King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

I was experimenting the following setup:

Motherboard : Gigabyte H110-TN
CPU : i5 6400T
GPU : 1050 Ti powered through the onboard 4-Pin Mini Fit JR used as output.
AC Adapter : modded Dell DA-2 18A 12V

It worked perfectly fine until I had the good idea to update the bios to the latest version.

After the update, I had to do a clear CMOS to get the PC to boot.
The 1050 Ti wouldn't display anything anymore.

Then, I installed the motherboard back into the case, without the GPU.
Upon boot, the CPU fan spins intermittently then stops, then spins again, then stops... but no display from the internal HDMI port.

Do you know what may I have gone wrong ?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I did the same thing trying to split an AC-DC adapter over a 4570R Gigabyte Brix and 750Ti. In my case both units were fried. I'm trying to make heads and tails of what you've done for wiring here, but it looks like you overloaded something.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
OK the PC is now working ! With the upper so-dimm only.

It appears that the lower so-dimm slot does not work anymore SINCE the BIOS update.

I tried with two different kits of so-dimms (two 8 Gb HyperX 2133 and two 4 Gb 2400 Corsair Vengeance).
Same result with both kits : the PC only boots with the upper stick alone.

Do you think downgrading to a former BIOS will solve the issue ?

Regarding the wiring, I'm using the onboard 4-Pin Mini Fit JR used as passthrough to output 12V to the powered riser.
Worked fine until I updated the BIOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean, I'm no expert, but I'd say you should try rolling back the bios and seeing if that works. At the very least if it doesn't you know you need to look for some other issue.

Reactions: jtd871 and Phuncz

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Which one are you referring to ? There are two type of connectors :

• The DC barrel connector is rated for 10A @12V, which should be enough for an i4 6400T + GTX 1050 Ti + one mSata drive + 16 Gb DDR4.
  • On that particular Gigabyte board, the usual 2-Pin Mini Fit Jr that you can see on all Thin Mini-ITX boards has been replaced by a 4-Pin Mini Fit Jr, which can carry 18A @ 12V. According to Gigabyte support, which I emailed few weeks ago, this connector is acting as a direct passthrough and outputs the voltage of the AC adapter without any voltage regulation.
Meaning there shouldn't be VRM issues => nothing should fry ?

I've been doing that with an Asrock H110-TM-ITX to power a GTX 1060 with an HDPLEX 250 for more than a month. It works great.
Please refer to the Thin Mini-ITX thread.

I also wanted to test the Gigabyte H110-TN as it accepts 12V input (while the Asrock is limited to 16-24V).
With a single 12V AC adapter, you could power both your system and a discrete GPU.

Which worked until that BIOS update...

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah doesn't seem like a power issue then. But it's very odd that a BIOS update would disable a RAM slot.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Maybe I should have updated step by step ?
I used the latest BIOS, which is the 4th version.

Since my mobo is now supposed to support Kabylake CPU, I am going to test the G4600T I just received.
If it doesn't solve the issue, I'll try to flash the mobo back to the original BIOS.

EDIT : I should have read more carefully...
  1. Support 7th generation CPU
    * This BIOS prohibits updating to earlier version BIOS

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
So good news, nothing fried and everything is working as intended :)

- I put back my trusty Asrock H110-TM-ITX into my case and tried the Inno3D GTX 1050 Ti compact => works great.
BTW, the original fan is awful. Having only 2 wires, it's always running at full tilt.
I replaced it by an old Zalman VF1000LED and run the 1050 passively.

- The Gigabyte H110-TN works just fine with a Kaby Lake CPU (a nice G4600T). Both so-dimm slots are recognized and set to 2400 Mhz without any BIOS fix.
As I had the feeling, the new BIOS only works fine with a KL CPU.

I'll try again with a PEG-less GPU to see if everything now works fine.