Does this type of software exist?

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I am looking for a software that can make a full working copy backup of a installed software modeling program on my pc.Simply make the copy and for example if i reinstall windows i just copy paste the backup on my ssd and continue to work with the program without installing it or using passwords and stuff.

Let me explain why. I own a autodesk maya perpetual license, but since 2 weeks ago autodesk decided in a illegal way that perpetual licenses have a life span tied to your workstation life, and if your pc explodes, they will not provide you a activation key.

I am already in touch with a lawyer, but i really need to know if there is a simple way of making a copy of my installed maya and use it all I want without the need to search for keys again.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Drive imaging/cloning should allow you to do that, but I don't know if there's an application-specific way to accomplish it.

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
I find it strange that a license you bought previously had it's terms retroactively changed. That doesn't [usually] happen...now their support and garuntee of providinng said software is always an issue for anything that requires digital download.

Regardless.

Drive imaging/cloning should allow you to do that, but I don't know if there's an application-specific way to accomplish it.

Drive imaging might not even work, depending on how the license is validated, but it's certainly a great place to start.

If it does any phoning home, or hashing based on the hardware once used, it won't work.

IF you just need the key itself you should just be able to store that wherever and reinstall with the old key, or just update the appropriate registry location (windows) to have it stored there again.

If it does any form of phoning home to validate the system it is on (or hashing) you'd need to keep it in a virtual environment that you can port the whole environment from 1 system to another which comes with it's own complications.