News EKWB slim radiator range

I've just seen pictures of EKWB's new radiator series, Coolstream SE. These are very interesting for SFF builds, since they are not only slim at 26mm depth, but also trim at 120mm wide. The extra shroud length of 40mm is a little more than the plenums of the Darkside LP series, but I think it's a good trade off for having a nice square shape. Not to mention ease of painting.

Here is a preview blog about the SE 360: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/06/15/first-look-eks-new-se-360mm-radiator/

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's indeed a very interesting radiator line !

But why have they done this port-in-port feature ?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That does look really good. No longer do you have to go with questionable unknown-brand radiators off of eBay to get something measurably thinner than 30mm :p

What sizes will this be available in? They couldn't not do a 240mm version, right?

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
Original poster
May 10, 2015
But why have they done this port-in-port feature ?

A design decision. The holes in the shroud would need to be large to accomodate all the different kinds of fittings on the market. However, if they are anything more than about 20mm it would make the structure of the shroud too weak. So they made the holes only 17mm and added those extenders.

I have found that with the PE series, I could file the holes bigger to fit the inner part of a compression fitting. Then the outer ring of the fitting still catches enough of the thread to screw on.

You can see in the following picture the rad on the right I have the fittings directly into the shroud, now painted white to hide my bad filing. While the rad at the top uses rotary fittings with a 17mm base that screw directly into the shroud with no need for filing. And no need for the extenders.