all set up? There are 0 reviews for this PSU and you are the first person I have come across that owns/will own this PSU.

I hope it's not noisy. It has a better fan than both of those companies and 50 extra watts and 30% Eco means the fan shouldn't turn on before 195W. I wonder how big of a difference PWM will make on the new Corsair SF600.

Also if you haven't purchased it yet. Make sure you use their Power Meter on the website for a 10% coupon.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
Can you post an update when you're all set up? There are 0 reviews for this PSU and you are the first person I have come across that owns/will own this PSU.

I hope it's not noisy. It has a better fan than both of those companies and 50 extra watts and 30% Eco means the fan shouldn't turn on before 195W. I wonder how big of a difference PWM will make on the new Corsair SF600.

Also if you haven't purchased it yet. Make sure you use their Power Meter on the website for a 10% coupon.

Ah thanks for the coupon but I already have the PSU on hand. I won't have a chance to put together the build for a couple weeks, but when I do I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Waffles

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
I managed to put my build together just to make sure everything works - so my initial impressions are based on an open NCASE M1.

As I suspected, the fan noise on this thing is not a concern for me because it is completely drowned out by my GPU + CPU coolers during full load. At idle, the fan doesn't come on so it's silent on that front.

However, there is noticeable coil whine coming from this thing at full load. When I close the case up I'm going to revisit and see (or rather - hear) if it's worth trying to get a replacement.

The cables are pretty stiff but I've never owned any other SFX PSU to compare against.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
In case anyone is still following this, I decided to proceed with an RMA... and the second unit also has coil whine.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Does anyone know of any solid SFX PSUs without coil whine issues? I've gone through two 650 GMs and one SF600 Platinum and all three have had varying amounts of coil whine under load. For reference, I'm using a 2080 Ti and have confirmed its the PSU and NOT the GPU. I've also tried swapping PCIe power cables, using multiple cables, etc. to no avail. FWIW, the 650 GM fan is super quiet and the fan curve is really great. I also didn't have any difficulty cable managing in an NCase M1 even with the larger sleeved cables. The coil whine, however, is driving me insane!

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
I managed to put my build together just to make sure everything works - so my initial impressions are based on an open NCASE M1.

As I suspected, the fan noise on this thing is not a concern for me because it is completely drowned out by my GPU + CPU coolers during full load. At idle, the fan doesn't come on so it's silent on that front.

However, there is noticeable coil whine coming from this thing at full load. When I close the case up I'm going to revisit and see (or rather - hear) if it's worth trying to get a replacement.

The cables are pretty stiff but I've never owned any other SFX PSU to compare against.

Per previous, I also had awful coil whine with two different EVGA 650 GM SFX PSU units. I had some coil whine with a Corsair SF600 Platinum as well, but not as bad. I'm going to try cramming the Seasonic SGX-650 into my NCase M1 next. I've had pretty good success with Seasonic PSUs in the past.