Completed DIY "laptop" / portable PC (5.4 litres, 17'' screen)

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Two... hundred... and ninety... holes... Don't have proper tools so drilled by hand with 6mm drill bit, then rounded the edges with 8mm bit.
Longer cables finally came - bluetack and original antennae above the monitor, 50cm pigtail cables behind the monitor, slack to attach to the network card - I can fold antennae for transport, unfold them for perfect WiFi and bluetooth - finally no interference!

Pigtail cables fit ideally through cutouts in network card housing - no more sticking out antennae on the back!
Rubber feet were leaving nasty black rings on furniture when everything heated up, replaced them with simple plastic screw caps - much better, also more stable with a cap in the middle (there's a hex standoff roughly in the centre to support the top lid, but screwed only from the bottom).

4 screws in the top lid and everything assembled - 5.4 litres final-final-final build finally built!

Now only waiting for a Ryzen 5700X at a good price and an RTX 4070 or Radeon 7800XT release. It never ends 😃

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I've had something similar to this on the drawing board for months. I was going to go for a S4M style case with a monitor built into one side of it. Ideally the case would have a set of legs to keep it upright, and the monitor would have some tilt. Final build will be all-in-one gaming tower about 5.5 liters. I think choosing an lcd panel is what's really holding me back, as I really don't know how to find a decent one and how I go about integrating it into a build. I need to do a lot more research.

Reactions: timginter

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
S4M style case with a monitor built into one side of it. Ideally the case would have a set of legs to keep it upright, and the monitor would have some tilt. Final build will be all-in-one gaming tower about 5.5 liters.
Nice! Sounds like one of my earlier designs from this post where hardware box was behind the monitor. Didn't work for me - the hardware box was heavier than the bottom box and when not on a flat surface it made the whole design flip back. Should work well for you, though, if you mount the hardware behind the monitor and have a sheet on hinges as a base/leg, but unfolding behind/under the hardware box, not in front "laptop style".

I think choosing an lcd panel is what's really holding me back, as I really don't know how to find a decent one and how I go about integrating it into a build. I need to do a lot more research.
What screen size are you planning? I started with a 17'' LCD panel and controller board from this post, but it was a pain. In the end a 17'' 1080p 144Hz portable USB-C monitor with the same specs was pretty much the same price. Also has speakers (mine are poor, but they are there) and easy brightness/volume/etc. adjustment. Looks better without 3D printing a case, too.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
What screen size are you planning?
I'd need a 15.4" or smaller panel. Probably smaller. My latest case design is ~4L and ~390mm from corner to corner, so 15.4 would be just about perfect. Ideally it would just mount to the side of the case somehow so I wouldn't have to design a shell for it. Like I said, it's going to take some design work.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
I'd need a 15.4" or smaller panel. Probably smaller. My latest case design is ~4L and ~390mm from corner to corner, so 15.4 would be just about perfect. Ideally it would just mount to the side of the case somehow so I wouldn't have to design a shell for it. Like I said, it's going to take some design work.
I have Porpoise 17.3'' 144Hz and it's great, it also has VESA mounts, but it doesn't look like they do anything else than 17.3'' in 144Hz https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100008.2.744a3049QJH8jl

Portable USB-C monitor sounds like a good option, though. With VESA mount you could drill the holes in the case and attach the monitor straight to the side panel and manage cables like in my build... or just ghetto double-sided tape for something without VESA mounts ;) Like Arzopa G1 15.6'' 144Hz portable monitor

Sounds like an interesting project, though

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I have Porpoise 17.3'' 144Hz and it's great, it also has VESA mounts, but it doesn't look like they do anything else than 17.3'' in 144Hz https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100008.2.744a3049QJH8jl

Portable USB-C monitor sounds like a good option, though. With VESA mount you could drill the holes in the case and attach the monitor straight to the side panel and manage cables like in my build... or just ghetto double-sided tape for something without VESA mounts ;) Like Arzopa G1 15.6'' 144Hz portable monitor

Sounds like an interesting project, though
Thanks for the links. Those both look like really nice monitors. Annnd I'm obsessed with my project again :) To make those monitors work, I assume you have to have a DP to USB-C adapter from your GPU, then a separate usb-c from your motherboard for power?

Reactions: timginter

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Thanks for the links. Those both look like really nice monitors. Annnd I'm obsessed with my project again :) To make those monitors work, I assume you have to have a DP to USB-C adapter from your GPU, then a separate usb-c from your motherboard for power?
Nice, glad to spread the bug ;)

Yes. Some may work with just one USB-C (video and power) - I have another Porpoise 15.6'' 1080p 60Hz monitor and can connect it with just one USB-C cable off of a Thunderbolt port.

My 17'' has a USB-A to USB-C for power and HDMI to USB-C. The cables from 3rd post in this thread (in "Peripherals") have a wrap near the ports - you can cut the wrap, connect to the monitor, bend the cable in a U shape around the connector and route the cable behind the screen like described earlier in this post

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
@aromachi , if it's a tower / all-in-one build, why 15.6''? Feels really small to sit on the desk anyway. My lapdesk is about portability and I already feel 17.3'' is a minimum, something larger would have been better.

If I were building a static setup, I would take the same hardware as for my lapdesk, a 27'' 144Hz monitor with a VESA mount and make a custom bracket for the mount to have the hardware attached behind the monitor. 3D printed cases for each component (or spray-painted 1.5mm aluminium sheets). A 27'' all-in-one with all the junk hidden behind the monitor :D

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
@aromachi , if it's a tower / all-in-one build, why 15.6''? Feels really small to sit on the desk anyway. My lapdesk is about portability and I already feel 17.3'' is a minimum, something larger would have been better.

If I were building a static setup, I would take the same hardware as for my lapdesk, a 27'' 144Hz monitor with a VESA mount and make a custom bracket for the mount to have the hardware attached behind the monitor. 3D printed cases for each component (or spray-painted 1.5mm aluminium sheets). A 27'' all-in-one with all the junk hidden behind the monitor :D
That's pretty much what I'm using now. My 5L case sits at the corner of my desk right behind a massive 2k 27" acer monitor. It's a very compact setup and it works very well in my small house.

BUT... it's all about going smaller. When you say "why 15.6''. Feels really small".. well, just you saying that gets my heart racing and makes me want to spend the rest of the night in CAD perfecting my next concept. And I'd love to have a mini setup like this in a padded case for hotel stays and LAN parties with the buds instead of lugging around my ageing laptop. I can always use dual monitors at home.

something larger would have been better.
Watch your mouth! You don't talk like that in here. XD