Ebony Cube

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Hi!
I'm waiting for my Lazer3d LZ7 delivery, but some parts of my build just arrived!

Motherboard: Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty Itx.
CPU: Ryzen 1700.
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8900quiet (adapted by me! They sent me wrong conversion kit :().
Ram: 2X16Gb 3200Mhz CL16 Corsair Vengeance.
SSD: M.2 NVME 1Tb Samsung 960 evo.
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX550 4G (wating for gtx1080 itx by Gigabyte or RX Vega Nano).
PSU: CORSAIR SF450 (someone can say it's not enough for a 1080, but If i'm not wrong the maximum power consumption will be 350W).
Thermal paste: Grizzly Kryonaut

Temperature on Idle
= room temperature (24/25°C).
Temperature after 1 hour of prime95 with all cores always at 100% = 59/63°C.

The cooler is absolutely quiet also at max speed, I can't hear it and it makes a lot of airflow on bottom and on the sides!

What do you think?
Can I Improve my temperatures once I've installed everything in my case? I mean the big 140mm fan that maybe could help.

Maybe I will go with MSI Aero Itx 1070, because is the most quiet/fresh SFF GPU, I don't think the new Gigabyte 1080 Itx will be so "cool".

No news about Vega Nano. :(

Thanks!

*EDIT* Build complete!

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have an Ncase M1 and if you read the thread over at [H]ard when they were designing the case the best SFX PSU available was the 450watt Silverstone. Those guys were doing builds with 2600k and GTX 680 and then 3770k and GTX 780 and 780 Ti with the Silverstone PSU and not having any problems with it. Those systems used a lot more power than yours will use.

Also reading reviews on the SF450 it actually puts out close to 525 watts before cut off.

Reactions: wesbl

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
PSU: CORSAIR SF450 (someone can say it's not enough for a 1080, but If i'm not wrong the maximum power consumption will be 350W).

The SF450 will handle the GTX 1080 no problem at all. I use mine with a GTX 1070 and it doesn't even break a sweat, the fan literally never comes on! I've tested about half a dozen of them with the same results.

The GTX 1080 may push the PSU to the point where the fan comes on for gaming, but for everything else it will run silent for you.

make sure you point the PSU fan up towards the top panel vents.

What do you think?
Can I Improve my temperatures once I've installed everything in my case? I mean the big 140mm fan that maybe could help.

I don't think you will improve on open air temps, you will most likely see a few degrees increase in temperature. But thats ok because an hour of Prime95 and your only seeing 63C is pretty good going, you have plenty of headroom.

Maybe I will go with MSI Aero Itx 1070, because is the most quiet/fresh SFF GPU, I don't think the new Gigabyte 1080 Itx will be so "cool".

The Aero will no doubt give you the quietest setup, but your taking a step down in performance, so it depends on whether you prioritise noise or performance first?

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
I don't think you will improve on open air temps, you will most likely see a few degrees increase in temperature. But thats ok because an hour of Prime95 and your only seeing 63C is pretty good going, you have plenty of headroom.
I've heard that thermal paste needs "curing" time to reach peak performance, is it true?

The Aero will no doubt give you the quietest setup, but your taking a step down in performance, so it depends on whether you prioritise noise or performance first?

I prefer silent gaming, but I don't know how could be the new Gibabyte 1080 with a proper fan curve...
I also have to consider the monitor, freesync monitors are cheaper and everywhere, so the Nano will be my best choice, but I don't want to wait too much.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Before wondering which gpu you will choose (either 1070/1080), in what resolution and refresh rate will you play?

If it's :
  • from 1080p to 1440p @60hz : GTX 1070 is completely enough
  • From 1440p @60hz or higher to some 4K @60hz with compromise : GTX 1080 is your choice

For pure silent gaming, 1080p 60hz with GTX 1070 is a great choice as you are oversizing GPU for 3D load...Gpu will work at 60% more or less..:D

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Before wondering which gpu you will choose (either 1070/1080), in what resolution and refresh rate will you play?

If it's :
  • From 1440p @60hz or higher to some 4K @60hz with compromise : GTX 1080 is your choice

For pure silent gaming, 1080p 60hz with GTX 1070 is a great choice as you are oversizing GPU for 3D load...Gpu will work at 60% more or less..:D

I want to play AT LEAST at 1440p @60hz, I don't want 4k, but more fps.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I prefer silent gaming, but I don't know how could be the new Gibabyte 1080 with a proper fan curve...
I also have to consider the monitor, freesync monitors are cheaper and everywhere, so the Nano will be my best choice, but I don't want to wait too much.
From what I can tell the Gigabyte GTX 1080 looks almost exactly the same physically as the 1070 version, therefore I am going to assume that the cooling ability of the 2 cards is the same.

i would describe the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX as quiet when you drop the fan curve down, but its not silent. Therefore the extra heat generated by the 1080 will likely mean it runs with a higher RPM fan and therefore more noise.

If it's :

Depends on what you class as acceptable frame rate, and also whether you prioritise high details settings or just a purely sharp image?!

I've just upgraded to an Acer Predator XB281HK, its my first venture into 4K and G-Sync, picked it up for under £400 in a sale as I think this model is end of line.

I've been playing some PUBG on it (when I get a spare moment) and running it with the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX, I've tested out the various resolutions including 1440p and 2160p. The 1070 can run 1440p at medium/high settings and maintain a frame rate around 60 fps. At 2160p the settings have to be reduced to low/medium to keep the frame rate around 40 - 50 fps.

From my testing I actually prefer playing at 2160p (4k) even though the frame rate is lower, in PUBG the extra sharp image really helps you to spot people in the distance, it really open the game up, you also don't really feel the lower fps as the G-Sync is doing such a great job of keeping it silky smooth, it really does work well.

TLDR: I am very happy running my GTX 1070 at 4k resolution with PUBG in lower settings.

Reactions: cmyk78

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Lol...be careful @K888D, last time i bought a 4k screen it led me to cerberus-x with gtx 1080ti to fully enjoy 4k gaming...and i LOVE it..:)

I guess lz12 variant will arrive soon lol..:)

Reactions: K888D

LiquidHazard

Chassis Packer
May 18, 2017
How is the ram clearance with the Zalman?
I was thinking of getting one for my osmi as the wraith spire is right against the psu.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
How is the ram clearance with the Zalman?
I was thinking of getting one for my osmi as the wraith spire is right against the psu.

8mm, but you have to consider the orientation of the Cooler, no problem if you have an Intel, you can rotate it of 180° (Zalman not recomend it on tower cases, but I think that with my configuration will be ok, fresh air will come from side and motherboard will beparallel with the floor).

AIDA64 Stress Test, temperature 43/45°C

Last edited:

LiquidHazard

Chassis Packer
May 18, 2017
8mm, but you have to consider the orientation of the Cooler, no problem if you have an Intel, you can rotate it of 180° (Zalman not recomend it on tower cases, but I think that with my configuration will be ok, fresh air will come from side and motherboard will beparallel with the floor).

AIDA64 Stress Test, temperature 43/45°C

Wow amazing temps, thanks!

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Those sure are impressively low temperatures for a stress test! I presume this was done in open air and not inside a case?

Yes, open air, I've installed everything but I'm waiting for the GPU.
I've turned on the machine yesterday and I've seen that Prolimatech fan generates a huge airflow, so I think I will have at least same temperatures.

The fan is in front of the heatpipes.

Stay Tuned!

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Yes, open air, I've installed everything but I'm waiting for the GPU.
I've turned on the machine yesterday and I've seen that Prolimatech fan generates a huge airflow, so I think I will have at least same temperatures.

The fan is in front of the heatpipes.

Stay Tuned!
Yes the Prolimatech is a great fan, but make sure you back the fan power right down to under 40% (if your motherboard allows it) for idle/normal usage in order to keep noise levels quiet as possible.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
I realized that Aida Extreme not showing right temperatures, there is a Delta of almost 6/7°C, so in my screenshot real temperature is 49/50°C

EDIT

GPU INSTALLED!New test with all components, closed chassis but fan at low speed, later i will check with fan at full speed:

Last edited: