Image Credit – ETA PRIME

SFF is getting a bit weird these days and this ETA PRIME test shows one of the weirder setups that makes perfect sense when you think about it. In this instance, he takes the OneXPlayer X1 Mini and connects it to an external GPU in the form of the OnexGPU powered by the AMD Radeon 7600M XT via an OCuLink connection.This tablet meets SteamDeck Windows PC is powered by a Ryzen 8840U. This APU contains a Radeon 780M iGPU. This little embedded GPU has been all the rage lately as it has appeared in everything from handheld gaming PCs to micro SFF systems, and everyone has been extolling it’s impressive...

Continue reading...

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
Re your preamble, I've been having this same conversation with my brother. I was super excited to show off my new 7840HS/780m system, until he showed me the performance from his Kaby Lake G system.

I still can't believe that in 2018 we had a multi chip module embedded device with that performance in a 100W envelope, yet here we are 6 years later getting excited to have the performance of a GTX 1060M. It blows my tiny little brain that AMD didn't capitalise on that technology and build their own mobile CPU plus tiny HBM2-backed dGPU on a single module.

Anyway... now that I'm playing with some eGPU madness again, it definitely makes me appreciate the ease of connecting USB4/TB3 eGPUs in comparison to OCuLink. So what I find really interesting in that review is that ETA Prime seems to connect the eGPU while Windows is running!??