EK Phoenix 240mm - will it fit?

Xender

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Hello!
I am looking for best possible and quiet cooling for my NCase M1 build:
i7 6700k + EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra (3 slots).

Right now I am using Noctua U9S with intake from behind of the case and outlet at the side. I also have two 120mm Scythe slip stream slim fans under GPU. I tried as much as I can to keep this PC with good temps and it is easy to keep GPU at low temps around 65 C but I can't handle CPU. I can keep it at 72-74 C but fans are loud at 1000-12000 RPM.

Of course I don't want to use cheap aluminium + copper AIO and I don't want custom loop also, but... EK Phoenix looks amazing. It is simple as AIO but quality is very high. I think that 240mm Phoenix should be able to keep CPU at reasonable temps, it should even allow for i9 9900k upgrade with reasonable noise level.

What do you think, will it fit?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
It should just fit, if you ignore the advice EKWB gives regarding proper pump orientation...

But between the 68mm thick AIO package, the hoses & their QDC fittings, you will have little room for airflow...

And if you add the GPU in the loop, more hose & another QDC...

Unless you drain the system & redo the plumbing altogether...

I have seen one decent report of an EK AIO going into the M1, but this was with the pump oriented in a way that EK says is a No Go, I have not seen any long-term follow-ups on how this worked out...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Practically speaking, no it won't.

The Phoenix is an updated (and somewhat cheapened) version of the previous Predator series, with which it shares its key dimensions. Here's an M1 build with a Predator crammed inside. It's already too big to fit comfortably and has some issues (can't screw it into the bracket, for one), but notably they replaced the fittings on the rad with right angle fittings to make it work, which I don't believe is possible on the Phoenix due to it being changed to fixed barbs.

Xender

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Ok but I still can try 120mm version right? It should fit and should handle not overclocked CPU pretty well (better than Noctua U9S)?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Ok but I still can try 120mm version right? It should fit and should handle not overclocked CPU pretty well (better than Noctua U9S)?

You might want to consult the NCASE M1 Compatibility Google spreadsheet & see what 120mm AIOs are fitting now, check the dimensions of same & compare to the EK AIO; the pump & mini-tan on the end make it longer than most "pump on CPU" AIOs, and the tubing & QDCs are gonna still be bulky & restrict airflow...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Can you even get it? Doesn't appear to be available on EK's site.

Regardless, I wouldn't really recommend it. Still too big (thickness&width) overall, and the tubing would make it a pain.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Agree, the Predator was a JUST due to being able to swap out fittings etc, and even then a physical nightmare to get in.
The Phoenix with its straight barb fittings makes it a no go. In fact AIO's are tight usually but you can mount the rad on the bracket side to buy yourself some space for the tubing, with the phoenix you dont have this option meaning there would be huge strain on the hoses if you could even get it to fit.

If you wanted a side mount rad, would be likely be better off going with a standard aio or a custom loop with a ddc pump (with no res) or the like.

It is funny I was literally looking at the Phoenix this morning as an option for my setup due to the rad/pump combo, but yeah no joy due to fittings (I was willing to cut things to make it fit physically)

Xender

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Thank you for help. I may consider moving from NCase to something bigger, ATX sized. It is almost impossible to cool 6700k with fans below 1000 RPM and with quiet. :(

From the other hand is EK Phoenix good AIO overall? I am considering cases like Cooler Master SL600M, Lian Li O11 Dynamic, NZXT H700i and I probably will will pickup AIO because huge Noctua cooler will hide a lot of mother board.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Thank you for help. I may consider moving from NCase to something bigger, ATX sized. It is almost impossible to cool 6700k with fans below 1000 RPM and with quiet. :(

From the other hand is EK Phoenix good AIO overall? I am considering cases like Cooler Master SL600M, Lian Li O11 Dynamic, NZXT H700i and I probably will will pickup AIO because huge Noctua cooler will hide a lot of mother board.

Maybe the Fractal Design Define Nano S with a 280 AIO up front...?

Xender

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Maybe the Fractal Design Define Nano S with a 280 AIO up front...?
It is significantly bigger than NCase and design isn't so cool so there completely no point in using it.

I moved to NCase because I needed to take computer with me to flight because recently I am travelling a lot. NCase was small enough for hand luggage and of course NCase looks great ;)

Xender

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
I decided to give a try an cheap AIO. Should I pickup 120mm or 240mm AIO? With 120mm I can have more intake fans and bigger inside pressure of cold air. In case of 240mm only back 92mm fan will pump cold air, and GPU will pump hot air.

I am so annoyed of my current build that I am looking for something which I can receive tomorrow from Amazon.co.uk, for example Corsair H100:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Hydro-Radiator-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B07B68T46Q

Is there any important difference between H100 and H100i and other new versions of this cooler?

or

Cooler Master Masterliquid 120:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-MasterLiquid-Dissipation-MLW-D12M-A20PC-R1/dp/B075XLX31G/

I know that many peoples recommend Kraken but it is superb expensive in comparison with Cooler Master and Corsair but I think still pretty similar cheap AIO design. What do you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Most 240mm AIOs perform similarly, just get one that fits well in the M1, and put good fans on it. I’m using an older, cheap Thermaltake Water v3.0 with two Noctua A12x25s, and it’s cooling my overclocked 9900K (215w) just fine. For your 6700K, even if you overclock, you may be able to run the fans real low for a quiet setup.

Supercluster

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2016
Best performance for low RPM fans (under 800) is in pull configuration. For higher speed fans (say 1200 RPM and up) push might be better. This is all related to the radiator. Relative to the case I would whenever possible use only intake fans and leave holes for passive exhaust. An added benefit is positive air pressure, which helps with dust management.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Should I use radiator fans as intake or outtake from case for best results?
My set up has the radiator fans as intake, with the bottom fans as exhaust. I have an Accelero GPU cooler though, so bottom exhaust may not work for your setup.

Based on your setup with bottom intakes. Here's what you may experience with:

• Side intake, short term (15-30 minutes)
    • cooler CPU
    • cooler GPU
  • Side intake, long term (30+ minutes), due to only passive exhaust, internal space soaked with heat
    • warm CPU
    • warm GPU
    • warm MB, VRM, SSD, PSU, etc
  • Side exhaust
    • CPU will seem warmer than side intake in the short term
    • cool GPU
    • cooler MB, VRM, SSD, PSU, etc than side intake
If you can get some sort of exhaust in your setup, it will help with getting rid of trapped warm air, and side intake may be a viable option.

Xender

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
I may try to use rear 92mm as exhaust and side fans as intake. Probably I will check both solutions.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Can confirm predator fits but only just with right angle fittings and it isn’t pretty. Phoenix would not fit based on my experience with the predator.