Motherboard Double capacity RAM (2x32GB) and X570 ?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
I’m looking into parts for my next build (still quite a few months ahead still) and I’m doing some research and reading. Using 2x32GB on a mini mobo looks and is very appealing. However except for a couple of reviews I was unable to find an actual real world paradigm of a user review that actually tried it, nor was I able to find any of the double capacity sets for sale anywhere.
so my question is, has anyone in here tried it ? Opinions, advice ? Anyone seen any for sale ?
if I do go down the 2x32gb route, will it be compatible with the ASUS VIII Impact if it’s on the QVL list on the other ASUS X570 boards ?
?

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Have you used PCPartpicker to find any sets? Corsair, Crucial and G.Skill seem to have sets, but availability wherever you're located, I'm not sure.
Asus has a document of QVL memory for the Crosshair VIII Impact under the support section of their product page, I'd definitely stick to the sets they have listed in it, that way if you have any issues you could reach out to Asus support about them, since they actually list them as officially supported.

One question for me, if you're about to drop coin on 64GB of ram, what else is this build going to have????

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I can try it in the next few days on the Impact, I am waiting for it!

At the moment I am using the Asus X570 Strix, with a Corsair Kit 2x32GB 3600MHz C18. I've them fully production stable with the timings: 18,19,19,38,64,640, 1.35V.

And on AIDA they're giving to me a latency of 71,2ns.

CPU is a 3900X not cherry-picked, Infinity fabric at 3600 as well, Vcore Offset -0.1, all the rest in Auto.

I was not able AT ALL to have the CAS below 18, even increasing the voltage to 1.45v.

I think is a memory module limitation. They are Hynix (C???R) 2133MHz JEDEC.

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
I can try it in the next few days on the Impact, I am waiting for it!

At the moment I am using the Asus X570 Strix, with a Corsair Kit 2x32GB 3600MHz C18. I've them fully production stable with the timings: 18,19,19,38,64,640, 1.35V.

And on AIDA they're giving to me a latency of 71,2ns.

CPU is a 3900X not cherry-picked, Infinity fabric at 3600 as well, Vcore Offset -0.1, all the rest in Auto.

I was not able AT ALL to have the CAS below 18, even increasing the voltage to 1.45v.

I think is a memory module limitation. They are Hynix (C???R) 2133MHz JEDEC.

So which specific kit do you use if you don’t mind me asking ?

Have you used PCPartpicker to find any sets? Corsair, Crucial and G.Skill seem to have sets, but availability wherever you're located, I'm not sure.
Asus has a document of QVL memory for the Crosshair VIII Impact under the support section of their product page, I'd definitely stick to the sets they have listed in it, that way if you have any issues you could reach out to Asus support about them, since they actually list them as officially supported.

One question for me, if you're about to drop coin on 64GB of ram, what else is this build going to have????

I’ll have a closer look at the QVL list again. As for your question, so far the build has only a few knowns and many unknowns. It’s going to be in an Ncase M1 v6.1, cpu will be AMD (possibly 3950x), GPU still undecided, ram 64gb if possible, only ssd storage, liquid cooled with custom soft tubing and 240mm rad. The luxury of not having to rush will be a deciding factor on deciding on specific cpu, gpu and the rest of the parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
So which specific kit do you use if you don’t mind me asking ?

I’ll have a closer look at the QVL list again. As for your question, so far the build has only a few knowns and many unknowns. It’s going to be in an Ncase M1 v6.1, cpu will be AMD (possibly 3950x), GPU still undecided, ram 64gb if possible, only sad storage, liquid cooled with custom soft tubing and 240mm rad. The luxury of not having to rush will be a deciding factor on deciding on specific cpu, gpu and the rest of the parts.
Here the link for the memory kit!
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2D3600C18

BTW, I am testing now the same kit on the Impact. With the same config, and offset, launching Blender Benchmark Demo I receive a BSOD.

The memory are working without any problem, but the TRFC timing now cannot go below 650.

I will check later if the BSOD is an Offset issue or Memory issue. Seems the Impact is giving a bit more voltage to the CPU than the Strix.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I confirm that the Impact is less flexible and tolerant than the Strix, at least with my 2x32gb memory kit.

With looser timing, 18,20,20,40,64,680, and voltage to 1.35V, I’ve no more BSOD.

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Well I pulled the trigger on a GSkill set which I received today, it’s the F4-3200C14D-64GTZDC. I checked the QVL list of the Impact again and this kit appears to be on it, although on the box of the memory itself it says it’s only compatible with intel’s z390 boards... I’m still gathering parts for my build and hopefully will have everything by mid-late March. Now waiting for the cpu and mobo.

Will be asking for advice and help if you don’t mind when the time comes.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Well I pulled the trigger on a GSkill set which I received today, it’s the F4-3200C14D-64GTZDC. I checked the QVL list of the Impact again and this kit appears to be on it, although on the box of the memory itself it says it’s only compatible with intel’s z390 boards... I’m still gathering parts for my build and hopefully will have everything by mid-late March. Now waiting for the cpu and mobo.

Will be asking for advice and help if you don’t mind when the time comes.
Cool! Can I ask if you can show me that RAM? Is it the taller version? I am curious!

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Cool! Can I ask if you can show me that RAM? Is it the taller version? I am curious!

Yes it is indeed, here you go:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Cool! Just asked because now they have also the "normal height version". Where did you buy them? I think I will go soon for the new Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 just released!

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Cool! Just asked because now they have also the "normal height version". Where did you buy them? I think I will go soon for the new Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 just released!

Bought it from here: memory.com
What do you mean “normal height” ? Double capacity but regular height modules ??

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Bought it from here: memory.com
What do you mean “normal height” ? Double capacity but regular height modules ??
samsung started producing higher capacity ddr4 ICs a while ago which makes normal height 32gb dimms possible. before that, the only 32gb+ dimms were registered or load-reduced dimms for servers. i think either hynix or micron also make a larger capacity ic for desktop as well. check the latest bios for your motherboard to see if 32gb dimms are supported. tbh that whole asus double-capacity thing was totally unnecessary and very expensive. they love doing ridiculous halo stuff like that for marketing and mind-share. it works. the whole industry knew 32gb regular dimms were on the way, but asus loves being first, and barring first, they love being weirdest(i.e. so-dimm.2, impact vi and vii with those power riser boards, and m.2 risers).

Reactions: fabio and MultiDoc

Marbolite

Chassis Packer
Apr 21, 2019
just for anyone looking here in the future.... I've got a set of ballistix 2x32gb 3600 cl16 set to 3800mhz cl16 using the fast setting on dram calculator working fine with this board.