Jun 4, 2018

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Interesting idea. Lego cases hold alot of potential. Way back I put together a very basic Lego case for an SBC I was running as a wifi AP, inspired loosely by a Raspberry Pi case & a couple of other DIY projects I had seen. Your use of Technic pieces is full of win though, most lego cases tend to stay w/ the brick and plate method.

Reactions: el01 and Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Interesting idea. Lego cases hold alot of potential. Way back I put together a very basic Lego case for an SBC I was running as a wifi AP, inspired loosely by a Raspberry Pi case & a couple of other DIY projects I had seen. Your use of Technic pieces is full of win though, most lego cases tend to stay w/ the brick and plate method.

Thanks!

Instructions will be coming later this week!
I will add more modular components to the works, such as another section that can be added to support GPUs, as well as modular top venting components. Additionally, tell me if you're interested in a benchtable-style version of this case, I can post conversion suggestions for that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for letting me know about this. As for tips, all I can say is to imagine what you need for your case and build that first. For What The Mac?! , I needed the frame to hold the mainboard, two 2.5" external hard drives, and a power button. The most important part was the frame for the mainboard so I built that first.

Looking forward to seeing what you built so far.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
The GPU extension portion is not limited to only GPUs. Through my testing, here are the configurations:
  • 1 3.5" HDD/maybe a slim fan
  • At least 4 2.5" slim drives
  • A 120mm AIO (fans and rad thickness permitting
  • GPU (of course)
  • External drives
  • Keychains
  • Keys
  • Random s*** from your desk
  • A small board for work or something
The GPU portion should be able (hypothetically) to fit a GTX 1050 Ti Mini from GIGABYTE or any other 2-slot small GPU.
Given the current lack of images, here is a description of the GPU Extension portion:
  • Slots into the existing frame in under 10 minutes
  • High-airflow design with large top vent (a literal hole) and bottom vent (5x7 Technic frames for the whole bottom panel)
  • Extends capabilities beyond GPUs: storage, cooling, or other options!
Here is also a description of the NAS Cages:
  • 3- 3.5" HDD capacity
  • Basic and sturdy
  • Under the case with the GPU extension, you can fit two of these bad boiis.
Pictures are on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Hello all! Here are some updates...
Thanks for letting me know about this. As for tips, all I can say is to imagine what you need for your case and build that first. For What The Mac?! , I needed the frame to hold the mainboard, two 2.5" external hard drives, and a power button. The most important part was the frame for the mainboard so I built that first.

Looking forward to seeing what you built so far.
Updated images are now on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/165204374@N04/albums/72157698120967855

Such an awesome idea, keen for the instructions
Instructions will hopefully be done (in detailed PDF format) by Wednesday of next week (EDIT: Looking back, it was done LAATE...).
PHYSICAL BUILD UPDATES:
Not much, but I did add a few minor features.
First, there is a chassis height raiser kit (very basic) that can be used to increase cooler clearance by around 10 millimeters and adds gaps around all of the sides for additional airflow.
Second, I added a basic stand function to the back, which raises the rear of the case for aesthetics or airflow.
Finally, I have been tinkering with different modular top panels with more or less airflow.

Pics will come tomorrow afternoon, I promise (unless I lose the SD card again ;))

Thanks for your everlasting support!
-el01

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Yup. Best if you upload them to imgur and link from there, @el01 .
You link to the pictures just 404's. And just to you know, you can only view images if you have a Flikr/Yahoo account. You can't just view images there anymore.

OK.. It may have to do with my designation of the images as friends only, I will make them public. In my experience, before I had a Flickr account, public images worked for me. If that doesn't work, I will think about other options (my Google site???). I can't use Imgur because of my landlord and his d***ed firewall (to "protect" his kid). I can, on the other hand, use it on my phone. It will be a janky process, but I will try.

Any other suggestions for image/PDF hosting? Imma try Google sites tomorrow...

Rendering images is an absolute pain on my i5-540M (>-<). At least I am a few steps away from finishing instructions for the carrier frame...

The instructions will not have the same point of view for the photos every time. I tried rerendering a few, but I couldn't get angles exactly right. I didn't realize the view options in Stud.io didn't work until it was too late... Sorry for the very slight inconvenience...

Expect status updates roughly daily! Tomorrow, though, they will be in the afternoon, as I am going hiking with my friends in the morning and getting back for a barbecue in the afternoon.

Either way, expect a PDF of instructions on somewhere by Wednesday!

PT2:
https://strawpoll.com/dedgfw39 (please answer so I can gauge interest)
Instructions are currently on schedule and will appear late on Wednesday or potentially on Thursday via a shared Google Sites link. The instructions are for the base case only, with no modifications or add-ons except for a page of structural rigidity suggestions. Those will appear in a separate instructions booklet available by the end of next week. Part alternatives will be listed on the Google Sites link as well.

Flickr images will be made public by 10:00 PM today. (are now public)
-el01

Thanks!
-el01

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
https://strawpoll.com/dedgfw39 (please answer so I can gauge interest)
Instructions are currently on schedule and will appear on Wednesday via a shared Google Sites link. The instructions are for the base case only, with no modifications or add-ons except for a page of structural rigidity suggestions. Those will appear in a separate instructions booklet available by the end of next week. Part alternatives will be listed on the Google Sites link as well.

Flickr images will be made public by 10:00 PM today.
-el01
The PCC-001 instructions booklet will also have another page of a suggested mod to improve picoPSU clearance, due to the potential for PSU-side panel interference on the original model (I do not own a picoPSU, so I could not test). Compatibility and full functionality with a HDPlex or other DC-DC unit is not guaranteed. This information will also be available in the manual.
(EDIT: Irrelevant hypothetically)

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Thanks for the photos el01, looking forward to the instructions. No rush
OK, thanks, I am finishing up renders right now. Just got back from a swim meet with no WiFi and no access to my main PC. Oh well. I'll try to get a metric ton of the stuff done today. (productivity ftw!!!)

Do you have enough parts (PC and LEGO) to build the case (or at least the bottom and side panels) and test fit a system? I don't own any ITX parts, so I can't really test it...

malnosaj

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2018
I've gone through my spare technic pile and doesn't look like I'll have enough pieces, also buying pieces not that feasible. Might be able to mix up technic with regular Lego or might just get a ready made case

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Thanks for the photos el01, looking forward to the instructions. No rush
Due to perfectionism, rendering has just finished. I will start instructions in InkScape. If that takes too long, I will do it in Google Slides. Instructions will be made first in English, then in Chinese, then in my very bad Spanish. If anyone else would like to contribute languages, contact me and we can work something out.
Mods and their instructions will be done in 2 weeks due to personal scheduling.
Dimensions in studs will also be included in case you would like to build a similar version out of System bricks.

(EDIT: I live in the U.S, instructions will be for US Letter sized paper. If more than 2 people want A4 size, I will adapt instructions.)

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Due to perfectionism, rendering has just finished. I will start instructions in InkScape. If that takes too long, I will do it in Google Slides. Instructions will be made first in English, then in Chinese, then in my very bad Spanish. If anyone else would like to contribute languages, contact me and we can work something out.
Mods and their instructions will be done in 2 weeks due to personal scheduling.
Dimensions in studs will also be included in case you would like to build a similar version out of System bricks.

(EDIT: I live in the U.S, instructions will be for US Letter sized paper. If more than 2 people want A4 size, I will adapt instructions.)
A word of caution for the projected instructions release of tomorrow:
They will be copiously long (1 page per step) due to the shadow in the images and my need to have a consistent background across the image.

Hopefully they are easy to follow...

Update 6/28/18: I will try to finish instructions today, but it will be a long shot. Given my OCD and the current rate of handling the pages, you might have to wait until next week.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
@malnosaj @Soul_Est

Finally the instructions are done (with some errors I am too lazy to correct currently:p)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q49p6N-GM2TZF6bTIF31bG3ppHRk28YW?usp=sharing
Source files (no BOM, sorry)^

Actual instructions:
https://sites.google.com/view/efficiency-lab/design/e-lab-computer-chassis/pcc-001

Hope you enjoy!
I will be out until late on the 3rd, sorry if I can't respond to your comments! Thanks!
-el01
Instructions will NOT be available for other languages. Project PCC-001 will continue to be updated, but at a slower rate.
Hopefully you can take a bit of time out of your workday to do the following polls and give feedback on the instructions...

Finally, please answer to this strawpoll so I can see what I should do next.
https://strawpoll.com/5cak5b2w
Also, this one to decide the future of e-lab:
https://strawpoll.com/7h5ss7zx

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
I will consolidate posts and cut out the crap from this thread for efficiency.