Dune case is back with mini dune case and dune case pro:

Video

Last edited:
Reactions: CountNoctua

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Those pictures look real nice, but holy lack of originality, batman. I feel like if you're going to put this much work into something, get a good designer or two on the team and come up with something at least a little unique. I just can't abide this blatant copycatting.

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2017
Man, you weren't kidding on that. They're even copying the double-sided spherical air intakes! I mean on a certain level I get this a little more than the 2013 Mac Pro inspired design (square parts in a round enclosure always struck me as a little silly), but man, who's the market for this? Committed hackintoshers?

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Those pictures look real nice, but holy lack of originality, batman. I feel like if you're going to put this much work into something, get a good designer or two on the team and come up with something at least a little unique. I just can't abide this blatant copycatting.

Does anyone have any information about this company? I'm curious to know if they have any history besides copying/modifying Apple designs. I will say that I at least appreciate someone making a Mac Pro case that takes standard parts. But as soon as I saw the 'low noise front panel' I was like, 'hey man, that's not cool.'

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019

Agree with this 100%

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I don't mean to be rude, but.. Damn I'm going to hell for this:

That front plate in the Youtube link (I believe that's the noise dampening DiceY plate) makes it look like a cheese grater within a cheese grater :D

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Hmm, I didn't see the Youtube link yesterday. I'm not fond of that video for a lot of reasons, but you can see on the demo unit they have that it looks like it might have a similar surface finish to the Louqe Ghost. I have a feeling that as close as they want to be to being a Mac Pro, they will have trouble getting the anodization right.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Where is my knockoff cylinder case...
They do one of those as well. I agree it doesn't appeal to me, I don't want to ape Apple, certainly not to such an obvious extent. I like the 'special' front panel- I know it doesn't really happen (and why) but I would possibly buy a front panel alone).

At the same time if you do really like the Apple design, but don't want Apple, or just can't justify the cost, then I can see it will have some market. I saw a review on YT and this thing weighs a tonne, that would put me off a bit.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I haven't seen the dune cylinder case actually be available though... Really wanted the cryoig Ola..
Looking at the cylinder images I don't like it, it seems to waste a lot of space for no great benefit. Seems to me you could get some cylinder then 3D print a cage/chassis that slotted into it. That would be relatively easy. Then the backplate needs to be cut out, which would probably mean outsourcing to get a really clean cut. You can get off-cuts of 'plastic' pipe in large diameter (sewerage pipes and so on) that would make for easy work, but also things like stainless. So for me such a case would be quite price sensitive- like £100 not £200.

I have so many half finished projects that you should take anything I say with a pinch of salt but one I've started is a 86-64 (the horrible and pointless Cherry Trail Atomic Pi) SBC in a motorcycle silencer*- a 'straight through' slash-cut chrome job (£50 but can be had cheaper, say £30). For non-bikers these are the sort of things you see on Harley customs. You need straight through as you don't want baffles inside the tube, you want it empty.

Sorry, off topic.

*muffler in the USA I think, in other words not the whole exhaust system, just the bit on the end.

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
huh what do you know but I'm not sure they can even make a case! and really I like the concept of the cylinder case especially the Ola that cryorig... for whatever reason shelved to make the taku instead...

jaytron1

What's an ITX?
Oct 17, 2019
As blatant as it is, this is really an almost exact copy of the Mac PRO, in fairness though, i think it is very well made for the PC...as exquisite as a million dollar cosmetic surgey on a woman, i might give it a try...haha