Dynamo Mini

bichael

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
I have a Dynamo Mini on order, two quick questions...
Site still notes backordered, when might restock happen and deliveries go out (just roughly)?
Does it fit okay in S4M case for motherboard with 24pin socket on the side? Looks like it will be pretty close.
Thanks!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hi Michael,

PM me with your email address (the one you used to order the Dynamo Mini), and I will check your order. I believe the most recent batch shipped mid-week as we've just received a restock, but I want to make sure yours wasn't missed.

aguslestari

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 4, 2018
Hi @Kmpkt

i have ordered KMPKT Dynamo 360 DC-ATX since Jan 31 2018, but the last status still
"
Preparing for shipment
We are currently preparing these items for shipment.
"

Thanks...

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I will check with the fine folks at SFFLab for the most recent order sheet. I know they've been really busy, but I haven't received orders from them since before the 31st.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Was so happy to get myne today, especially after a run to the post office to get there before they close for chinese new year! (they 'tried' to deliver yesterday but for Singpost that doesn't seem to involve ringing the doorbell).
But.... I'm having issues. I get a power on light and a spinning fan but no post. Thought it may be something with the motherboard (it's a pretty unusual China model with AMD A8 5545m) but after pulling out my SFX psu from my other build it's running fine with that.
So is there anything special I'm missing in using the Dynamo Mini? The jumper isn't needed for normal use I believe? Only thing that struck me as odd was that for the CPU 4 pin I had to use a particular half of the 8 pin connector which I'm pretty certain isn't the case with my SFX unit, is that normal?
Hoping I'm doing something daft and I don't have a defective unit...

edit - forgot to say the Dell power brick is working fine with my laptop so I assume that's okay.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just to be certain you're using it correctly, the 7.4mm DC-IN plug should be inserted into the pigtailed 4 pin connector (ie. the one on wires). You should then insert the 4 to 4+4 pin connector to the rightmost on board connector (as you are looking at the unit with heatsink facing away) and then insert that into your motherboard. The 4 pin to 6+2 pin connector should be inserted on the leftmost connector (as you are looking at the unit with heatsink facing away) and can then be inserted into your GPU. Once you plug in your AC-DC adapter, a small blue LED should come on as you look at the PCB surface on the Dynamo Mini. If this doesn't come on then either the 7.4mm to 4 pin wire is faulty or the unit itself is faulty. Let me know what happens and I can help you from there.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Seems everything is connected right, not using the PCIE for now. I do see a blue LED on the unit after powering on the PC. I tried without the cpu 4pin connected and get exactly the same result.
Is there any point to try the Dynamo with my other motherboard? It's a pain in terms of disconnecting everything as not sure I can take the gpu out without draining the loop but could try if needed, though seems potentially pointless given things were working with my other PSU.
- edit: was going to try with my other mboard by using my sfx psu for the gpu, not sure if that would have worked but didn't get that far as the dynamo mini doesn't fit on my Msi b85i board due to clash with the ram bracket. So guess I need to get hold of a 24pin extension as the eventual plan was to use it with that board.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
With the light going on we at least know that the barrel connector works. Can you try taking one RAM stick out and seeing if it makes a difference? First one, then the other. Likely won't be a fix but I've had failed power ons with one bad stick before that alleviates with a PSU change. Might give some insight into the problem.