Did I miss something on the new X570 Boards

lazy868

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
So I've truly started planning my build, and I've noticed something (or maybe I may have just missed it in the pics/videos floating around).

There seems to be a lack of USB Type C headers on the new X570 mini-ITX boards, I'm planning to either go with an SM550 or A4-SFXv4 and I would like to have full functionality of my front ports.

Guess I'll have to stick with a Z390 Intel build (specifically that Asus board).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You could get one of those small PCBs that plug into standard 3.0 headers to convert the two lanes there to a single 3.1g2 lane? I believe SilverStone and Lian Li (?) make one each, and you can find them on Aliexpress or similar sites too.

Other than that, from what I can see the DTX (and likely exorbitantly expensive) Asus board was the only one with a 3.1g2 header.

lazy868

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 22, 2019
So there's hope yet! Now to wait and see how the 3000 chips perform and how hot they get.

But this still begs the question, you'd think that as newer chipsets release, a 3.1g2 header would become more mainstream, especially on smaller boards.
I'm seeing more peripherals using the connector now as well.
I guess it's still a luxury/novelty item on larger boards for now.

Reactions: glow

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
So there's hope yet! Now to wait and see how the 3000 chips perform and how hot they get.

But this still begs the question, you'd think that as newer chipsets release, a 3.1g2 header would become more mainstream, especially on smaller boards.
I'm seeing more peripherals using the connector now as well.
I guess it's still a luxury/novelty item on larger boards for now.
The connector, in some ways, is larger than either a straight USB-C port or the 20pin header for USB-A. That 20pin header gives two USB-A ports, too. There is a higher density version of the USB-C header (in the IF specs, anyways), but I have not seen it used in any consumer product so far.