Prototype DIY portable gameing PC

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not my type of case but some people do like these! Good job with the makerbeams!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Beautiful attention to detail!

I love how you put little tidbits like power button on its own acryllic (is it acryllic? Perspex?) square, I/O shield snapped to place (with what exactly?), and how everything is flush. Clearly a lot of craftmanship went into this. Ooh and I love the vent design! It's like superman style krypton runes or something.

Man that inspires me... Someone ought to do a vent design based on the One Rinf inscription!

oliveoil

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2019
Interesting! How did you do the mounting of the various components to the frame? What are the dimensions/volume? It also looks like you used 20mm aluminium profile beams instead of makerbeam (10mm), is that correct?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That's a really well executed case. Very practical and I think looks better than the GEEEK counterparts. What kind of angle pieces did you use on some of the sides to make the acrylic sit flush inside the beams?

And guessing from the cross section of the beam profiles it looks to be Makerbeam XL, which are 15mm square.

KBZ

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019

I love how you put little tidbits like power button on its own acryllic (is it acryllic? Perspex?) square, I/O shield snapped to place (with what exactly?), and how everything is flush. Clearly a lot of craftmanship went into this. Ooh and I love the vent design! It's like superman style krypton runes or something.

Man that inspires me... Someone ought to do a vent design based on the One Rinf inscription!
The exterior is acrylic.
Recent ASUS products have an integrated I / O shield and motherboard.
vent design is Ancient character.it is Hylian alphabet.

Interesting! How did you do the mounting of the various components to the frame? What are the dimensions/volume? It also looks like you used 20mm aluminium profile beams instead of makerbeam (10mm), is that correct?
This is a 20mm frame. DIY 10mm frame is minor in Japan.
150mm/188mm/360mm 10.152L! It was bigger than A5 ...
The hole pitch of the motherboard and the width of the frame are matched and hung with a spacer.
GPU fixes the riser cable to the frame and the brackets with spacers. You can see in the photo from the top.
The power supply unit is fixed by creating an acrylic bracket on the middle frame.
Supported from below by acrylic brackets.

That's a really well executed case. Very practical and I think looks better than the GEEEK counterparts. What kind of angle pieces did you use on some of the sides to make the acrylic sit flush inside the beams?

And guessing from the cross section of the beam profiles it looks to be Makerbeam XL, which are 15mm square.
This frame is made in Japan.
Brackets that fit 3mm or 5mm side plates are available.
Although the current thickness is 3mm, this acrylic is deformed by thermal expansion, so we are considering changing to 5mm to reduce distortion.
Especially on the GPU side.

Reactions: CountNoctua

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I love how you put little tidbits like power button on its own acryllic
I really dig the power button too!

This is a 20mm frame. DIY 10mm frame is minor in Japan.
150mm/188mm/360mm 10.152L! It was bigger than A5 ...
The hole pitch of the motherboard and the width of the frame are matched and hung with a spacer.
GPU fixes the riser cable to the frame and the brackets with spacers. You can see in the photo from the top.
The power supply unit is fixed by creating an acrylic bracket on the middle frame.
Supported from below by acrylic brackets.
Working with 20mm frames looks to have more options than with the 10x10mm ones from MakerBeam.
Especially these right angles support inside the corners look very convenient, even with the possibility to attach the side panels directly to them, brilliant!

More pictures of the inside would be appreciated!

What is this white circles we see on the GPU CPU side?

EDIT: wrong side

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

KBZ

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Look carefully at the white circle.
Can't see the hamster running in the center?
He is protecting the CPU.

Originally designed with a 15mm frame, it was changed to 20mm because the bracket for fixing the side panel could not be used.
I would like to challenge if there is the same bracket with 10mm frame.

Please wait for the photo.
Because there were many business trips, it was necessary to create this PC.
I am on a business trip, but I do not have a PC at hand.
What photos do you want to see?

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Look carefully at the white circle.
Can't see the hamster running in the center?
He is protecting the CPU.
Haha I thought I was looking at the GPU side, I recognize the CPU fan now!

Originally designed with a 15mm frame, it was changed to 20mm because the bracket for fixing the side panel could not be used.
I would like to challenge if there is the same bracket with 10mm frame.
I never saw such bracket in the MakerBeam accessories.
They could be 3D printed I bet, but will they be sturdy enough?

What photos do you want to see?
Some closer shots of the inside, like how the motherboard is attached with these long standoffs, how the GPU is fixed up there, the PSU acrylic bracket, a bottom pic, ... all the clever things you put into this! ;)

KBZ

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019

Sorry for the time
Do you see what you want to see?

Reactions: BaK and CountNoctua