DIY RX 480 Nano

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Hey SFF fans,

Today while searching for Vega Nano thingy, I've seen this modded RX 480.

It is basically reference RX 480 (you know, it had a really short board.) and R9 Nano shroud and some kind of cooler with a fan. The guy who built this says he achieved this without touching BIOS, but with a slight undervolt.

The topic is here;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6r45rh/polaris_nano_i_modded_my_rx_480_with_the_r9_nano/

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Bad idea - That heatsink is not designed for that type of fan. It looks like it's taped on - Check the slant of the shroud over the PCB, along the bottom. Something's not right.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
Bad idea - That heatsink is not designed for that type of fan. It looks like it's taped on - Check the slant of the shroud over the PCB, along the bottom. Something's not right.
in the post the guy who did this said it himself, he just took the shroud and fan from the nano and stuck it on the 480

Reactions: Biowarejak

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
So, I get the principle behind what you're saying @thewizzard1, but is there any reason why something like this couldn't work?

Like, maybe someone doing a better job affixing a fan (or fans) to the heatsink with some sort of clipping mechanism? This seems like a pretty fun and interesting project and I'm surprised I haven't seen someone on here trying to hack it!

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
I have a sapphire reference 480, love it to bits. Had a 560Ti before. Indeed AMD missed an opportunity with the size, they could easily have made it shorter. All the cheaper cards seem to have extruded aluminium heatsinks. I'd love to see a 480 in the new Skyreach.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I have a sapphire reference 480, love it to bits. Had a 560Ti before. Indeed AMD missed an opportunity with the size, they could easily have made it shorter. All the cheaper cards seem to have extruded aluminium heatsinks. I'd love to see a 480 in the new Skyreach.

Maybe you'll be the mad scientist to make it happen? :)