GPU "ENTRY LVL" Which should I get?

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
If I will replace my GPU (Zotac RX 580 4gb) can you guys help me which one of these should I get?

GTX 1650 Super $210
or
GTX 1650 $175

(prices are converted to dollars)
(pls dont suggest getting higher gpus coz in my country they are way expensive)

The reason for replacement is that my 400w 1u Flex psu is overheating and maybe by replacing the 150w hungry RX 580with a lower powered GPU can lessen the temps. also I want to get the advantages of GDDR6 speeds and the turing arc.

I know I can watch youtube benchmarks but I'd like to get opinions from experienced ppl here

specs:
R5 1500x ( will up soon)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
MSI B450i Gaming plus AC
Zotac OEM RX 580 4gb
Metalfish S3

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
The 1650 is much weaker than the RX580 and not worth the money, and the 1650S is marginally better and very expensive where you are. Spend your money on a beefier PSU, order it from outside your country, prepare for the future.

EDIT:
Metalfish have their own 500W offering:

There's also the 600W offering that geeekstore uses), the ENP-7660B, which is quite affordably non-modular with ketchup and mustard cables, not so affordable modular without condiments:

Last edited:
Reactions: scatterforce

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
How do you know your PSU is overheating?

Does it happen only during gaming?

What is the brand, and is it default (stock), or modified in any way?

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
The 1650 is much weaker than the RX580 and not worth the money, and the 1650S is marginally better and very expensive where you are. Spend your money on a beefier PSU, order it from outside your country, prepare for the future.

Thanks a lot for noticing this post, really appreciate it man

yeah im aware that the non super is weaker than the 580. but its okay for me as long as it has the turing arc and gddr6. i think it will last llonger since my zotac 580 is an older card. and I dont really care a lot about great graphics. as long as I can play esports titles like apex, dota 2, cod warzone, overwatch and maybe some AAA titles @75fps its fine with me. and to add, its just a 75w card.

and by the way, my psu is the metalfish and I really wont recommend it. the fan does not spin until you literally push it. but ur right tho. I should get a new PSU also

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
How do you know your PSU is overheating?

Does it happen only during gaming?

What is the brand, and is it default (stock), or modified in any way?
i dont have the right device to get accurate temps of the PSU. BUT it is REALLY hot to the point that it makes the whole case hot. the tip of my finger wont even last 2 sec on it. and this only happens when gaming and the gpu is on load.

the brand is Metalfish
400w

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Note that only the 1650 D6 variant has GDDR6. It originally came with GDDR5. If you're into competitive games, the 1650 and 1650 D6 are really going to be disappointing, frame-wise. If you really prefer getting a GPU over improving your PSU situation, go for the 1650 Super.

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
Note that only the 1650 D6 variant has GDDR6. It originally came with GDDR5. If you're into competitive games, the 1650 and 1650 D6 are really going to be disappointing, frame-wise. If you really prefer getting a GPU over improving your PSU situation, go for the 1650 Super.

thanks for reminding, Im aware of the variants. But just to share, if I dont get enough money for this replacement. Im considering to buy a used EVGA 1050 ti at $100. What do you think? I just cant stand the PSU overheating. then just sell the 580 for return.

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
1050 Ti is even worse than the 1650 with GDDR5. Have you looked at the RX 5500 (non XT)?

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
1050 Ti is even worse than the 1650 with GDDR5. Have you looked at the RX 5500 (non XT)?

yeah absolutely. but I think it could save my system from potentially being toast by this overheating PSU since its just 75w too. still thinkin tho.

5500 happens to be so rare here in my country. which makes the cost higher than it should be. lowest you can find is at $200 or more. the XT one gets about $225. so I just thought that chasing that GDDR6 and turing arc and nvenc will be a better option.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I see Metalfish has mentioned that they’ve replaced the fan that originally came with the 400W power supply.

I would contact them about the overheating and see if they’ll send you a replacement fan.

Unless you’re overclocking your CPU or GPU you shouldn’t be reaching the limits of a 400W PSU.

I don’t think either of the graphics cards you’re considering would be a good upgrade from your current RX580. There are already games out now that aren’t performing well on 4GB cards, so if you want to buy something futureproof you would need to look at at least 6GB and preferably 8GB cards.

With Nvidia launching their next generation cards in a week from now, it’s not a great time to buy. You may be able to get a good deal on a better card just by waiting for Black Friday sales in a few months.

Reactions: Emanski and tinyitx

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
I see Metalfish has mentioned that they’ve replaced the fan that originally came with the 400W power supply.

I would contact them about the overheating and see if they’ll send you a replacement fan.

Unless you’re overclocking your CPU or GPU you shouldn’t be reaching the limits of a 400W PSU.

I don’t think either of the graphics cards you’re considering would be a good upgrade from your current RX580. There are already games out now that aren’t performing well on 4GB cards, so if you want to buy something futureproof you would need to look at at least 6GB and preferably 8GB cards.

With Nvidia launching their next generation cards in a week from now, it’s not a great time to buy. You may be able to get a good deal on a better card just by waiting for Black Friday sales in a few months.

yeah been thinking of that too.

and about the power supply issue, I alrwady contacted the metalfish store about it and yeah, they have crappy warranty service specially I am an overseas customer.

all they say is:

"give me evidence"
"give me video"
"will show this to our technician"
"I will send you new fan"

this kind of answers ticks me off. and yeah I am waiting for the new fan now. I told them I want a new PSU for replacement but they wont agree. But I am trully aware that this is the gamble of buying overseas.

I dont consider this an Upgrade too. Im not upgrading. I just want the GDDR6 and nvenc even tho they are low end cards. I do also think about getting the 6gbs up but my problem is the money. Here, They cost $235 if youre lucky. Will cost you more during this pandemic. that is why I consider the 1650. but atleast I want to get the super.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If the NVENC is important to you then you’ll want to get the 1650 Super. The regular 1650 is using the older Volta encoder, instead of the newer Turing one.

Reactions: Emanski

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
I'll go with @AlexTSG on this: it seems that your real problem is the PSU cooling, since the system don't crash from underpower or thermal protection. If the Metalfish customer service don't solve your issue with a replace fan, consider replacing it yourself. From the photos I've seen the fan uses a regular connector so it will be pretty stright to solve.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm thinking the same as well - by default, as long as it's used within its design parameters & technical limitations, a PSU should not overheat. It gets hot, yes, but should be within operational tolerance.

If a PSU overheats, logically I'll check the fan first. Does it supply enough cool air into the PSU? Can it provide the required airflow and/or static pressure? Is there anything blocking the air intake?

Edit: if I have to choose between those 2 GPUs, I'd go with 1650 super GDDR6, example https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-gtx-1650-super-twin-fan

Emanski

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
thank you so much guys for such great inputs. I appreciate your help. yeah I'd go on to replacing my psu then my gpu. Thanks again