GPU Does this make sense as my GPU choice?

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
Hi all, It would be great to get people's views if what I'm thinking of would be a good choice of GPU for my existing build.

I've been running a GTX1650 whilst the great GPU depression has rumbled on (well it depressed me that I might need to pay $2500 for a new GPU anyway!). Now that there's some new options out there I'm thinking of dropping in a 7900XTX as they seem a better option on cost to performance to me and I can live without 5million FPS with RT on.

Its all housed in a NR200P and so I'm constrained to a 3 slot model at 330mm length maximum (not sure it can squeeze in a 3.5 slot and have reasonable airflow?) I would like an AIB model that at some point in the future I can mount on to a water block and make a custom CPU and GPU loop.

Outside of the reference cards I think this gives me a fairly limited choice of models to choose from either ASRock AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming 24GB OC or the Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX PULSE 24GB.

I'm leaning towards the Sapphire model as I'm thinking as its slightly smaller so possibly a touch more airflow around the card. I know the ASRock is factory overclocked higher but would this mean any further differences in performance further down the line if I go for manual overclocking on the water block?

Appreciate your opinion if I'm on the right tracks here.

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
do you have a picture of your case and what you plan to put in it like fans and their placement
also have you looked at the nitro card also although it's 3.5 slot it should fit if you are okay with some wind noise

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
It looks like this @steelfractal. How much wind noise do you mean? I did think about the Nitro version, but was worried with the thickness fitting the case.

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
In terms of what's inside right now.
  1. Strix B550-i Gaming
  2. 5900X
  3. Corsair 750W
  4. Artic 280 AIO
  5. Samsung 970 1TB
  6. Samsung 980 1TB
  7. Included top fans
  8. 2 x Noctua NF-S12A at the bottom.

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
not sure how much noise it would make the best advice I can give is to get your hands on some cardboard and ducktape and make mockups of the different cards that line up with the PCI slots that way you can judge on your own on what feel right

sorry I can't give a better answer

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
not sure how much noise it would make the best advice I can give is to get your hands on some cardboard and ducktape and make mockups of the different cards that line up with the PCI slots that way you can judge on your own on what feel right

sorry I can't give a better answer
Yes I'll do that, I know I'll have to change out the bottom fans already, so will probably put them up top.

Reactions: steelfractal

findingmyfeet

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2021
As an update I've bought the Nitro version and it fits in but as I also upgraded to an SFX-L PSU for the extra recommended wattage. There's not a great amount of room for the cables and I'm not convinced on the bend radius of these being ok.

As such I'm wondering if anyone else has experience of sticking a 3.5 slot card in an NR200P. I think I'll either need to do some mods to it or if not a great idea then to look at a different case. Would appreciate any ideas to take a look at.