Log Dual Rad m1 - Project "Long Time Dreamer - First Time Builder"

br0qn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2020

New thread for my initial build plan which moved from here.

Parts short list

casencase m1
mobostrix x570i
cpu5600x
gpu3070fe
ram32gb 3600mhz ballistix
storage500gb wd black pcie4 boot drive / 1tb wd black pcie3 storage

Full parts list (with eye watering tabulation) here

Full album here

I've wanted to build a pc since I was a kid, finally (20+ years later) I did it. I started planning and collecting parts around Sept. '20 and I finally "finished" a couple of weeks ago. Initially, the build was planned to go in the t1, but, after waiting several weeks to finally get a preorder secured, only to then 6 weeks later receive the email about production and aluminum issues, I quickly cancelled and ordered the m1 with hopes that a t1 v2 was not too far off and that I could always move into the case I wanted after issues were resolved and improvements made.

With the m1 now on the way I pivoted, sold a few of the planned t1 parts (ek slim rad, nuovolo aquanaut, etc) and continued buying parts that would hopefully also work in the future t1 v2 move avoiding anything proprietary (nono iceman.) I don't want to say the build was "hard" because it was just a stupid amount of hours looking at reference photos and endless questions directed at some friendly posters (shout outs below), drooling over cool hardware, and ultimately using an electric screwdriver, but I'm glad I had the extra volume of the m1 over the t1 for my first build (especially considering I was dead set on a dual rad custom loop for no good reason.)

Some of the thought process regarding part selection -

5600x + 3070 - best price:performance of the new chips and would be good balance volume:performance in t1

Gentle Typhoons - Radiator mounted they are basically identical performance to noctua (some prefer the GT sound profile even) and they aren't ugly

HJ bottom rad - to be used as side rad in the t1 and some argument that more clearance + less fin density with slim fans = better ( u/stanleyguan )

Fittings medley - I went bonkers

TechN block - look at it

Glacier side mounted - I wanted something that wasn't proprietary and left room for the rear 92mm fan. Also look at it

2 coolant sensors - ordered the passthrough but ended up being unavailable so ordered the probe, passthrough eventually shipped

Currently gpu is on air, but I wanted the loop ready to go as soon as my 3070 ek waterblock preorder ships so bottom rad is passive for the moment.

Aquasuite screen cap with idle temps you can see here.

*note I had/have the rear fan as intake. I tried it as exhaust as you can see in many of the photos in the full album but it was terrible - chipset went up ~10C and the fan was running full speed as I have it set to target 59c on the chipset.

key takeaway - I thought making the side radiator capable of quick disconnecting would be cool, turns out you're insane not to.

There is still a good amount on the todo list but figured worth sharing even in the current state in the event than someone can find it helpful.

todo - sleeve pump cables, waterblock the gpu and install slim fans for bottom rad, replace gpu cable with something that doesn't have a floating pigtail, find better mounting solution for the glacier, replace molex cable with something that doesn't have a floating pigtail, find proper screw to attach my ek ddc heatsink, overlcock stuff/undervolt things, one day move into the t1...

enormous thanks to the guys that held my hand

u/wispy-matt

u/zabeni

u/eedev

+ a special thanks to u/xcharlesy for supplying the maniacal quality 24pin and cpu cables and for coaching me on how to win on bestbuy

Updates should follow, suggestions & questions are welcome.

Hope someone finds this useful.

ps no scalpers were paid in the making of this build